My first double rifle - I love it

Old thread...Fantastic looking rifle, wood and engraving. How is it doing for you now, 5 years on? Is it a sidelock, or a boxlock with side plates? Anything you'd do differently now?

It's a boxlock with side plates. Would I do anything differently now? I think not, I'm pretty happy with it. It works well and there's nothing about it that bothers me. The ability to user regulate 9.3 barrels came in handy when I scoped it and needed a faster load for the rifle to regulate with both scope and irons.

Actually, if I was doing it again I would probably get the factory to fit the scope and scope mount on the 9.3 rather than do it later. Save the extra trip to the gunsmith. Initially, I wasn't gonna scope it but eventually decided it would be nice to be able to hunt at night with it and the scope is a legal (and practical) requirement.

Thanks for reviving this thread, that is one gorgeous double @Opposite Pole! What have you hunted with it so far?

So far Boar and Red and Roe deer. Haven't been to Africa yet but naturally, this is a matter of time. The plan is Buffalo and Elephant. And if/when I relocate back to OZ, then it'll also be scrub bulls and Water Buffalo. I loved chasing them up in the NT and will surely do it again.

Beautiful Kreighoff. What loads do you run through yours? I understand that the Kreighoff warranty unfortunately doesn’t cover the use of monolithic bullets in their wares?

I was also told as for Solids, Krieghoff's Barrels are a bit "Soft"?
I believe I previously commented on this build however!

I was also told as for Solids, Krieghoff's Barrels are a bit "Soft"?
I believe I previously commented on this build however!
I've heard that Krieghoff, Wesley Richards and Holland & Holland do not recommend the use of steel jacketed solids in their barrels. However I don't think this applies to the new monolithic solids used today like the Barnes Banded Solids, Woodleigh Hydro and CEB Safari Solids. There is a huge performance difference between the Kynoch ammo of years past and current ammo production. Conformation from the manufacturer would be the best because "internet information" is only so good.

@Daniel Cary @BeeMaa
I asked Krieghoff about the use of mono projectiles:

My question:
I have a Krieghoff double rifle with two barrel sets 470NE and 9.3x74R . Can monolithic, non-lead ammunition such as Barnes TSX or Woodleigh Hydro Solid be safely used in the rifle?

Krieghoff's answer:
You can safely use non-lead ammunition such as Barnes TSX or Woodleigh Hydro Solid with your rifle.

Thank you .. Another or different distributer mentioned the barrels being soft for solids

.. I'm sure I couldn't even afford to shoot that many rounds, where integrity would be compromised.
do luv the K.

@Daniel Cary @BeeMaa
I asked Krieghoff about the use of mono projectiles:

My question:
I have a Krieghoff double rifle with two barrel sets 470NE and 9.3x74R . Can monolithic, non-lead ammunition such as Barnes TSX or Woodleigh Hydro Solid be safely used in the rifle?

Krieghoff's answer:
You can safely use non-lead ammunition such as Barnes TSX or Woodleigh Hydro Solid with your rifle.
Excellent. Thank you for the information. All I need now is a Krieghoff rifle to shoot these bullets out of. :unsure:

As they were so kind to you...I should see if they are willing to sponsor me with a Hubertus in 7x65R with an additional barrel in 9x74R. Or go for it all and ask for a Big Five in 500/416NE.

Excellent. Thank you for the information. All I need now is a Krieghoff rifle to shoot these bullets out of. :unsure:

As they were so kind to you...I should see if they are willing to sponsor me with a Hubertus in 7x65R with an additional barrel in 9x74R. Or go for it all and ask for a Big Five in 500/416NE.

Hubertus is one fine looking rifle.

Good thread. Nice cases, etc .. Krieghoff does market some a lot of swag.
1669211043109.png

Have not seen this thread before, very nice looking double indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YaniraGoug

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg