Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Just slaughtered and butchered the last of the Spring rabbits - 4 months old, they all dressed out between 45 and 55 ozs - both the bucks were 50 oz+.

Giving a couple of them to a buddy who's a professional chef, but the rest are gonna be hasenpfeffer with a side of red cabbage.

I do believe I'd about rather eat fresh, young, tender rabbit than anything.

I’d have to try one cooked right before I’d be convinced to raise them myself.

Any suggestions on recipes?

I’d have to try one cooked right before I’d be convinced to raise them myself.

Any suggestions on recipes?
Recipes for German peppered hare (hasenpfeffer) abound on the interwebs.

It doesn't take a lot of skill to cook young rabbit "right." They're perfectly tender for frying as well. I prefer to filet the tenderloin out, only about an extra 2 or 3 minutes of butcher time per rabbit.

Old rabbits need to go in the Instant Pot, about 20 minutes per pound of meat, or 5 or 6 hours on the stove, simmering. For a simple stew, about 1 c of flour per rabbit, add some S&P to the flour, dredge the rabbit in it, then brown in bacon grease or tallow. When all the rabbit is browned, cover them in beef broth, simmer for about 3 hours or so. Dice up a couple pounds of carrots, toss them in, simmer another 90 minutes. Dice up a couple pounds of potatoes, cut an onion into eighths along the center axis, toss them and taters in the pot for another 90 minutes or so, salt and pepper to taste. Really hard to mess that up.

As "livestock" goes, they're about as low maintenance as you can get. If you're going to put them in hutches, empty the poop trays every 3 or 4 days. The poop doesn't smell, but the urine does. Check their ears on the regular to make sure they don't have ear mites. Breed the does every 9 weeks or so, butcher the kits when they're 4 months old.

The manure doesn't need to be aged before it goes in the garden. Just dump it in the garden, then hoe it in.

Rabbits aren't as efficient at converting feed to meat as chickens, but well more so that sheep, goats, hogs, or cattle. Feed these days is running about 50 cents/lb.

Last edited:
Recipes for German peppered hare (hasenpfeffer) abound on the interwebs.

As "livestock" goes, they're about as low maintenance as you can get. If you're going to put them in hutches, empty the poop trays every 3 or 4 days. The poop doesn't smell, but the urine does. Check their ears on the regular to make sure they don't have ear mites. Breed the does every 9 weeks or so, butcher the kits when they're 4 months old.

The manure doesn't need to be aged before it goes in the garden. Just dump it in the garden, then hoe it in.
There was a write up about raising them in one issue of the back woodsman magazine that claimed tame rabbits especially the giant lop breeds were one of the most cost effective sources of protein for modern homesteading. I’ll have to see if I can find the issue.

There was a write up about raising them in one issue of the back woodsman magazine that claimed tame rabbits especially the giant lop breeds were one of the most cost effective sources of protein for modern homesteading. I’ll have to see if I can find the issue.
The most efficient meat rabbits are Californians and New Zealands. They all make pretty good meat breeds, but those 2 breeds hit the sweet spot on cost of feed to get them to butchering size. I know a dude who raises Flemish giants, but they're almost a year old before they're ready to be butchered. Lops are good meat also, but they're smaller than California and New Zealand.

Thank you! There are indeed plenty of recipes to be found through a search engine, but I like first hand recommendations first, and consulting Escoffier second.

I do like me some rabbit…

1723688977586.gif

Thank you! There are indeed plenty of recipes to be found through a search engine, but I like first hand recommendations first, and consulting Escoffier second.
I’ve made lots of rapures it’s a staple on the east coast I just linked that instead of typing out the recipe.

Honestly, there's very little difference in any of them. Red wine, brandy, juniper berries, vinegar of some sort, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme. If the recipe calls for that stuff, it'll be good. Proportions will differ a bit from recipe to recipe, but not enough to make a diff except for the most discerning of palates. I like to think I'm pretty discerning in those regards, but having used several different recipes over the years, I just can't taste enough difference to get worked up about it. The only place I follow recipes down to the last jot and tittle anymore are for pastries that need something to make them rise, whether that's baking powder or yeast.

I sample often as the food cooks, and add what I think needs adding. It helps I have a garden with lots of fresh herbs in it, but it really just doesn't matter a whole lot.

You can try this one: https://honest-food.net/hasenpfeffer-recipe-dumplings/

Steve Rinella made a version on one of his episodes of meat eater. He made hasenpfeffer with ginger snap cookies in it I’ve been wanting to attempt.

I mostly use tame rabbits for a few of the local dishes here like the one I linked and a couple other Acadian dishes traditionally made with rabbit. But in my experience with them I wouldn’t be afraid to substitute chicken for tame rabbit in any dumpling/pot pie style recipe.

To clarify I don’t raise my own though I purchase mine from a fellow hunting camp members son. He started raising them in 4-h and turned it into a business for himself.

Honestly, there's very little difference in any of them. Red wine, brandy, juniper berries, vinegar of some sort, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme. If the recipe calls for that stuff, it'll be good. Proportions will differ a bit from recipe to recipe, but not enough to make a diff except for the most discerning of palates. I like to think I'm pretty discerning in those regards, but having used several different recipes over the years, I just can't taste enough difference to get worked up about it. The only place I follow recipes down to the last jot and tittle anymore are for pastries that need something to make them rise, whether that's baking powder or yeast.

I sample often as the food cooks, and add what I think needs adding. It helps I have a garden with lots of fresh herbs in it, but it really just doesn't matter a whole lot.

You can try this one: https://honest-food.net/hasenpfeffer-recipe-dumplings/
dad made really good rabbit stew when he was still well enough to go into the camp with us. He used stout and chicken stock for his broth. I’ve tried a dozen times but can’t make it taste the same as his did.

We used to keep a buck and four or five does when I was growing up. Mostly New Zealand. Family of eight kids and we ate A Lot of rabbit. Mostly just breaded with egg, flour and crushed cereal flakes then baked in the oven.
I still like them in a crock pot with wild rice and veggies. Rabbit is wonderful meat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokhibaoanhhn4

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?