Mammals of the Pleistocene Era, which would you like to hunt and what cartridge would you use?

I'll play,

a colombian mammoth or mastodon would be at the top of my list.
A giant Irish Elk would need to be part of the top three,

View attachment 551251

and I would not be able to resist a member of the Entelodontidae, commonly known as the hell pigs. Basically 2000 pound warthogs.

View attachment 551252
Hell pig is a great suggestion.

Where did you get the other graphic with all the species? It's awesome.

Saber tooth tiger and cave
/short faces bear for me. Probably go with the 404 Jeffery and 400 grain AFrames.

Um... how big is your trophy room again?
I'm quite sure I'd go hunt these in their non-exportable versions :D

On the other hand, I think skull mount for the elk, just the tusks of the mammoth and a skull mount of the hell pig, would actually still fit somewhere in the house.

Hell pig is a great suggestion.

Where did you get the other graphic with all the species? It's awesome.
just a google search.

I'm quite sure I'd go hunt these in their non-exportable versions :D

On the other hand, I think skull mount for the elk, just the tusks of the mammoth and a skull mount of the hell pig, would actually still fit somewhere in the house.

I seem to remember a wall photo with a Euro deer of some sort? I think you are being optimistic about them fitting.

Holy heck! Didn't even consider the shipping costs! Well, if I won't hunt lion because I can't bring it back, I'd be screwed on species like these.

Last edited:
I seem to remember a wall photo with a Euro deer of some sort? I think you are being optimistic about them fitting.

Holy heck! Didn't even consider the shipping costs! Well, if I won't hunt lion because I can't bring it back, I'd be screwed on species like this.
Fortunately a lot of these critters inhabited North America.

Terror Bird, from the movie "10.000 BC":
1692029752785.png

1692029731146.png

1692029706267.png

And what size of that fancy tungsten shot would you use for those....?...:unsure:
I was thinking something along the line as appropriate as for Ostrich?

For all you interested in the topic, I highly recommend picking up a copy of American Serengeti by Dan Flores

A really well assembled and detailed account of the entire Pleistocene ecosystem across the great plains. Having grown up in that region, the idea of wheat fields and oil pumps (and now wind turbines) being replaced by short grass, short face bears, ground sloths, and unending herds of pronghorn, elk, sheep, etc. is a fantastic mental image.

For all you interested in the topic, I highly recommend picking up a copy of American Serengeti by Dan Flores

A really well assembled and detailed account of the entire Pleistocene ecosystem across the great plains. Having grown up in that region, the idea of wheat fields and oil pumps (and now wind turbines) being replaced by short grass, short face bears, ground sloths, and unending herds of pronghorn, elk, sheep, etc. is a fantastic mental image.
His new book, Wild New World is good too, I'm in the middle of that right now.

64421bd17fb0a.hires.jpg

Always dreamed to hunt Elasmotherium Sibiricum! ...I would try with my 416, hope it would work, as it's the max round I can shot well!
Now, Elasmotherium is truly a magnificent beast, has everything and much more...a misteryous, unique, tank size Monster, 5 meters of absolute brutality

Thanks, I'll definately be checking this out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HolleyShep

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg