Magnum Primers

The only way to stop hoarders is not pay the ridiculous prices. I personally will purchase factory loads before I submit to Gunbroker, just my opinion!
when you shoot a double rifle with regulation issues not really an option.

When traveling back from western PA this week, I stopped in Bottom Dollar Gun and Archery Pro Shop near Washington Courthouse, Ohio (short drive off of I-71, south of Columbus). Powder supply was alot of pistol powders, noted was H1000 and H4350 ($50 per pound, limit 2 of a particular powder).
Also, there were primers, a single brick of Remington 9 1/2 M magnum primers. Really hoped for Federal, but can't be choosy now. $120 for the brick. Hopefully availability is increasing, this shop has not had primers for sale for a couple years now.
209 primers not to be seen anywhere!

When traveling back from western PA this week, I stopped in Bottom Dollar Gun and Archery Pro Shop near Washington Courthouse, Ohio (short drive off of I-71, south of Columbus). Powder supply was alot of pistol powders, noted was H1000 and H4350 ($50 per pound, limit 2 of a particular powder).
Also, there were primers, a single brick of Remington 9 1/2 M magnum primers. Really hoped for Federal, but can't be choosy now. $120 for the brick. Hopefully availability is increasing, this shop has not had primers for sale for a couple years now.
209 primers not to be seen anywhere!
I have been told you or the animal will not know the difference between a Federal 215, Remington 9 1/2, CCI 250/34 Magnum primers...

I have been told you or the animal will not know the difference between a Federal 215, Remington 9 1/2, CCI 250/34 Magnum primers...
I wanted Federal for consistency, as I have been acquiring them here and there by 100-200 count. Seems like most shops prefer to sell them this way, at least around me.

I wanted Federal for consistency, as I have been acquiring them here and there by 100-200 count. Seems like most shops prefer to sell them this way, at least around me.
The least expensive I have seen for a brick of Federal 215 was $159 few months back. With Hazmat fees etc it is not cheap anymore but still cheaper than GB

Right now RM 9 1/2 is selling for $129 plus shipping...

Several years ago after one of these great shortages I decided that I would lay in enough components to hold me for a while. So far that is working as planned for me but I know that there are plenty of folks who got caught in this one. I particularly feel for newer hunters and shooters who can't get what they need and hope that they don't just give up. If this one ever simmers down lay in a supply of what you need!
Therein is about ninety percent of the problem. Lay in what you need for the year, not a lifetime. Maybe just a bit of what you leave behind on the shelves will escape the other lifetime supply hoarders and be there for the newbies starting out in the sport of shooting. Up here just about every vendor has for the last three years been limiting what each individual can buy. Especially ammo. And it's fairly easy to do because in this province ammo purchases are recorded using the buyer's Federal firearms license. Does it stop hoarding? No. But it takes a bite out of it for sure.

In 2021 I was having a helluva time finding steel shot shells. I found a couple boxes to hunt geese but pretty much abstained that year. In Montana I hunt pheasants primarily on federal refuges (about the only publicly accessible land that wasn't grazed to dirt during the drought) which require non-toxic shot. I had a box and a half left from the previous year and then the hunt was on for more. I called every outlet from Dillon to Glasgow to Billings and Miles City. Nothing. A store with a range in Anaconda told me, "Too bad you didn't call yesterday. I got in seven flats and some guy from Spokane, WA drove down and took them all." I'm sure the other businesses in the area who count on nonresident waterfowl hunters appreciated him exporting those resources.

To each their own but I will put my guns up for sale before I join the hoarding parade.

Personally 115.00 is reasonable in this climate I believe. I have never been to Hare Trigger and now never will. I am about to make a run to Precision Reloading to put my name in the hat, been trying to hold out for Hungry Dog trailer at Cabelas. I will also drop By SoDak and see what they have.
I have been on Precision Reloading's back order list for over 2 years now for all different Federal and CCI primers and have not been able to get one box, they claim they have not had ANY primers come in in over 2 years. (yea right) alsoHungry Dog is out of business closed up last winter. well got to go leaving for So Africa in 7 hours for 12 days good luck

Therein is about ninety percent of the problem. Lay in what you need for the year, not a lifetime. Maybe just a bit of what you leave behind on the shelves will escape the other lifetime supply hoarders and be there for the newbies starting out in the sport of shooting. Up here just about every vendor has for the last three years been limiting what each individual can buy. Especially ammo. And it's fairly easy to do because in this province ammo purchases are recorded using the buyer's Federal firearms license. Does it stop hoarding? No. But it takes a bite out of it for sure.

In 2021 I was having a helluva time finding steel shot shells. I found a couple boxes to hunt geese but pretty much abstained that year. In Montana I hunt pheasants primarily on federal refuges (about the only publicly accessible land that wasn't grazed to dirt during the drought) which require non-toxic shot. I had a box and a half left from the previous year and then the hunt was on for more. I called every outlet from Dillon to Glasgow to Billings and Miles City. Nothing. A store with a range in Anaconda told me, "Too bad you didn't call yesterday. I got in seven flats and some guy from Spokane, WA drove down and took them all." I'm sure the other businesses in the area who count on nonresident waterfowl hunters appreciated him exporting those resources.

To each their own but I will put my guns up for sale before I join the hoarding parade.
I think that you are drawing conclusions without knowing the facts. When I bought my powder and primers in bulk there were were no shortages of them. The primers cost an average of $28 per 1000 and the powder averaged less than that per pound. I plead not guilty to hoarding anything, just being prudent! That is what I was suggesting that we all do to avoid supply problems in the future.

I totally disagree. I laid in 10,000+ primers when there was no shortage and still plenty on the shelves for anyone who wanted to buy them. Am I a hoarder? Perhaps. But I laid in reloading components when no one was going short. When things got tight, I went through my supplies and sold everything I didn’t need at pre-shortage prices. To each his own, but be cautious casting judgement.

To each his own, but be cautious casting judgement.
Let he who is without sin or primers cast the first stone

I have been on Precision Reloading's back order list for over 2 years now for all different Federal and CCI primers and have not been able to get one box, they claim they have not had ANY primers come in in over 2 years. (yea right) alsoHungry Dog is out of business closed up last winter. well got to go leaving for So Africa in 7 hours for 12 days good luck
That is terrible news! They got me powder last time, I guess I will try anyway. Hungry dog sold the shop but are going mobile again from what I hear, I need a hot dog fix! Best of luck on your trip, bring pictures, stay safe!

When the last administration was in office we had some of the cheapest fuel, ammo, and reloading components is a long time. When Covid hit people could no longer buy ammo so they turned to reloading. The regular reloading guys got the hit hard 1 ammo is the manufacturer money maker and two most components are over runs so companies didn't mind selling when times a normal.

Two years ago federal had a 2 year backlog of ammo sales. With the current state of the economy. We might see components, if you have been paying attention you have noticed ammo prices dropping. People have more important things to buy. Not a good thing for anyone, we might see some components do to lack of ammo sales.

Side note, stock up when it's cheap and plentiful. I have no where near a lifetime supply. Have enough that I'm not sweating it. I'm not shooting as many matches either...just don't know what your are going to find and when.

That makes me feel like I got a deal today at $30 per hundred. Just wanted to pass this on. Everyone else on GB wanted $200 more for 1,000

That's not a good sign.
They have been hard to get in Australia Nd thinking is that is going to be hard for a while.

We thought up to $20 per 100 was high.

I remember a few years back if you dropped a few primers on the floor at 3-4 cents apiece it usually wasn't, worth the bother, how times have changed

Realistic? When I've just bought 1000 magnum LR primers for $160.00? At $45 a hundred that's robbery! And yes I'll complain about people like that because they are crooks taking advantage of a poor situation. Not stopping you from paying $45 a hundred. Have at it friend.
@Rick HOlbert
Ned Kelly is alive and well in the states as well with some prices.
When I knew what was coming I stocked up and when the mate bought a 223 I was able to provide him with 1,000 small rifle primers for what I paid. $92 /1,000. He was very happy because at the time they were $340/1,000.
Fortunately my lgs doesn't believe in price gouging.
Bob

That makes me feel like I got a deal today at $30 per hundred. Just wanted to pass this on. Everyone else on GB wanted $200 more for 1,000
@ Rare Breed
At $30/100 that equates to $300/1,000. That bloody outrageous. Lat lot I bought were $80/1000. So I bought 3,000. That still left a few thousand for others to buy. Next day they were all gone tho.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kendra49F

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.