Mid-range rifle scope suggestions

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.49.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.49.35 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.49.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.49.40 PM.png
    457.3 KB · Views: 80
I do like the suggestion of this 2x ( on lowest magnification) optic. Perhaps more appropriate for a svelte stalking rifle.
Leupold 2.5-8x36 or a 3-9 compact (if you can find one) would also be in the same ballpark size and weight wise. The only warning is that the eye box on the compact is slightly less forgiving as to head position, but still totally doable. A fair few sheep hunters collect them for mountain rifles yet to be built.

You can never go wrong with a Leupold 2x7. They are tough with good optics and generous eye relief which is important on a #1. Reasonably priced and the company absolutely stands behind their products. I have that scope on 8 of my rifles and love it. Looks proper on a classic rifle too.

Go Meopta.
I agree, I put a Meopta R2,1,7-10x42 on my 7x57 last year. I am well impressed. I took a number of deer at first or last light with relative ease.
I am now considering a Optika 6,1-6x24 for my 375.
I wouldn't really bother with a Zeiss Terra, an entry level scope and IMHO not worthy of a Zeiss label.

Thanks Bob,

would that be something like these models?
@VertigoBE
That's the reticle I have in my ziess and it was great in Namibia.
The optica 5 is the newer version of the meopro mine has the z-plex on the Hornet
Screenshot_20220324-132119_Chrome.jpg

This is the 3.5 to 10x44 meopta bdc reticle. As you can see you can input the data into the meopta ballistic calculator and it gives you your aiming mark at various distances. It corolates well with my own calculations from load from a disc. Once you memorise it you should be fine. The calculations in the attachment are for my 25 sighted in 2 inches high at 100 with the 115gn nosler cast.
Bob

Burris are EXCELLENT scopes. Co. was started by Leupold engineers that left. My family have taken game out to 720 yards featuring their stuff, despite those who spend 10x that amount on other glass. For a <500 yd 270, check out the fullfield II 4-14x x 42 or the E1 in same power. You can get a 3-9 or 3-12 for less if you won't be shooting over 400 yds. (One hole or all shots touching using these scopes on guns from 22-250 to 300 Win Mag (and everything in-between featuring the 06 case like your 270!) Get the BDC reticle (it's already set up for the 270-no guesswork at distance. Just sight in at the appropriate height with a particular load and you're shooting.)

@VertigoBE how long do you plan to own the rifle? Will it be your primary rifle, or just something for fun at the range and occasional hunting? What range will your common shot distance be? Will it be used in africa mostly during the day, or will it be used for dawn/dusk hunting?
I suspect opinions will change with answers to these questions.
If it is a dawn/dusk rifle, definitely consider increasing the budget or maybe something in the swaro Z3 range.
For good daylight, +1 for Leupold.

I'm gonna echo much of what has been said before...

First prize = Swaro Z3 (buy once, cry once - it's not THAT far outside your budget). If you regret buying the scope for one second, sell it to me;-)

Of the brands you listed, Meopta would be my pick based on optics. Not so easy to find these days and most of the models floating around seem to be more target/tactical with big objectives and large turrets.

Maybe a slightly left-field option would be to look out for a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. These are superior to the Zeiss Terra in terms of clarity, and being discontinued you might find old stock at a great price. I have read suggestions that the Conquest range was possibly made by Meopta under licence, which would explain the excellent clarity.
I have both the Terra and Conquest models - Terra now sits on the shelf having been replaced by Swaro Z3 and the Conquests are still in use - if that says anything.

Leopold in the mid price category. All their scopes and binos give better clarity and brightness than any of the slightly more expensive competitors. Top end Swarovsky/Zeiss etc are better but they also cost a bit more ! I reckon the expensive brands trade on their name with their cheaper models

Hi AH,

been looking a lot online, and on the AH forum for recommendations on mid-range scopes. (it shouldn't always be 2-3KEUR scopes)

I have my (new to me) Ruger No1 270Win to be scoped and I do not want to put an optic on it that will be 4 times the cost of the rifle. I'm currently considering straight tube scopes as well as 42mm objective's to have a little extra light gathering ability. I'd like to come in under 500EUR, but having looked at different brands, this seems to be complicated to find anything good...

Looking at Zeiss Terra, GPO, Leupold VX-3, Meopta, Noblex,

Thanks!

V.
My pick for a mid priced scope (depends on what you call mid priced however) would be he Leupold VX5. I just bought one for my wife’s new rifle and for the under $1000 category I do not think I could have done better.
Philip

V.

I know this will make some ripples but I've recently done some research on mid-range scopes (when did 400yds become mid-range....) the Leupold Freedom series that replaced VX-1 and VX-2 is a darn good piece of glass regardless of cost. I know it doesn't have the sex appeal of a $$$ Euro scope and performance, yet it's 90% or more there. And the no questions asked lifetime warranty is no B.S. Do your own research on it, I think you'll be surprised on what you get for your money.

Tommy
I agree. I have a VX Freedom on an AR platform for pigs. Not much difference between that and my VX3I in all practicality.

Sightron makes some reasonably priced hunting scopes. I like FFPs on my hunting rifles and recently purchased two S-Tac 4-20s and a 3-16, all with MOA illuminated reticles and zero stop. The price was right too. Camera Land in NY was the vendor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.39.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.39.53 AM.png
    543.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.39.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.39.57 AM.png
    399.7 KB · Views: 66
Look for a Swarovski Z3. Great optics for the price.
I do not believe these are still sold in Europe, at least the Z3's and the Z4i's (I have one) do not seem to be available anymore on the EU sites... I'll keep looking though and if any of our EU members knows of a place online that still sells them, let me know!

@VertigoBE
That's the reticle I have in my ziess and it was great in Namibia.
The optica 5 is the newer version of the meopro mine has the z-plex on the Hornet
View attachment 458776
This is the 3.5 to 10x44 meopta bdc reticle. As you can see you can input the data into the meopta ballistic calculator and it gives you your aiming mark at various distances. It corolates well with my own calculations from load from a disc. Once you memorise it you should be fine. The calculations in the attachment are for my 25 sighted in 2 inches high at 100 with the 115gn nosler cast.
Bob
Thanks Bob,

I do think I'd prefer a more uncluttered reticle. Something like a German nb 4? A heavy duplex. An illuminated dot in the middle would be a great bonus.

This one, with their 4C reticle seems about right:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.32.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.32.09 AM.png
    972.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.32.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.32.14 AM.png
    987.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.32.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.32.17 AM.png
    641.9 KB · Views: 63
@VertigoBE

Pictures as promised (I have the Illuminated #4 reticle since it’s on a 416). It’s installed with Warne Bases and QR Rings (Med Height for bolt clearance).

I would go with a 2x as the lowest on your 270.
View attachment 458788View attachment 458789View attachment 458790
That's indeed a chunky scope. And it looks like you did not have a lot of flexibility for the eye relief, as the rings are on both ends of the tube.

I heard that a Ruger No1 is also quite finnicky in scope mounting, as in not easy to get good eye relief.

@VertigoBE how long do you plan to own the rifle? Will it be your primary rifle, or just something for fun at the range and occasional hunting? What range will your common shot distance be? Will it be used in africa mostly during the day, or will it be used for dawn/dusk hunting?
I suspect opinions will change with answers to these questions.
If it is a dawn/dusk rifle, definitely consider increasing the budget or maybe something in the swaro Z3 range.
For good daylight, +1 for Leupold.
I do not really buy a rifle, if I ever would have the intention to resell it :) unless I find something that would vastly outperform it. But in this case, I bought the Ruger No1 because I always wanted a falling block single shot stalking rifle, and at the 660USD I paid for the 270Win, I do not think there would be a better deal soon. Once set up, I intend to use it lightly (as I have a few other rifles too, that can be used in this purpose), but especially as my new born daughter's first rifle :D :D (she is only 14 days for now) :E Rofl:

Shot distances over here are typically less than 150m, with most shots from 20 to 100 meters. No long range sniping here. However, it is very often dawn/dusk hunting. (especially for wild boar).

Thanks Bob,

I do think I'd prefer a more uncluttered reticle. Something like a German nb 4? A heavy duplex. An illuminated dot in the middle would be a great bonus.

This one, with their 4C reticle seems about right:
@VertigoBE
The meopta bdc reticle looks cluttered to start with but now I find it about the same as a standard duplex with lot of advantages.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia