MOZAMBIQUE: Disappointing Hunt Booked With Hunt It All

I'm Sorry that found one of the "Pitfalls" of booking an African Safari and like someone stated its always best to get recommendations as there a plenty of good operations that have happy client that will provide this.

Touch wood, I've been extremely fortunate with this.

I think Terry and Mark sold animals that where not there in Mozambique, at least no in that hunting concession....which is a major misrepresentation. I'm sure hardly anyone knows the whole story...this is the way these stories go..I have been around enough to know. The fact Terry and Mark have said nothing...says a lot....enough said from my side.

That's why on a hunt like this that you only pay for daily fees, if the animals aren't there you are only out the daily fees. Nobody can say you didn't hunt hard enough for the animals.

Jim, I have no stick in this fire, beyond the fact that I am a hunter who books hunts. Sergei shared a very credible complaint against Terry and Co. and that resounds with all hunters concerned about this type of risk when they book a hunt. It does nothing for your business of booking hunts/referring hunts to have someone up and close shop and not respond to the problem. The fact that you offer that as a defense for Terry and Co. illustrates that you don't quite get it.

The fact that you are disturbed enough to respond to these posts leaves me with the impression that YOU are invested, NOT Terry and Co.. I am glad your two clients had good experiences, that is not the point of this thread. At minimum, Terry and Co. have not addressed a complaint by a paying customer on the other end of the spectrum, who knows...

"There is no reason for Terry or Mark to comment." "They have not hidden from any one, ...."
There certainly is a reason to comment if you are a responsible, reasonable business man. Terry and Co have responded here by their absence and failed to properly address a complaint to the satisfaction of a customer.

As you stated in your first post "he has decided not to book any more trips in Africa at this time." "At this time" means Terry and Co. has stopped booking for now until the wind dies down, in all likelihood.

As Louis states:
Wow what a mess.
What really saddens me is that not one representative has made any attempts to take responsibility or set the record straight?

...... we are done with hunting/booking trips in Africa so why care.

It is funny how easy it is just to ignore a problem if you have nothing invested!

Sergey ....... your complaint has at least helped to prevent the same thing from happening to other hunters.
Louis van Bergen

Perhaps Terry and Co. can contact Sergei, since it is his pocket book that has been effected, now that you have made Terry and Co. aware of the problem and Sergei can let us know the remedy that he and Terry and Co. worked out to address the issue.

I look forward to hearing that Sergei and Terry and Co. were able to reach an equitable arrangement.

Sergei, thanks for the heads up....

For what it's worth... I corresponded with an outfitter in South Africa who responded once to this thread and was involved with these guys at first, but bailed out when they learned what they were up to.

He said exactly what has been stated here, that Cunliff was selling hunts for animals that did not exist in the concession. He said that area of Mozambique has been plagued with poachers, as Sergei stated he and his group witnessed, and that the plains game is virtually gone. In his opinion, hunting should be banned for about five years in that area to allow the game to recover. But this also would require strong enforcement, which doesn't seem to be a strong suit of the Mozambique Government. He stated it was as the PHs told the clients, that area right now is really only good for elephant, bushpigs and perhaps a couple other species, but that cape buffalo are nowhere in that area. You have to go several hundred miles north. He said he put too much trust into these guys and that he and his fellow African partner found themselves in a bad situation.

He said he and his partner bailed out of their partnership with Cunliff and his plumber friend as soon as they found he was booking such hunts and not heading their warnings against doing so. He said they lost their investment -- a fair amount of money up front to them (for what I'm not sure) -- but got out with their reputations in tact. In our string of private correpondance, the guy came across as very credible, and what he said, as a PH in Africa, corresponded with what Sergei was saying.

And like others have said herein, the fact that Mr. Cunliff won't bother to respond is just another nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. He's bailed out of the business and apparently doesn't care what people think. Well, guilty or not, the proponderance of the evidence herein lies with the disappointed client and former business partner. If he doesn't care what people think, then I don't think people ought to place much credibility with him or consider doing business with him. It's just a matter of consideration. were he still in business, the risk/benefit analysis would tell me avoid him. The fact that he's bailed out of the business without comment tells me he did his thing and bailed when it did work out. In my book, that's not the way to deal with a situation.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Hope this plays out fairly,whichever way. One thing is for sure though...neither of those dudes or their stall would have attracted MY attention at any show! Dude with the cap has shifty eyes and that just doesn't work for me.

Man sues Louisville safari company after failing to see lion or buffalo
by Jason Riley from the courier-journal.com in Louisville, Kentucky
May. 16, 2011

A New York man claims he paid a Louisville company $28,000 to go on an African hunting safari after being promised access to “huntable quantities of both lion and cape buffalo.”

Instead, Richard Washburn said the trip to Mozambique was “a complete disaster,” plagued by lost guns and vehicle breakdowns and ending without him ever seeing a lion or buffalo, according to a lawsuit filed against the company, Hunt It All Inc., on Thursday in Jefferson Circuit Court.

Washburn claims he saw “one old lion track” 12 days into the trip, but did not see any other sigh of lions or buffalo during the 18-day safari in October 2010.
The lawsuit against Hunt it All and two representatives, Mark Willman and Terry Cundiff, also alleges that even if there had been lions and buffalo in the area, the company had failed to arrange for the appropriate number of roads and trails to have access to the animals. And the company, which began in 2005, dissolved shortly after the trip, Washburn claims in his lawsuit.

Besides the money paid to Hunt it All, Washburn also is seeking $7,600 in airfare and other costs for the trip, claiming the company “negligently, recklessly or intentionally misrepresented the truth.”

Claims made in filing a lawsuit present only one side of the case.

Cundiff did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Willman said in a brief interview that the company is not active, but declined any further comment, saying he “wasn't aware of any lawsuit.”

Reporter Jason Riley can be reached at (502) 584-2197.

VERY interesting. Now, on the accused's side, it makes sense they will not comment publicly if there is a lawsuit involved. That's only good practice. However, again, one would expect a quick note simply to say, "I cannot comment due to potential litigation." But, for what it's worth, it makes sense they're being silent.]

THAT said, this is a separate guy who is stating the same. And again it's not just a case of no animals -- the client's supposedly wanting a canned hunt -- but the PHs were left sitting holding the bad without the funds having been sent to them to carry out the hunt. All in all, it reads as a total debacle. That's the worst part! The lack of food, the fact that the PHs were left in the lurch regarding what the client's actually expected, etc. And again, the guy I spoke with said they bailed out of their partnership with Cunliff and Willman back in August 2009 when they learned they were selling hunts for animals that weren't available in the concession. He said they were warned, but continued with this nonsense, so he bailed out of his business deal, taking a financial loss before his reputation was trashed. Again, that was August 2009, more than a year prior to this debacle of a hunt Sergei wrote about and which Mr. Washburn has initiated a law suit. So, this is far more than "one unsatisfied client" as Jim wrote.

I won't get into the other specifics the former African partner stated to me in our correspondance, as it was in confidence. If he thinks it appropriate, he can write herein for himself. However, the interactions he related having with Cunliff after signing up to conduct business with him are highly disturbing to say the least. His opinion appeared to be that Willman was perhaps caught in the middle. His ire was mainly with Cunliff for unethical behavoir and dishonesty.

What do you want?????

The owner is available to speak to. He is NOT going to answer a hit piece on this forum. Sergei wanted a canned hunt. Read the lengthy diatribe by Sergei.. Got a problem the owner is not hiding, call him. Sergei has not called or asked for a refund according to the owner. Sergei is not using his full name or taking responsibility for his comments. NOTICE Sergei has not responded since the second post.
The owner has stopped booking there is nothing more to answer. You can not be "Taken" if he is not running his business any more and FOR THOSE WHO CLAIM HE WAS A CROOK, he is not hiding, not the actions of a criminal. He can be called and will respond on the phone OR IN PERSON at his offices in Kentucky. WHAT DO YOU WANT??? Why should he come on here and say anything about this Sergei? ONE COMPLAINT ... ONE... What is the point of answering he closed his business. He is disgusted with the problems he found in operating, and getting rich jerks who wanted a canned hunt, and were willing to make scurilous complaints. Discussion Closed...
OH and for those who have businesses in Africa who come here and side with Sergei... I DO HOPE the advertising pays off for you and SERGEI books with you. I find coming on here to pile on another outfitter, a bit slimy as far as a business is concerned. Next time Sergei may chose to go after you.:mad:

Wow what a mess.

I think one thing is for sure, you are better off talking to the owner of an operation at least then you know who to corner about complaints.

What really saddens me is that not one representative has made any attempts to take responsibility or set the record straight?

No offense intended to anyone who is trying to build up a business, but the hunting industry is full of PH's with only a truck and hunting frame who are part time builders. We are seeing it in Zim, Mos and have been suffering from it for quite some time now in South Africa it is far to easy to make a quick buck and as soon as it becomes work just disappear. I think in this instance it is pretty much the same story, we are done with hunting/booking trips in Africa so why care.:vomit:

It is funny how easy it is just to ignore a problem if you have nothing invested!:rolleyes:

Sergey I am really saddened to learn of your unfortunate experience, hopefully your complaint has at least helped to prevent the same thing from happening to other hunters.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

You can not be "Taken" if he is not running his business any more and FOR THOSE WHO CLAIM HE WAS A CROOK, he is not hiding, not the actions of a criminal. He can be called and will respond on the phone OR IN PERSON at his offices in Kentucky. WHAT DO YOU WANT??? Why should he come on here and say anything about this Sergei? ONE COMPLAINT ... ONE...

Jim,

Care to comment on the lawsuit then? Seems like there is more than ONE (as you put it), and with a similar story. Not to mention, an outfitter who has posted on this thread too about his dealings with Terry and Mark.

Maybe, just maybe, you've fallen into their trap?

I have not seen anything about a "Lawsuit"?
Who filed it and where are the "OTHER" complaints.
Terry bought land in Africa, totaling several million dollars. He set up a business with a PH.
He is available for comment through the website, his phone works, I TALKED to him on Monday.
Call him if you have an issue... That is all I am saying. I got drawn into this because of some video I shot at a sportsmans expo. I have known Terry for a few years IN KENTUCKY. I know he runs a quality operation here, have sent folks to him, and have recommended him for fish stockings. Other than that I am simply quoting what was said when I asked Terry about the situation. He was unaware of this forum and the complaint and feels that any reply now that he closed the business is useless. END OF STORY. CLOSE THIS DISCUSSION PLEASE. I do not have time to take away from my business to defend a ONE COMPLAINT WONDER ON HERE.

Jim,

Care to comment on the lawsuit then? Seems like there is more than ONE (as you put it), and with a similar story. Not to mention, an outfitter who has posted on this thread too about his dealings with Terry and Mark.

Maybe, just maybe, you've fallen into their trap?

I love getting responses from unnamed people who have NO NAME>. Graybird???
I hate forums like this that allow anonymous questions and complaints with no regard to responsibility.
Either give us your name and back up what you say or it is useless.
My name is my USER NAME... not a handle. I stand by what I say and will not answer any more comments without name and address that I can verify. I have no confidence in any complaint made or comment when you hide behind a "Handle" like Graybird, or other name.

Jim

you have no bone in this fight...you filmed a presentation and some one has used it...

My advise to you is to stay off this single forum... As you said you were drawn into it...it would have been better for you to have remained silent...

It is out of your hands...

I love getting responses from unnamed people who have NO NAME>. Graybird???
I hate forums like this that allow anonymous questions and complaints with no regard to responsibility.
Either give us your name and back up what you say or it is useless.
My name is my USER NAME... not a handle. I stand by what I say and will not answer any more comments without name and address that I can verify. I have no confidence in any complaint made or comment when you hide behind a "Handle" like Graybird, or other name.

And i do sign my Name...

Jim,

Actually, for what it's worth, I don't read Sergei's report as a diatribe at all. It comes across as measured and giving both the good and the bad of what happened.

Notice he states, as bad as the hunting was, it was a real adventure regarding the crocodile and the story behind it. He also mentioned poaching as being rampant. Again, not Mr. Cunliff's fault. As I said, I spoke with a PH who claims to have been a former partner with HUNT IT ALL who told me all about the problems he learned regarding poachers in Mozambique and how the plains game in that area is scare because of it. What he said mirrors what Sergei said about the area. But they weren't there on a plains game hunt. They were there for buffalo and Hippos. He said buffalo just aren't seen in that area very often and the hippos weren't there during the season they booked.

Also, notice Sergei doesn't blame the lack of food and bait directly on Cunliff, but simply states that since he paid HUNT IT ALL for this hunt, he expected a partial refund due to the problems. He said Cunliff was very polite in his first two emails when he asked for details for him to follow up on with the PHs, but then he never replied again. And shortly thereafter they closed their doors for business. Sergei claims they refused to respond thereafter.

Your stated these are rich jerks making scurilous complaints. Again, I don't see that in the report. It was just a matter of fact kind of... "Here's what went well, and here's what went wrong." But in the end he wanted a partial refund due to the fact that this area is completely devoid of buffalo and he's complaining he got blown off, with Cunliff and Willman apparently shutting down the business.

I've written the PH I correponded with to see if he wishes to make any comment. I'm waiting to see if I get a response. Last I spoke with him he said he was heading out on a hunt. He was not involved with this expedition Sergie and his friends were on. Rather, he reports having got out of business with Mr. Cunliff in 2009 after having lots of problems. Some had to do with the country of Mozambique, some were with HUNT IT ALL. He said they are in South Africa, but figured on conducting their business in Mozambique too. He said he got involved with HUNT IT ALL hoping to expand their business with Mrs. Cunliff and Willman as their booking agents, but had lots of problems at the get go. Eventually, they bailed out because they didn't trust them anymore. And as I understand it, he's not doing any more hunts in Mozambique, at least for the time being.

For what it's worth, I tried writing Mr. Cunliff but got no answer. The websites are still up and the addresses don't come back as having been turned off. But no one responds to emails to them. This said, as you pointed out, it's pretty much a moot point being they're now out of business.

I have not seen anything about a "Lawsuit"?
Who filed it and where are the "OTHER" complaints.

Maybe try reading my post about half way down the 3rd page? Actually, it is post #46.

Just as a note Jim, the HUNTITALL African Safari website still comes up months after this business was shut down. www.huntitall.com. It's not a dead site, but is still operating as active. No one answers emails, but the site is active and can be navigated.

Also, the guy I spoke with was not happy about his trophy photos still being used even long after he had severed his ties with HUNTITALL. That said, he noted he simply didn't have the contacts or finances to get involved in litigation to force him into taking the photos off this site. He said he and his partner simply cut their losses before things got any worse. Again, that was supposedly back in 2009 before this issue with Sergei's group.

I'm just curious why the HUNTITALL website is still operational if they're out of business.

Jim, you sound like a straight up guy, and I will therefore tell you this as it is without stories or tall tales. I at least will give you my first hand experience of this issue. You can take it for what it is, or leave it. I for one will not reply to any response after this. IT is what it was......
Me, as the contracted consultant, as well as 5 other PH's told Terry never to offer for sale Buffalo, Lion or other PG. Elephants yes, Sable a little and maybe maybe a Leopard.
Terry never owned an acre of land in the country of Mozambique. He is so full of his own lies that he believes them.
There are 4 very serious complaints from 4 different hunts, and I believe two more law suits coming.
If Terry is such a grandious, genuine old man, PLEASE ask him to remove ALL my trophy photo's from his web-site, that they did not book for in any case. He will not answer my calls, nor respond to my emails. I have tried from other phones and if he hears it is me he shuts the phone down.
He has conned three other Safari outfits here in South Africa. He catches all of us with his old world charm and talk of his millions. Your last thread sounds SO familiar.
To suss your own mind, ask the old cunning gentleman to show the deeds of the millions of acres he had in Africa.....I know he had none, never ever. His company lease 20k acres in Maua, and the hunting quota was a matter of constant debate as to the legality of it, between everyone concerned, as it did not adhere to the hunting laws of Mozambique. Something that did not bother him as he said he will buy his way out of it.
You Sir, should look very hard at your stance on this. Terry got out because everyone over here had enough of him. Totaly. The Mozambiquans and South Africans. And he played us all against each other, masterfuly, until he was caught out.
If the gentleman that is taking him to court gets in contact with me, I will be willing to fly to the States and testify under oath, and I know two people that will come with me, that we told Terry not to sell Lion and Buffalo hunts simply because there are none.....I told him this at a hunting convention, and again in the camp in Mozambique.
I can also tell you a lot of stories of the man and his personal life, his immediate family and such, because I was THERE, in his house. To picture this person as being attacked as a victim, Sir, is not right, and everything but the truth. Like we say over here. Terry is an old Jackal, and will die as one........
I can go on and on and on......but it is a waste of my time. I lost a lot through Terry and Mark. from here on the only time I will spend on this issue is where something concrete is done about them. One thing they realy hit me hard with was contracting our company (on paper) to work roughly 90days for them in Mozambique, and we did not take S.A. bookings for this time because of this. I lost much more than the contracted money......And would have lost more if we did not bail and run when I heard one hunt they booked was for 4 Russians that each wanted to shoot a Buffalo.....monies paid up front...All of it!
I post under my name and is a full time hunting and fishing guide in Southern Africa.

The only good news . . .

There appear to be some seizable assets in Kentucky.

Lawsuit ho.

Thank-you Charl for taking the time and coming forward and posting your first hand experience on this matter. In the end hopefully something like this won't happen to somebody else!

Kentucky Hunting Forum Politics.

The forum located at **NOT**PERMITTED**.com has 2 factions. One is a high fence shoot what you can when you can, the Department of Fish and Wildlife is always wrong group, and the more conservation minded group that promotes hunting ethics and responsibility. I would want to see the NAME of the person who posted that since MOST of the people on the forum are Western Kentucky guys and almost no one from Eastern Kentucky is involved with that forum. Mr. Cundiff would be a target for some simply because he is not in their group.. and the things he says about Criminal Activity I have not seen before anywhere and have not been provided to me.

There is a KY forum online. I posted this link there. Here is a response I was given via private message. I quote:

"Terry Cundiff was from the same county I grew up in. As I recall he may have actually served time for drug dealing out of a truck that was used to deliver live fish.This was yrs. ago. He also ran a small outfitting business out near Jackson Ky. At one time I know he had a website.White Oak something.Heck it might still be in business I dont know. I know there were lots of problems locally with this guy.He would bring in clients from outside the area to Breathitt Co. near Van Cleve and let them hunt. Property he owned but also other people's property that he would claim to have leased from them. Problem was lots of these people didnt know a thing about what he was doing. The clients didn't have a clue either they were trespassing etc. and that the guy was lying. I don't know if he is still in business or not but I found his website.

www.whiteoaklake.com

No way would I deal with this guy in anything whatsoever."

Hope this plays out fairly,whichever way. One thing is for sure though...neither of those dudes or their stall would have attracted MY attention at any show! Dude with the cap has shifty eyes and that just doesn't work for me.

I'd have to agree with you there....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tokiwart00th

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with