Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mozambique, Argentina
I've been fortunate to shoot a number of buffalo over the years. Here are pictures of my two favourite. One is a bit over 42", while the other, well, who knows? Didn't seem worthwhile to measure his horns.

So which one of these two, do you think I like more than the other? And which one would you rather take?

P1080227.jpeg

DSC02104.jpeg

I've been fortunate to shoot a number of buffalo over the years. Here are pictures of my two favourite. One is a bit over 42", while the other, well, who knows? Didn't seem worthwhile to measure his horns.

So which one of these two, do you think I like more than the other? And which one would you rather take?

View attachment 621976
View attachment 621975
While I love both I prefer the top one…just me. I do admire those who prefer the bottom one. I’m just not there yet. I have taken three now just not there yet

Top one for sure!

I haven’t shot enough buffalo yet to appreciate an old scrum cap bull, as of now they do nothing for me…

Variety is the spice of life. Why not hunt both ? Start with the top one, since that’s the one you'll want to mount. Go after the second one after you begin to appreciate hunting, merely for the sake of the hunting itself.

They are both great bulls. The top one would be chosen by someone who has less experience...the scrum cap by someone who has taken more than a few buff. I haven't seen a scrum cap in the wild yet. Still hoping to someday!

For a first buffalo, the first one. Everyone wants a representative to hang on the wall. After that, age, character, lion-chewed ears, one eye missing, one broken horn (or two). That's the ticket. :)

Personally, I’ve never seen a scrum while hunting but would 100% take him and hold out for him if I knew about him.

I like broken or deformed stuff that gives an animal more character. Give me the old, worn, lion scarred, broken horned, blind in one eye animal every day and twice on Sunday.

I would assume the specifics of the hunt probably make one more memorable than the other, but for me I think the scrum cap is tops. I probably would have chosen the same on my first, but no doubt if I had a side by side choice I'd drop him on my next hunt!

Obviously to each their own - I can’t disagree with anything posted here. And I certainly understand someone wanting a nice buffalo with a good set of horns as their first.

But I will say that scrum caps are few and far between, and of the few I’ve seen, all have been old warriors which have been as wary and difficult to hunt as any, and more difficult than most. And to me, that’s the beauty of buffalo hunting. Done right - tracking from water - it’s a great opportunity to see Africa from the ground, to see trackers at their best, and to really work for a great trophy. Add the scrum cap to the list and you’ve set yourself a real challenge. I found this one on the last day of a 14 day hunt and we’d looked over a lot of buffalo before finding him. And even then, I was lucky to get the shot - a narrow window in tall grass, which made the follow up even more interesting.

Any other scrum cap pictures out there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarnellZoo

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt