Mountain rifles

I don't know that rifle (rings of course) but that's a great scope. It would be perfect if it was first focal plane.

You should take a look. Has lots of features for a reasonable price. Mine has been very accurate in 6.5prc @ 5.5lbs. The 7prc version is 6.0lbs.

I'm a FFP fan as well but I decided to give this a chance. At only 10x on the top end, if I'm dialing it will be at 10x anyway. That was my thought process at least. S&B klassik would be a good lightweight FFP option. I have one and it's great glass with capped turrets.

Bansner's Ultimate Ovis (any caliber you like.) I have one in 6.5 WSM (7.5 lbs fully outfitted), but you should probably step up to a 7 or 300 using the appropriate bullets for your targets. Because of where goats tend to live, many guides swear by hot 338s to put them down where you can collect them, sans any damage. This is a fully custom rig, lightweight and capable of 1,000 yd field shots. Jim Shockey put his muzzleloader down and brought a hot .338 (Lapua or RUM?) Bansner to Namibia for huge kudu, H. zebra and gemsbok at range.
Yeah sheep & goat is a different beast of a hunt
My buddy went on a ibex hunt in a Stan country and when he went to check the rifle
He was told to sight in @ 400 meters and prepare for 600+
I would definitely pick a high BC gun
His shot was 575
IMG_1886.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rifle inc , ( lex webeneck) pleaston Texas , classic in .280 Remington, weight 7lbs scoped ( I would probably go 7prc if buying new )
shoots 140 nosler AB @ .5 moa
about $6000 , but I inherited the rifle

Lex built me a 300 win mag that shoots a .23 3 shot group. He’s an exceptional if underrated gun maker.

HH

Lex built me a 300 win mag that shoots a .23 3 shot group. He’s an exceptional if underrated gun maker.

HH
What's the weight of that rifle? I know he builds on a number of variations. He's a builder I have considered. I would like to handle some of his guns.

What's the weight of that rifle? I know he builds on a number of variations. He's a builder I have considered. I would like to handle some of his guns.

It’s regular length (24 inch barrel) but on a carbon fiber stock. Will check the weight when I get home and let you know.

HH

I like that new 7PRC and just had Lane Precisionbuild me one last year as a purpose built mountain rifle where I want more weight than my primary 6.5 SAUM. I’d also look at the 280AI, it’s a great round for your purposes.

The Gunwerks are great but I ended up parting with both I’ve owned. Loved the stock configuration, but they were too heavy for my intended purposes because of the honking 34mm tube scopes and didn’t like either reticle. I could have rescoped easily enough but the great thing about their packaged appeal, they were both easily eagerly grabbed up by shooting buddies.

I’m also a NULA fan for their simplicity, accuracy, and essentially unchanged purpose built rifle that has developed a cult following for decades, says something. Also they really do suck up recoil for their weight. I need to thin out the NULA and CLR conversions, having somewhere around 11-14 of them that I rarely if ever shoot. Like 7-8 havent had scopes. i just always end up grabbing my trusty 6.5 SAUM, MackBros Evo ti action, carbon stock, spiral fluted Bartlien 2B barrel, finished weight was 5lb 6oz with rings, but did weigh it down with a NXS compact 2.5-10x42 which is my standard on most light rifles. When weight really matters, I lean towards the little Leopold 2.5-8x32 which I have on a couple uber-lite setups and my daughter‘s sheep rifle.

if you decide to go the Bansner Ultimate Ovis route, let me know. I have a mint one he built off a CLR action in 7mm Weatherby. I bought it mostly to just try out and figured I might rebarrel to a 338WM as I’d wanted a CLR or NULA in 338WM that would hold 3-down in the magazine which NULA won’t. Bansner’ a stock design allows for a 3 rounds in the blind magazine which is huge plus in my book. That said, I’ve had the rifle a few years now and have never shot it and it’s down the list of future projects. I ended up having a 338-06AI built which largely filled that need. Haven’t gotten to the point of wanting to part with the Bansner 7mmW and listing, but if it proved to be what someone was searching for, I’d part with it happily knowing it might see use.

Good Luck in your search. So many cool options today.

I have an early 2000 Remington model 700 SS in 7mm RUM topped with a Leupold 6.5-20.
It is plenty light for a mountain rifle and is very accurate to way out there.
Don’t overthink what you need to do the job.
I also have a Tikka T3X Super Light and that rifle in the right chambering makes a super mountain rifle.

HH
Yeah my lex build will punch .25 all day, just I can’t shoot that good

Kimber Montana 300wsm w/Leupold 3-18 bdc and dials....

Light, accurate, deadly. Has worked on elk, goat, moose, wolves, auodad, +.

Recoil won't be a problem for you.

Here is a 7prc mountain rifle he made
IMG_0943.png

Also, was impressed with a Savage Ultralite in 28 Nosler. Carbon barrel, Very accurate - hated the trigger, so I upgraded that. Really impressive for a thousand dollar rifle. Enough recoil to make you use the brake while sighting in. Not so much to need it while hunting.

PM to Wild Will.

I have an early 2000 Remington model 700 SS in 7mm RUM topped with a Leupold 6.5-20.
It is plenty light for a mountain rifle and is very accurate to way out there.
Don’t overthink what you need to do the job.
I also have a Tikka T3X Super Light and that rifle in the right chambering makes a super mountain rifle.
I hear ya on the overthinking...I can get there a variety of ways but our posts here are interesting dialogue that will help someone. My hunt is 2 years out.

I saw that copper 7 PRC. I wonder about that finish..kind of polarizing. Wonder what it really looks like and the barrel is 25" plus brake...freaking long barrel.

This is one area that I don't yet own a rifle well suited for.

I am looking to add a 6.8 Western in a lightweight rifle for an upcoming goat hunt. Looks like that cartridge is only offered in the Model 70 and X-bolt so I will be grabbing one of those two. Hoping to keep the total weight below 7.5lbs, not sure which scope to go with yet for this lightweight goal.

I absolutely love my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. With a Leupold 4.5x14 scope it weighs
5lbs 15oz.

For "off the shelf" rifles, it's tough to beat a seekins havak element and perhaps an NF nxs 2-10 on top. That's my go to setup.
I just got to shoot one in 7prc and it was stupid accurate with factory eld-x

I absolutely love my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. With a Leupold 4.5x14 scope it weighs
5lbs 15oz.
How does it handle and shoot? Any photos?

Hey that's a great idea on the single shot. I always hunt from the mental concept of only getting 1 shot. That has really helped my success and choice of shots taken.

I just weighed my Blaser K95 .308 Winchester...unscoped it's 6.4 lbs but it's also a full octagon barrel. A round barrel should weigh less. I could get a lighter barrel in whatever caliber and it would be pretty light plus the benefits of being a breakdown single shot for travel. Of course, it's blued steel and wood but that's just a choice in the mountains.

I think a K95 would be the ultimate mountain gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportsmkcom

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]