MIT Study Reveals Why Africa Is Still Poor

A big factor would have to be government corruption?
What do these corrupt officials do with the mone and where do they keep it? We are talk Tens of billions of $. What do they do with all that money?

That is not true. All races had equal rights and were citizens. Read Adelino Serras Pires’ great book “winds of havoc” on the fall of Moçambique
I get it.
However having equal rights does not mean being equal...
If the distribution of wealth and power are in the hands of a small minority as in the case of colonial Africa.

Id say that thinking a culture can make the shift from hunter gatherer tribalism to a full functioning western style democracy in 100 years (only 20 of which they have had power) and there not to be hiccups along the way seems ambitious. There will always be a learning curve.

With that being said, it’s not a problem that throwing money at can solve. Solutions have to be organic and come from the people. The same as Native American issues.

They have been in power now for over 30 years and every term seems a little worse

Reactions: CJW
Didn't know whether to put this here or politics thread....

A great read.Response letters to the article indicate that there is no fore sight or planning to be found in the bush. Last August when in Limpopo, RSA, when not hunting , my PH and I spent a great deal of time talking about the future, customs and problems of RSA. There are many videos online of local produced shows about their problems, so you can get a feel for the issues. I don't expect most of Africa to move forward in most of our lifetimes. There is much the continent has to offer its people. What a shame it is about greed and exploitation. The Chinese ( locally called termites) have it all figured out.

Once again, 30 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things. That’s one generation
Im trying to understand your point? Are defending the mismanagement of resources, corruption and economic policies due to their inexperience or what are you trying to say?

Nope, I’m not defending anyone’s action. But to think that any society is capable of a monumental cultural shift in a generation or less is a bit of a stretch.

I fully understand your frustration with what has happened to your beautiful country.

Dont know much about Africa ,but I do know a little about USA, TAKE TEXAS for example 1830s 40s, ruled by Indians Comanche, Kiowa, Apache and other tribes and partially Mexicans. EUROPEAN settlers started tricking in,
remember the Alamo 1836. by the 1880s a somewhat educated, somewhat religious, somewhat industrious, somewhat forward,
looking, somewhat hungry and somewhat hopeful, people made a great independent territory. It wasn't very pretty sometimes bloody on both sides thanks to the small band of Texas rangers. and the Comanches, but the evidence speaks loudly. there's a lesson here somewhere you all flesh it out.

In todays age they have access to all the info they want, and need, in the 1800’s it wasnt so. So for me there is no excuse 30 years of filling there own pockets is inexcusable and untill that “culture” changes, things wont improve
Theseare highly educated people but use their”culture” as an excuse to act like ………….

In todays age they have access to all the info they want, and need, in the 1800’s it wasnt so. So for me there is no excuse 30 years of filling there own pockets is inexcusable and untill that “culture” changes, things wont improve
Theseare highly educated people but use their”culture” as an excuse to act like ………….
If the “culture” has been that way for hundreds of years. If that “culture” spreads to other continents and countries with little to no contact to the original “culture” and things stay the same are very similar.
what is the excuse then?

I think this post really is more about venting than anything else. I wish that a solution could be offered. Can’t say I’m even surprised by some of the “white guilt” displayed by other posters, it’s incessant these days. I remember talking to several African PH’s back in 1997…their greatest fears back then have been realized today. They must stay and keep up the fight. Live their lives as best as they can and take care of their families. Those whose ancestors have been in Africa for over 200 years have a right to be there.

In any society facing problems, one must first identify and acknowledge the problem, then go forth with solutions. Emotion and feelings should not factor in, it should be based on facts, science and data, none of which is even occurring here in the U.S. either. At least we had the ability to leave the insanity of California and move to states more aligned with our beliefs and way of life. But, there may come a time when it’s at our doorstep, when you can move no more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alissa34R

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia