Mammals of the Pleistocene Era, which would you like to hunt and what cartridge would you use?

In terms of cartridges I'm guessing since the 375H&H at around 4,000ft-lbs if energy is the minimum standard for today's dangerous game, perhaps 5,000 ft-lbs would be a good starting point for the largest of these animals? Mammoth, Mastodon, Bison, Woolly Rhino etc?

Thoughts?

As a geologist, and in some ways a paleontologist, I approve this thread.
Likewise (geological engineer and glacial geologist; I haven't worked in it but paleontology is a side interest).

In addition to Irish elk and the ancient bisons, I'd love to hunt a "bear otter". They were even in Africa.

And some kind of big, extinct bird like an elephant bird.

20230813_214700.jpg
GettyImages-73685810-146954b586024ff789d961931541bffb.jpg

In terms of cartridges I'm guessing since the 375H&H at around 4,000ft-lbs if energy is the minimum standard for today's dangerous game, perhaps 5,000 ft-lbs would be a good starting point for the largest of these animals? Mammoth, Mastodon, Bison, Woolly Rhino etc?

Thoughts?
Probably start at 500 NE.

Tuskless Wooly Mammoth in he Zambezi valley.

Sabretooth tiger, wooly mamooth, irish elk. 375 hh, caliber of choice.
I hope for avaliabilty of 375 in local gun shops in pleistocene. Juat in case!

I'll play,

a colombian mammoth or mastodon would be at the top of my list.
A giant Irish Elk would need to be part of the top three,

uwx7w0fdu8c41.jpg

and I would not be able to resist a member of the Entelodontidae, commonly known as the hell pigs. Basically 2000 pound warthogs.

hell-pig-wild-boar-comparison-800x419.jpg

Hands down- Saber toothed cat.

I'd prefer to use a Kreighoff boxlock ejector in .500/416 Nitro Express with 26" barrels, uncovered ivory bead foresight, wide V backsights & non-automatic safety. Regulated for 400Gr Nosler Partition cartridges.

I Studied sed/strat in college, ended up as a hydrographer with the Navy, but I used paleontology to map certain formations for the USGS. I am one of the dinosaur kids that never grew out of it!
Likewise (geological engineer and glacial geologist; I haven't worked in it but paleontology is a side interest).

In addition to Irish elk and the ancient bisons, I'd love to hunt a "bear otter". They were even in Africa.

And some kind of big, extinct bird like an elephant bird.

View attachment 551208View attachment 551209

I saw an Irish elk skeleton in Killarney a few years back, definitely on the list. However, woolly rhinos and smilodon make my list. Probably would load up with a 505 Gibbs, and get to getting.

I'll play,

a colombian mammoth or mastodon would be at the top of my list.
A giant Irish Elk would need to be part of the top three,

View attachment 551251

and I would not be able to resist a member of the Entelodontidae, commonly known as the hell pigs. Basically 2000 pound warthogs.

View attachment 551252

Um... how big is your trophy room again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaitlinGib

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with