MOZAMBIQUE: My safari With Juan Pace Of Chasseurs de Mocambique

And then some....

A google search, brought me back to this forum...

I recognize that my report is in stark contrast to the other reports people have submitted regarding their experiences with Juan Pace. I've no reason to doubt any of them, and I offer no defense or even comment on his conduct when it didn't include me. My sole intention in posting here was to give an honest account of my own experience with Juan Pace over the course of a month long safari in 2023, and based on that personal experience, give him a recommendation as an outfitter.

It's not my intention to rehabilitate Juan Pace's reputation, or convince anyone that they should book him instead of any other outfitter. This is a forum for relating our experiences to like-minded folks seeking information, and my review is just one of many. They can all be true and valid accounts, even if they have very different conclusions.

My review was very open, and I made it complete and accurate to the best of my ability. I don't ask for any special consideration, other than to respect it as a first-hand account made entirely in good faith. I don't pretend to offer a complete picture of Juan Pace, just a snapshot of my interaction with him.

Sounds like a PR write up....never read/heard anything good about Juan pace
Zim PH Lloyd Yeatman was completely screwed over by the guy, years back.

My review was very open, and I made it complete and accurate to the best of my ability. I don't ask for any special consideration, other than to respect it as a first-hand account made entirely in good faith. I don't pretend to offer a complete picture of Juan Pace, just a snapshot of my interaction with him.
This is exactly, how I understood it. (y)

I wanted to check in again with another update about the trophy shipment. At this point there is a huge hang-up in the States by the USDA regarding trophy importation: as of July 1st they implemented a new rule requiring more stringent procedures for clearing imports and it's creating a massive hardship for hunters like me. I don't understand all the changes, but suddenly I can't use Anchorage as my port of entry, and my customs broker here can't help me without herself flying to an approved facility in another state. I need to contract with some other broker who can physically go to one of the few designated ports of entry where my shipment would land and personally take a cordless screw gun to go open the crate up so the bureaucrats on site can inspect it and then allow the top to be put back on... They refuse to open crates themselves. And they're only willing to inspect 30 crates a day, so if it's not my lucky day then there are storage fees (of up to $200/day). Then, I have to figure out how to have my leopard and buffalo eventually DRIVEN home to Alaska, because all the domestic airlines refuse to transport any "Big 5" trophies inter-state. I can't afford to have all my taxidermy done at once, which is why I need delivery to my residence for storage, although the baboon trophies have to go directly from the port of entry to a taxidermist.
Did I mention it's a mess?
Marie Wannenburg at EMIAC (with offices in both Mozambique and South Africa) has been really terrific; professional, caring, attentive... everything I could ask for. And Juan Pace has been in touch also, offering encouragement and whatever assistance he can. But I'm feeling really jammed up here in the States. I'm looking at other brokers with an understanding that New York, Chicago, and Atlanta are the three places I should concentrate on finding someone local to facilitate the "clearance" or "inspection" or whatever the technical name for this is. I'm all for conservation and anti-smuggling efforts, and I'd really like to see that accomplished without these additional burdens of time and money being demanded of me and all the other good guys out there.
The shipment has been dipped, packed, and is ready for crating, but it's not leaving Africa until things are squared away Stateside. It's stressful, and it's not like the rest of my life decided to suddenly become hassle free, either. I'm taking a bit of breather, as EMIAC has graciously offered to hold my shipment for a while. There's a place in Anchorage trying to qualify as a USDA approved facility for import inspections, but who knows how long that's going to take. Sooner or later the inefficient and expensive policy in place now will be refined (or replaced), but how long do I want to wait?
I'd love to have these trophies in my possession, but until then all I have to do is close my eyes and I can see them again in my mind's eye, big as life. It's the adventure I prize most of all, and that's with me always.
(Not that a frickin full body leopard mount wouldn't be pretty damn cool, though...)

I wanted to check in again with another update about the trophy shipment. At this point there is a huge hang-up in the States by the USDA regarding trophy importation: as of July 1st they implemented a new rule requiring more stringent procedures for clearing imports and it's creating a massive hardship for hunters like me. I don't understand all the changes, but suddenly I can't use Anchorage as my port of entry, and my customs broker here can't help me without herself flying to an approved facility in another state. I need to contract with some other broker who can physically go to one of the few designated ports of entry where my shipment would land and personally take a cordless screw gun to go open the crate up so the bureaucrats on site can inspect it and then allow the top to be put back on... They refuse to open crates themselves. And they're only willing to inspect 30 crates a day, so if it's not my lucky day then there are storage fees (of up to $200/day). Then, I have to figure out how to have my leopard and buffalo eventually DRIVEN home to Alaska, because all the domestic airlines refuse to transport any "Big 5" trophies inter-state. I can't afford to have all my taxidermy done at once, which is why I need delivery to my residence for storage, although the baboon trophies have to go directly from the port of entry to a taxidermist.
Did I mention it's a mess?
Marie Wannenburg at EMIAC (with offices in both Mozambique and South Africa) has been really terrific; professional, caring, attentive... everything I could ask for. And Juan Pace has been in touch also, offering encouragement and whatever assistance he can. But I'm feeling really jammed up here in the States. I'm looking at other brokers with an understanding that New York, Chicago, and Atlanta are the three places I should concentrate on finding someone local to facilitate the "clearance" or "inspection" or whatever the technical name for this is. I'm all for conservation and anti-smuggling efforts, and I'd really like to see that accomplished without these additional burdens of time and money being demanded of me and all the other good guys out there.
The shipment has been dipped, packed, and is ready for crating, but it's not leaving Africa until things are squared away Stateside. It's stressful, and it's not like the rest of my life decided to suddenly become hassle free, either. I'm taking a bit of breather, as EMIAC has graciously offered to hold my shipment for a while. There's a place in Anchorage trying to qualify as a USDA approved facility for import inspections, but who knows how long that's going to take. Sooner or later the inefficient and expensive policy in place now will be refined (or replaced), but how long do I want to wait?
I'd love to have these trophies in my possession, but until then all I have to do is close my eyes and I can see them again in my mind's eye, big as life. It's the adventure I prize most of all, and that's with me always.
(Not that a frickin full body leopard mount wouldn't be pretty damn cool, though...)

Get a hold of the following Broker in Seattle. Has own warehouse in Seattle and will hold for clearance. Then throw on Lynden Barge. He is a wizard at this game!!!

Don Wallace / Vantage Point Services
22513 Marine View Dr. Ste 200
Seattle, WA 98198
206-878-8884

don@vantagept.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sophia17T8

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]