MOZAMBIQUE: My safari With Juan Pace Of Chasseurs de Mocambique

Who is handling your export from Mozambique? My animals from 2014 sat in camp for almost 4 months waiting for a full truck, the sable and buffalo both had hair slippage, not a big deal on the buff but the sable was a different story, the Wildlife Gallery did a good job on making it presentable. I was the 2nd hunter that year so I really can’t blame the camp as I watched and made sure they were fleshed well and salted well. This was in the humid delta not the dry inland areas like Niassa.

Taken in and around fly camp.

20230904_055242.jpg
20230917171434.JPG
20230917171439.JPG
20230917172530.JPG
20230917174824.JPG
20230917180352.JPG
20230917180534.JPG
IMG-20230822-WA0003.jpg
20230917180415.JPG
20230917180425.JPG
20230917181257.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is handling your export from Mozambique? My animals from 2014 sat in camp for almost 4 months waiting for a full truck, the sable and buffalo both had hair slippage, not a big deal on the buff but the sable was a different story, the Wildlife Gallery did a good job on making it presentable. I was the 2nd hunter that year so I really can’t blame the camp as I watched and made sure they were fleshed well and salted well. This was in the humid delta not the dry inland areas like Niassa.
EMIAC

Thanks for posting the pics! Those kopje land forms, forests and surrounds are as distinctively Africa as wildebeest, especially in some areas I’ve been in Zimbabwe and Mozambique. Curious, the second group of pics are I assume in RSA. Looks a lot like KZN up from Durban??

Last edited:
I'
Thanks for posting the pics! Those kopje land forms are as distinctively Africa as wildebeest! Curious, the second group of pics are I assume in RSA. Looks a lot like KZN up from Durban??
The photos of fly camp and main camp are from Niassa, Mozambique, and the lodges are all in RSA. I'm afraid I don't understand your location references, but here's where the lodges were located, with Uitvlugt being the furthest south in Mpumalanga; Voorburg furthest north (on the border with Zimbabwe); and Thakadu furthest west (on the border with Botswana).
We didn't intend to hunt out of Uitvlugt - it was only a stop of a couple days to take a break, although we did try a nighttime predator hunt for jackals, without success. The hosts, Kobus and Vera, were so terrific that I'm grateful to have been their guest, if even for a short stay.
The Voorburg property doesn't currently allow hunting - my understanding is that it's due to legal issues about ownership of the estate after the death of the original owner, which is working its way through the courts. The animals seem to have caught on pretty quickly to the fact that they're no longer in danger, so we were able to have some close encounters. We did hunt other properties nearby, but didn't take a shot at anything.
The Thakadu property is really massive, bordered by a tributary of the Limpopo River (where we went bass fishing on our last evening there). This is where we finished up our plains game hunting.

Screenshot_20230916-144622_Maps.jpg

I want to mention that my 30.06 ammo is Barnes Vor-Tx, 180 grain tipped TSX boat tail. I've been using these exclusively for over a decade, and they are flawless performers. Every recovered bullet looks like it could be used in their advertising! My rifle loves them, shooting MOA year after year. African animals seem to be particularly tough to kill, but if I do my part and make a good chest hit then these bullets will guarantee me a one shot kill.

20231106_151206.jpg

I'

The photos of fly camp and main camp are from Niassa, Mozambique, and the lodges are all in RSA. I'm afraid I don't understand your location references, but here's where the lodges were located, with Uitvlugt being the furthest south in Mpumalanga; Voorburg furthest north (on the border with Zimbabwe); and Thakadu furthest west (on the border with Botswana).
We didn't intend to hunt out of Uitvlugt - it was only a stop of a couple days to take a break, although we did try a nighttime predator hunt for jackals, without success. The hosts, Kobus and Vera, were so terrific that I'm grateful to have been their guest, if even for a short stay.
The Voorburg property doesn't currently allow hunting - my understanding is that it's due to legal issues about ownership of the estate after the death of the original owner, which is working its way through the courts. The animals seem to have caught on pretty quickly to the fact that they're no longer in danger, so we were able to have some close encounters. We did hunt other properties nearby, but didn't take a shot at anything.
The Thakadu property is really massive, bordered by a tributary of the Limpopo River (where we went bass fishing on our last evening there). This is where we finished up our plains game hunting.
Got it, understand the locations now, Thanks

Last edited:
I've told the story of connecting with Big Toe the Cape Buffalo, so now I’d like to share the story of the leopard hunt. My PH took a video of it, which is the sole posting on my YouTube channel, “Tom’s” (yeah, I didn’t spend too much time coming up with a clever name). Here’s the link:

I’ll give you some background and narration: We’d been hunting for almost a week - driving all day, collecting baboons for bait, checking old sites for activity, setting up new ones, and building and sitting in blinds. There were a couple of nights when it seemed like a leopard might have been coming in, but something would put him off, and we hadn’t yet seen one in person.

The bait tree in the video is on the bank of a dry riverbed. Well, mostly dry – there was some water still flowing from the really heavy rains there earlier in the season. The first time we got to this site our tracker, Maxwell, became very animated. “Here! Leopard will be here!” He was excited like I’d not seen him before. There were leopard tracks around (also lion), but we’d seen lots of leopard sign at the other sites, including photos on trail cams, and he hadn't reacted like this. Our PH, Leo, didn’t want to use the tree branch overhanging the path of the vehicle, but Maxwell was insistent. “Must be here! Yes. I promise, leopard here”, and he would stab his finger towards the ground and smile at us, eyes wide with anticipation. Leo was the boss, though, and they set up the bait site about 75 yards upstream from this tree.

We came back the next morning to find that army ants had taken possession of the baited tree, and Leo decided to abandon it. Maxwell again advocated for the tree at the river crossing, so Leo decided to give it a shot and that’s where the bait was hung. The day after that we returned early to find the bait had been hit, and Leo showed me pictures of the big old cat that the trail cam had taken all through the night . He skipped to the last one and pointed out that the time stamp on it was less than 20 minutes ago! We might have just scared him off, but he definitely wanted to stay at this site. We crossed the riverbed and Leo organized the trackers in establishing a blind, 140 yards directly across from the bait site, then we left to finish our morning rounds.

We came back about 4:00 that afternoon to sit and wait. It gets dark at 6:00, so that would give us time to get situated and let everything settle down. After eight days of this I was feeling a bit worn - tired, hot, dusty, and not particularly looking forward to another butt-numbing sit in a blind. I had absolute faith in Leo and no doubt it was just a matter of time until success, but I was starting to fade.

It was after 5:30, and the sun was creeping away when Leo’s motion detector gave a buzz. We both sat right up to investigate; he was glassing with his binos, and I was leaning into my scope. After several minutes of no movement Leo suggested that it might have been some bats out in the early evening that set off the motion detector. I went back to trying to get comfortable in the camp chair.

After another five minutes or so Leo calmly says, “Your leopard’s in the tree.” At first I thought he was just trying to bring me to attention with some encouraging joke, but immediately I realized that Leo hadn’t ever, not one time, joked about hunting, and I jolted into position on my rifle. It was set up on sandbags, on a frame of bamboo, rock steady and aimed at the bait. I didn’t see anything at first, so I started scanning towards the tree trunk. Then I saw what looked exactly like a leopard standing on the branch.

Now, all of us who’ve spent a lot of time in a stand know that there comes a point where you start seeing your quarry just standing there in the brush, but it’s a trick of light and shadow and wishful thinking, and no matter how hard you stare it just never comes to life. I thought that might have been happening to me, seeing a leopard in the dusk, just a trick of light and shadow that I wanted to be real. I'd never seen such a thing in real life, after all, so how could I be sure it wasn't a phantasm? It was too dark for Leo to take video, except through this infrared device Bluetooth connected to his phone, but there was still good shooting light, enough for me to make out the fantasy cat through my scope, a Leupold 3-9x40 dialed up to give the best combination of magnification and field of view.

This is where the video picks up. As you can see, the leopard is just standing there broadside, big as life, Prince of the forest. Leo is talking me through the shot, but I’m thinking I’m hallucinating, and I don’t know what to say. Finally, at the 00:15 mark, I mumble “He’s not moving”, just to let Leo know that I’m a little lost in my head. Leo agrees it’s not moving, starts talking me into the shot again, and I ask for confirmation (00:26) that it’s “facing up the tree”. By now Leo must think I’ve gone completely bonkers. Then the leopard turns and looks in our direction (00:29), which breaks the spell I’m under and I realize this is really, really happening. One more time I ask for confirmation that we’re both seeing the same thing (00:44), and after that I was completely focused on the shot – I tuned out Leo’s voice, got control of my breathing and heart rate, picked out the very spot I wanted my bullet to hit, and made a clean trigger break.

I lost sight of the leopard with the recoil, but then I see the tree branch is empty and I think somehow I missed which gives me an immediate sense of panic. Leo says, “He’s down” (01:00), which I confirm, and it's such a relief to find him in the scope again. I just know he’s dead, and I’m feeling absolutely stunned, immobile with fascination, until Leo tells me to reload. Then it hits me… I just completed a leopard hunt! I actually got a leopard! I manage a “Holy shit” to celebrate the moment (01:18), then make my confession to Leo (01:50). It was fully dark by the time we left the blind, recalled the truck, and made our way back over the riverbed. Walking up to that magnificent cat was an adrenaline high like no other.
Maxwell never really said "I told you so", and I don't know how on earth he did it, but, man... he called it! Much respect, Maxwell.

Glad you had a great hunt you got some great animals and I dearly hope your trophies find their way home.

@GreenT Thanks for adding more to your excellent report. And the fotos as well. A couple of random thoughts: The area you hunted in Moz....and even the camp.....look amazingly like where I hunted. I took my own rifle......a Sauer 8X57 bolt loaded with 200 grain X bullets, and like always, they too worked perfectly. Despite the comfort of having my own familiar rifle, I also will never take a gun back to Mozambique......it would take several paragraphs to describe the fiasco, but suffice to say once is enough. The gin traps, poaching, corruption and red tape make hunting Mozambique a real challenge, but the reward is still there. Thanks for sharing more of your adventure. .................FWB

@GreenT Thanks for adding more to your excellent report. And the fotos as well. A couple of random thoughts: The area you hunted in Moz....and even the camp.....look amazingly like where I hunted. I took my own rifle......a Sauer 8X57 bolt loaded with 200 grain X bullets, and like always, they too worked perfectly. Despite the comfort of having my own familiar rifle, I also will never take a gun back to Mozambique......it would take several paragraphs to describe the fiasco, but suffice to say once is enough. The gin traps, poaching, corruption and red tape make hunting Mozambique a real challenge, but the reward is still there. Thanks for sharing more of your adventure. .................FWB
The pleasure's all mine, sir!
The bureaucrats of Mozambique were a royal pain in the ass, but once out of the airport we were free to to be amazed by the country and its people.
I'm sure the anti-poaching effort of the concession holders in Niassa contributed to the impressive quantity and quality of animals we saw. Not that I have anything to compare it to, of course, but it seems fair to draw that conclusion. It wasn't something I was aware of before, but asking a prospective outfitter if they have an anti-poaching program in place might be a good inquiry to make from now on.

It sounds like the MWA area is very well managed! Did you see any elephants?

It sounds like the MWA area is very well managed! Did you see any elephants?
We did, several times during our travels. There was a bull hanging around a river course near our first leopard blind that we saw a couple times; there was a cow and calf that came in one night and passed right next to our blind; saw a small herd of females and calves once; and I've posted a picture of a bull we saw (under "Around Main Camp" - it's the one with the big ferns, and the elephant is centered in the photo).
The elephant population was devastated during Mozambique's recent wars, but it's recovering, thanks in no small part to the conservation efforts of concession holders like MWA. They're very proud of their stewardship, as well they should be. The results are impressive and worth sharing.
Our PH was very leery of being around the mature cows, though, because he believes they're the survivors of the rampant poaching and consequently carry a lot of animosity towards men with guns. He had stories of them being really aggressive, but we had no issues.
At any rate, I don't think elephant hunting is an option there; everyone talked about going to Zimbabwe for them.

When I hunted Mozambique with a different PH if we crossed a fresh elephant track while tracking buffalo the hunt stopped right there! He said the elephants there were so mean from being shot during the war that as soon as they saw or smelled humans they charged. While I was in hunting we came across two poachers that naturally took off running as soon as they saw us, splitting up so we couldn't chase both of them. A couple days later the other hunter that was in camp found one of them dead, killed by elephants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Africa._.child

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]