Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
'Twas the night before safari and all thru the house not a creature was stirring not even a mouse. Except for me, I am a restless, sleepless louse. For I am leaving in the morning to hunt the Niassa with a PH names Strauss........

So basically you will be first hunter of the season enjoy it.

'Twas the night before safari and all thru the house not a creature was stirring not even a mouse. Except for me, I am a restless, sleepless louse. For I am leaving in the morning to hunt the Niassa with a PH names Strauss........
Love it!!! Good luck brother!!!

Give Jaco a hello from me.

Good luck.

This will be a good report ! Safe travels and happy hunting!

(y)(y)

The Niassa in Mozambique is great and probably the best way to get the same species as available across the border in the famous Selous in Tanzania at a more affordable price. Good choice and good luck!

Phil Have a great safari!

Already looking forward to your hunt report.

We are a couple months behind you to being in camp.

Have a grand adventure. Looking forward to the report.

Good luck and enjoy every minute of it!

Well the good Mrs PHOENIX PHIL and I are sitting here at Phx Sky Harbor awaiting the start of the airline journey to hunt with @KWALATA SAFARIS in the Niassa concession that Jaco hunts there. Not sure how this hunt report will go. I know there is internet coverage in camp, but not clear on the bandwidth. So I’ll start this will the boring stuff that someone may find useful in the future.

So as mentioned @AZ KJ, my long time friend and hunting buddy as well as myself and wife will be hunting with Kwalata. I’ve known Jaco Strauss for as long as I’ve known Jacques Spamer. While I’ve represented Jacques all these years and it’s been fun to be a part of and watch him grow his business, it’s also been fun to was Jaco’s career progression.

Not too long ago when he secured this Niassa block to hunt, it immediately hit me that I’d need to do this hunt. And I’m so looking forward to this. In case anyone is wondering, I’m still repping for Jacques and @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS and plan to continue to do so. It’s simply as yet he does not have any area in the Niassa where I’ve wanted to hunt for awhile now.

Animals to Hunt:
Cape Buffalo, Spotted Hyena, Niassa Wildebeest, whatever else comes along that Donna would like.

Rifles:
Chapuis .470NE, my trusty M70 .375HH

Ammunition:
North Fork Bonded Cores and Cup Point Solids for the double, 300gr North Fork Bonded Cores and Flat Point Solids for the .375HH. Flat point solids for use on any of the “tinies” that may show up.

Travel:
For the first time since our first trip to RSA in 2010, we are flying on Delta Airlines. I have become a big fan of both Qatar Airways and Emirates in recent years. And I can’t say Delta has ever impressed me that much. But as much as I tried, I just couldn’t put together a desirable itinerary on QA/Emirates. Furthermore, one reason QA has been such a favorite choice was there fares were so good. But that changed this past year, they went up considerably. So in the end Delta won out due to better itinerary and considerably cheaper.

Complicating the itinerary is getting to Pemba, Moz. I followed Jaco’s advices (which many others would concur with) of not using Air Mozambque and choosing Airlink instead for getting from JNB to Pemba. There is one daily flight that leaves out of JNB at 11:30am. This is where it gets a little challenging with other airlines. The itineraries had us getting in with only about 1-1.5 hour layover in JNB, which is not enough when traveling with weapons. Or a long layover where we’d have arrived in JNB at like 3:30am.

The Delta flight arriving the night before the Moz flight just made more sense. We will overnight at City Lodge which after some 24 hours of travel is just fine. So far Delta is doing well. The nice part of flying them out of PHX is their gates are at Terminal 3. T3 is much smaller and less busy than Terminal 4. We walked right up to the counter at check-in. The lady there was friendly and on her game. She said she wasn’t an expert in handling firearms, but she was great. Off then to TSA for a nice surprise. In Term 3, the TSA guys have a type of X-ray machine the run gun cases thru. They don’t require you to open the case and do the swab down. All of about 2 mins and we were on our way.

So in a couple hours we should be on our to ATL and the DL200 flight this evening. All for now.

Good luck buddy
I am on Flighr 200 Friday and staying at City Lodge. I like that route and it has worked very well for me. I will see how I like comfort+ and row 30

Animals to Hunt:
Cape Buffalo, Spotted Hyena, Niassa Wildebeest, whatever else comes along that Donna would like.

You might want to add Roosevelt Sable and eland with some luck you might even bump into daylight bushpigs.

Enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richardtar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt