Mountain rifles

I love this little K95 but I'm a big fan of classy single shots. I've thought about adding a 2nd barrel to it...7mm or 300 something.

BLR for mountain rifle? That’s an unusual recommendation. I knew a Alaska Native that had a national match M1A for his hunting rifle so
you never know what you will see out in the Bush.

I love this little K95 but I'm a big fan of classy single shots. I've thought about adding a 2nd barrel to it...7mm or 300 something.
I love a single shot also !
wonder if they chamber a K95 in 6.5-300
only -7 inch @ 400 meters & 2000 lbs of punch

.325 is a nice complement to your 6.5 PRC. How about an 8x68 bbl for your k95?

Here is the factory barrel chart from Blaser for the K95...

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 5.38.05 PM.png

325 wsm in BLR. Lighter, fast, 8mm bullets. Also you can have couple of magazines loaded for as need for the game to be shot .
KRISH
I agree as I have one for elk. Also have a MGA in 8 mag. My Rifles Inc has taken a few elk in 300 win. But as someone else said the T3x super lite is a great rifle, have 3 in 300 win.

BLR for mountain rifle? That’s an unusual recommendation. I knew a Alaska Native that had a national match M1A for his hunting rifle so
you never know what you will see out in the Bush.
You can get BLR in breakdown model. It is compact. Light weight. Don't have to sling it till you get to your hunting ground. Try it if you can find one. You will like it.
Krish

I have 2 builds to decide between if/when I draw or buy a sheep tag

1) Savage 110 Ultralite in .280AI topped with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44. Loaded (4+1), sling, and scope covers, I'm at under 7.5lbs. Shooting the 155gr Terminal Ascent it's a 1/2" gun. I'm toying with the idea of buying a Pure Precision Altitude stock for it and shaving the weight down even further. Hoping for sub 7lbs

2) Remington 700 CDL SF in .257wby. 26" Barrel, topped with a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 ill TMOA. I replaced the stock with an HS Precision. Shooting handloaded 100gr TTSX's it screams and out shoots me all day. This rifle tips the scales at 8.5lbs loaded w/ a sling and front rail.

Last edited:
I bought a titanium Remington 700 in 270 several years ago when I was planning a fall sheep hunt. The rifle is under 6 lbs and with scope and loaded it’s just over 7 lbs.

I was just looking at the ballistics of that versus the 7x65R. You would go with the 8mm?

You stated early on you wanted a mountain rifle capable of handling the heavier game that the 6.5 PRC may be a tad light for. If that is the case, I would step up to the 8x68 with 200 grain bullets. If I had been thinking clearly I would have built an 8x68 S as opposed to the .325 WSM I have. I know that one of these days an R8 in 8x68 with a vertical grip stock will show up in the classifieds. At that point I will be sunk.

My backpack gun is a Tikka superlite. Best light gun I’ve ever shot. Unfortunately sold it 6 months ago, but about to buy another. Mine was 30-06 and was my go to hunting rifle for everything. Blind hunted with a can on it and felt zero recoil. Take can off, 12 year old nephew could shoot it no problem.

Proof research elevation in 300 win with swaro Z6 2.5-15x44. Super light rig and shoots 1/4 MOA with 200 grain bullets. Versatile for about any NA game and light enough to get around the mountains comfortably.

You stated early on you wanted a mountain rifle capable of handling the heavier game that the 6.5 PRC may be a tad light for. If that is the case, I would step up to the 8x68 with 200 grain bullets. If I had been thinking clearly I would have built an 8x68 S as opposed to the .325 WSM I have. I know that one of these days an R8 in 8x68 with a vertical grip stock will show up in the classifieds. At that point I will be sunk.
Good points. 200 gr. 8mm bullets at 3k fps is a great formula. When I run the ballistics on a 200 gr TSX, I see a PBR on 12" target as 300 yards (sighted in at 100) but carrying 2k fps to 500 yards.

I was just looking at the ballistics of that versus the 7x65R. You would go with the 8mm?
Heck yeah, 74 gr. R-19 behind a 180 gr TSX, 3100 FPS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristianR

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]