My calibers for hunting in Africa

What an odd thread.
Yep, bizarre indeed. I guess that I am joining the ranks of those who have already signed off out of it. Not sure what this guys thinks or wants, but I am done trying to help him...
Let him go "invent creatively" his own reality and shoot large PG at 875 yd with his .308. It is his money after all...
Based on his apparent ignorance of and disregard for ballistic objective realities, I am not overly concerned for the game at that distance, but God Bless the PH who ends up with him!!!

Last edited:
If you are not prepared to bring a proper rifle to Africa better stay at home. With proper rifle I mean something like a .375 H & H or 9,3x62.

If you are not prepared to bring a proper rifle to Africa better stay at home. With proper rifle I mean something like a .375 H & H or 9,3x62.
Reading several posts of this thread it seems that everyone has and use the 308 to hunt in Africa.

Many times I have repeated and pointed out that I will NOT hunt large game or dangerous game, but only small and medium antelopes.
To do this why I could not use a 308 that I know well and use for so many years but I should use a 375 HH?

Explain it to me because I can not see any good reason.

Last edited:
Our animals can be quite tough, if you wound something you have to pay so a bigger caliber is better. You have never been to Africa before, or am I wrong? But after having seen and smelled Africa you want to come again and again. So why not bring a rifle along which is suitable for everything? But if you can't handle a bigger caliber, never want to return to Africa and now only want to shoot something relatively small then why not using a .308.

This is going nowhere - I’m out

The Lord gave you two ears and one mouth so that you may listen twice as much as you speak.
Good luck 308W.
My Lord gives me somthing more: a brain for thinking my self.
Why did you forget it? Was not it the same for you?

Our animals can be quite tough, if you wound something you have to pay so a bigger caliber is better. You have never been to Africa before, or am I wrong? But after having seen and smelled Africa you want to come again and again. So why not bring a rifle along which is suitable for everything? But if you can't handle a bigger caliber, never want to return to Africa and now only want to shoot something relatively small then why not using a .308.
Thanks for your answer.
I'm sorry for you but you are wrong, I have lived in Africa for a couple of years.

Have a look here, I have seen a lot of hunters are using 308 for hunt the same kind of games I would like to hunt.

After my third antilop wounded and lost, because of the weak 308, the day after I will buy a 375.
The day after, not the day before. :-)

Last edited:

So! Do you like " One Day"s African battle arsenal?

He is pretty innovative and uses his head for something more than a hat rack.
Don't forget hat rack can be more useful then ostentation.

After my third antilop wounded and lost, because of the weak 308, the day after I will buy a 375.
The day after, not the day before. :)

That is a sad comment right there. You are willing to wound and lose 3 animals before you decide to get something adequate to do the job? The .308 will kill even the biggest antelope in Africa. I can guarantee you that. Anyone who says differently has a very limited view of what a premium high velocity .30 caliber bullet can do. If a .308 can kill a large horse (and it most certainly will), It will kill an eland. Its just a matter of using the best bullets and keeping ranges sane (not 500 yards). But most importantly, waiting for a good shot that doesn't hit heavy bone and can penetrate through the vitals without a bunch of superfluous stuff in between. Then you could use the .308. Unfortunately, that shot may never come and you will be tempted to shoot something obliquely and end up with a wounded animal that just cost you $5,000.

There have been many instances of even the largest plains game being taken with a 7x57 mauser shooting premium bullets. HOWEVER, I would feel more comfortable with a little wiggle room. So a magnum .30 or a .338 would be PERSONALLY my minimum. Others can use what they like. Since my rifle collection goes .223, 6.5x55, .375 H&H, .416 Ruger... I guess I would be taking my .375 H&H since a 6.5x55 is not what I want in my hands for a 1,200-2,000lb antelope.

Last edited:
Have a look here, I have seen a lot of hunters are using 308 for hunt the same kind of games I would like to hunt.

And what game exactly would that be? Some have asked and you have not replied, perhaps for what you want to hunt it could be ok, but what animals you plan to hunt????

The day after, not the day before. :)

That is a foolish statement!!!

You seem to be some kind of know it all long range sniper type of hunter, who never misses....

Not sure why you ask, if you know it all.

Go and hunt what you like with your 308 W, I hope you would be man enough after wounding three to come back on here and say, I should have listened!

By the way what is better? Two Fiat's or one Ferrari?

If I were you I would add a controlled round feed bolt action in .375 to the arsenal. Equip it with iron sights you are comfortable with and a quality 1-6x or 1-8x scope in quick detachable mounts. That and the .308 will do anything you want to do. If you get a bad case of elephant or buffalo itis you can add a larger caliber later if you feel the need.[/QUOT

I should add that you have received a lot of good advice in this thread. I doubt that there is anyone on this thread who has not used a .308. Most of us own at least one. It's a good medium range cartridge for medium sized game. It can stretch out there for ringing steel, but I for one would not use it on game past about 400 yards. It drops like a rock and sheds energy quickly. However, I do not hunt at long range. If I am going to hunt, I want to hunt. When I want to play at long distance, I do it on steel plates.

Some trolls apparently hunt and own guns.

:S Troll:

Gun expert
upload_2018-11-14_8-29-36.png

And what game exactly would that be? Some have asked and you have not replied, perhaps for what you want to hunt it could be ok, but what animals you plan to hunt????
Many times I have said "smaller then eland" or "about 200 kg" but you haven't seen...
Isn't it enogh for you?
Are you asking a list with the names of the antilopes?

That is a foolish statement!!!
If you are not able to read or understand what I wrote, it doesn't mean it is a folish statement, it means you have to reread it.
My statement was: "After my third antilop wounded and lost, because of the weak 308, the day after I will buy a 375."

Is it more clear now?

You seem to be some kind of know it all long range sniper type of hunter, who never misses....
WOW clever! :A Big Hello:
You seems a kind of shooter/hunter who believes the big calibers make you infallible.

By the way what is better? Two Fiat's or one Ferrari?
WOW another clever question!
Obviously two Fiat if we need two cars etc.

WAB,

If you take a shot at an animal at 400 yards you are indeed long range hunting. Isn't that almost a quarter of a mile?

The problem these days s that 1000 yards isn't really being thought of as long distance by some either and quite a few are even believing that hitting a steel plate makes a person a legitimate threat to game animals is a fallacy.( I am not thinking of you with that paragraph)

Guys are shooting at steel plates at 2 miles and I have yet to understand what exactly are they really attempting to accomplish?

A fella asked me if I could build him a repeating rifle in a round called a 375 Warlord. My response was," what's that"?

It supposidly thrown a hand carved 400 grain bullet at 3500 fps at I imagine enough foot pounds to knock a train off it's tracks.

I believe that he wants to take out some giant elk that are in some deserted section of the planet, but I'm not really sure.

A few years ago I built a 1000 yard hunting rifle, not a bench gun, in 30-378 that in every way possible cold shoot 5"s at 1k just to find out that it was me who couldn't do it and about 12"s was my best, which is unacceptable to hunt with. The kid who got the gun could and does.

A 308 attempting to kill African antelope at 600 yards is a joke in my book and even a bigger joke if the shooter and/ or shooter is incapable of shooting 1/2" or less 5 shot groups. And with that the energy just ain't there.

These days I would realistically take a shot of 600 yards while laying down with with a properly scoped 378 Weatherby throwing a 300 grain Nosler Accubond LR and be really confident that the bullet will hit with a 3 inh circle and blast a great big hole with all sorts of goo flying out the exit.

My buddy from Alabama who is the best off hand rifle shot I've ever seen told me that even if he was laying down to shoot he wouldn't shoot a deer past 300 yards with his 308.

I should add that you have received a lot of good advice in this thread.
You are right, a lot of good advices, many misunderstandings and some trolls.

I doubt that there is anyone on this thread who has not used a .308. Most of us own at least one. It's a good medium range cartridge for medium sized game. It can stretch out there for ringing steel, but I for one would not use it on game past about 400 yards. It drops like a rock and sheds energy quickly. However, I do not hunt at long range. If I am going to hunt, I want to hunt. When I want to play at long distance, I do it on steel plates.
Thanks to this your post, I have the opportunity to specify also to those who prefer not to listen or not understand, I have always talked about distances up to 500 meters.
This means from 50 to 500 meters including 100 - 200 - 300 and 400 meters, but it seems that many of you here don't wanted to understand.
What a strange behavior! :cool:

In any case I repeat and confirm it, with the 308 Win. it is possible to kill games of 200 kg. up to 500 meters!
This does not mean only at 500 meters. but up to 500 meters

I hope everyone understands it, including trolls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BernardoCh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with