Mid-range rifle scope suggestions

I have a slightly different opinion on the Vortex optics. I believe they have their place and now have a large enough following that has incrementally driven up prices beyond what they should be. I believe superior optics can be had from companies like Leupold for similar prices to Vortex, with the exception of Vortex’s lowest lines. I believe quality control is truly lacking with Vortex, whether it be a problem out of the box or a problem that develops in the field, they are much more common than with other quality companies. They have an unbeatable warranty, but so does Leupold. I own multiple Vortex and multiple Leupold. Dollar for dollar the Leupolds perform better and I have more confidence in their reliability.
Vortex is the “flavor of the month” and I’m not interested. I’ve been a Leupold fan since I was a kid drooling over the pages of catalogs of Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Gander Mountain. Always trying to see what I could afford to buy back then. Now I have several VX5&6’s and my only deviation has been to get a few Swarovski Z8’s.
I know what quality is and I’m not easily duped. The young hunting public today not so much.
Regards,
Philip

Vortex is the “flavor of the month” and I’m not interested. I’ve been a Leupold fan since I was a kid drooling over the pages of catalogs of Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Gander Mountain. Always trying to see what I could afford to buy back then. Now I have several VX5&6’s and my only deviation has been to get a few Swarovski Z8’s.
I know what quality is and I’m not easily duped. The young hunting public today not so much.
Regards,
Philip
I'll second this.

Leupold is my starting point for scopes and it's a great choice in their VX-5 and VX-6 lineup. If you have the money to invest in Swaro, Leica, S&B or Zeiss...I highly recommend you take a look at them. I currently have 3 Swaro Z8i scopes and they are amazing when compared to anything else.

If you are looking for a bargain and still get some of the best glass on the planet, Swaro Z6 (new or used) can be had at more reasonable prices.

Nightforce makes an excellent scope.
+1. And in the $1k price range the Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV with Forceplex reticle should be considered as a midrange hunting scope.

I'll give the Z3 Swarovski a small edge in glass clarity but the NF SHV wins big with repeatable (covered) turrets and a very usable illuminated reticle. (I used the illumination a couple of times in SA last year, btw.) The turrets on my Z3 Swaro cannot be relied on, period.

V.

I know this will make some ripples but I've recently done some research on mid-range scopes (when did 400yds become mid-range....) the Leupold Freedom series that replaced VX-1 and VX-2 is a darn good piece of glass regardless of cost. I know it doesn't have the sex appeal of a $$$ Euro scope and performance, yet it's 90% or more there. And the no questions asked lifetime warranty is no B.S. Do your own research on it, I think you'll be surprised on what you get for your money.

Tommy
Mid range is defined as 200-600 yards by shooting sports bodies. Not necessarily hunting scenarios.

Regards,
Philip
Vortex is a little more than "flavor of the month". I have, Vortex ,Leupold, Leica, Meopita, Trijicon, Athlone, Ziess, Schmidt Bender, Nightforce. Have had other along the way too.

In hard use case, shoot competitions in the field not on a bench. I have seen more Leupold's fail than any other by 10 fold. Leupold had to step you their game along with other top manufacturers due to Vortex kicking their butt in reliability and price point. Yes I am talking about the higher end gen IIs. I was running all PM ll's, I started getting .02 mil shifts on my zero. Tried one Vortex Razor Gen l, I was happy with it but not the mag power I wanted. When the Gen lls came out, after shooting with it. I sold all my PM lls and went all GEN lls. Never had an issue with a zero after that. Their GEN lll has even better glass.

Now I did have my Meopita lose parallax, this was 1 week before my hunt. Call them up explained the situation. They overnight me a new scope and a return label for the old one. By far the best customer service anyone could ask for. My VX6 will also be going back. The red dot will not stay on or only comes on when it wants to. Definitely cuts off under recoil. I also had a Vortex 8X32x56 cheap scope on a 22. It died and they replaced it, I would not buy anything in the cheap line for sure.

Sometimes it takes new companies to make the industry push forward. Weather you like Vortex or not, they are pushing the industry to become better. We the shooters are benefiting from it.

Mid range is defined as 200-600 yards by shooting sports bodies. Not necessarily hunting scenarios.
I should have been clearer. My apologies. My usage of "mid range" was for the price of the optic. Not for the distance I count on pulling a trigger... ;)

Yeah, got it. I was referring to hunting distances considering this is a hunting site, but thanks for the clarification. It actually makes little difference since V. meant mid priced scopes....

Vortex is a little more than "flavor of the month". I have, Vortex ,Leupold, Leica, Meopita, Trijicon, Athlone, Ziess, Schmidt Bender, Nightforce. Have had other along the way too.

In hard use case, shoot competitions in the field not on a bench. I have seen more Leupold's fail than any other by 10 fold. Leupold had to step you their game along with other top manufacturers due to Vortex kicking their butt in reliability and price point. Yes I am talking about the higher end gen IIs. I was running all PM ll's, I started getting .02 mil shifts on my zero. Tried one Vortex Razor Gen l, I was happy with it but not the mag power I wanted. When the Gen lls came out, after shooting with it. I sold all my PM lls and went all GEN lls. Never had an issue with a zero after that. Their GEN lll has even better glass.

Now I did have my Meopita lose parallax, this was 1 week before my hunt. Call them up explained the situation. They overnight me a new scope and a return label for the old one. By far the best customer service anyone could ask for. My VX6 will also be going back. The red dot will not stay on or only comes on when it wants to. Definitely cuts off under recoil. I also had a Vortex 8X32x56 cheap scope on a 22. It died and they replaced it, I would not buy anything in the cheap line for sure.

Sometimes it takes new companies to make the industry push forward. Weather you like Vortex or not, they are pushing the industry to become better. We the shooters are benefiting from it.
Competition is good. I agree any unreliability in optics is maddening.
ita good to know you’ve put these scopes through hard use so points well taken.
after buying two Z8’s I want more of them. They spoil you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilhelmdup

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?