Merkel 470 NE Double Rifle For Sale 13% Discount

not sure yet but looking at several different ones. remember i am the Toby of DR lol!!!! i can’t seem to stay long with one even though they are awesome and fun. i just have to have another. happy thanksgiving my friend and hope your dad is well!
Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Get us a Heym 89b

not sure yet but looking at several different ones. remember i am the Toby of DR lol!!!! i can’t seem to stay long with one even though they are awesome and fun. i just have to have another. happy thanksgiving my friend and hope your dad is well!
Gun sold and funds received from an AH member so one of our own delivered today

I hope he gets an R8 and a Kreighoff double
i have a surprise!!! i need to shoot it first and have JJ give it his inspection before i say anything. you two guys know how i work. I just cannot do the Blaser thing…just not for me. love the Hyme but not enough engraving for me…just too plain. both awesome rifles and systems i have great respect for…wait and see!!!!

I like that load with only 86grs of powder - should reduce recoil!

The load seems like a full power load to me.

You must remember that the original velocity per ICI/Kynoch was 2150fps. The original load was from a 28" proof barrel. On top of that, ICI/Kynoch lied on all their loads by about 30fps.

When you start cutting back barrel length, you lose 15-30fps per inch of barrel. Hence 23-5/8" barrels like this one, or the modern typical 24" barrels will regulate at speeds from 2050-2075 fps IF they are built to honor the same basic regulation of ICI/Kynoch load data.

So how come some guns regulate at 2150fps today? Answer: Because some of the ammo companies are run by idiots that know nothing about double rifles. They used faster burning powders that achieve maximum velocity in 24" or less barrels. All sounds well and good, except they are still gaining velocity in 26" and 28" guns pushing them to near 2200fps. So if an uninformed buyer orders a custom bespoke double rifle and asks it to be regulated to a case of built-wrong factory ammo, you end up with an absurd amount of recoil and you cannot get the gun to regulate with the correct loads.

Every storied book on Africa that talks about their Nitro Express doubles killing dangerous game at 2150fps with great results was just quoting the ICI/Kynoch advertising, they were slaying game with ammo leaving the muzzle at 2050fps and hitting at 1900fps or more.

This is why Pondoro Taylor summarized his findings simply: any bullet of 40 caliber or greater hitting an animal at 1900fps or greater will deliver results.

The recoil experienced in some of this modern factory ammo of today is far greater than the recoil of the original loads. I pity the vintage guns that are being subjected to forces they were not designed for when new.

The load seems like a full power load to me.

You must remember that the original velocity per ICI/Kynoch was 2150fps. The original load was from a 28" proof barrel. On top of that, ICI/Kynoch lied on all their loads by about 30fps.

When you start cutting back barrel length, you lose 15-30fps per inch of barrel. Hence 23-5/8" barrels like this one, or the modern typical 24" barrels will regulate at speeds from 2050-2075 fps IF they are built to honor the same basic regulation of ICI/Kynoch load data.

So how come some guns regulate at 2150fps today? Answer: Because some of the ammo companies are run by idiots that know nothing about double rifles. They used faster burning powders that achieve maximum velocity in 24" or less barrels. All sounds well and good, except they are still gaining velocity in 26" and 28" guns pushing them to near 2200fps. So if an uninformed buyer orders a custom bespoke double rifle and asks it to be regulated to a case of built-wrong factory ammo, you end up with an absurd amount of recoil and you cannot get the gun to regulate with the correct loads.

Every storied book on Africa that talks about their Nitro Express doubles killing dangerous game at 2150fps with great results was just quoting the ICI/Kynoch advertising, they were slaying game with ammo leaving the muzzle at 2050fps and hitting at 1900fps or more.

This is why Pondoro Taylor summarized his findings simply: any bullet of 40 caliber or greater hitting an animal at 1900fps or greater will deliver results.

The recoil experienced in some of this modern factory ammo of today is far greater than the recoil of the original loads. I pity the vintage guns that are being subjected to forces they were not designed for when new.
@rookhawk my quickload was programmed for the 24 not 28 inch barrel with the type 500 grain i use. using RL 15.5 to get to 2052 FPS it takes 86 grains. When i entered in IMR3031 it took 79 grains to get to 2050 FPS. Using H4831SC it took 112 grains. i chose the RL15.5. It regulates within 1.5 inches confirmed by JJ Perodeau and felt recoil at least for me was more like a 450-400 but that is just my opinion

Wait until you see the nice gentlemen i sold my Merkel tops target at 50 yards! he puts both a soft and a solid through the same hole at 50 yards!!! i wish i could shoot as good as him!!! glad he is super happy with the rifle!!! he is going back to Africa with it and i am looking forward to his great pictures!!! well done sir!!!!

9440A6B1-9207-4FB6-83C9-B033DE76BC9E.jpeg

A soft and a solid in one hole at 50 yards. With trijicon optic. Will adjust point of impact to right tomorrow.

Recoil with these Handloads feels significantly softer than the factory ammo.

@rookhawk my quickload was programmed for the 24 not 28 inch barrel with the type 500 grain i use. using RL 15.5 to get to 2052 FPS it takes 86 grains. When i entered in IMR3031 it took 79 grains to get to 2050 FPS. Using H4831SC it took 112 grains. i chose the RL15.5. It regulates within 1.5 inches confirmed by JJ Perodeau and felt recoil at least for me was more like a 450-400 but that is just my opinion
My I ask what bullet you had the most success with using the RL 15.5? I am in a trade negotiation with Britt for the rifle (he is the gentleman who bought the rifle from you) and I would like to reload for it as well. Thanks so much!

I know the answer. 500 grain barnes TSX expanding bullets and barnes 500 grain solids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
only1mb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.