Love or Hate for the 458 Winchester

Good question but we know that there are many game rangers out on there on there own for Dangerous Game Control with a 458 WinMag and have been for many decades…
A “game ranger” shoots what ever rifle is assigned to him and the 3 or 4 cartridges given to him.

Normally ammo is purchased by game dept. once a year. They purchase what ever they can purchase.

Lon

I wonder how many will go with a 458 winmag and hunt DG WITH OUT A PH Backing them. How many will with something more poweful. Again how many have stoped a nasty charge og DG with a 458 win mag.
Krish
I stopped a buffalo that was charging my PH. Don't know how many others have stopped charges of DG with a .458, but I would guess it's been quite a few.

...I have a very good friend who is a P/H in Zimbabwe and has been relying on a .458WM for back up on dangerous game for going on thirty years. The majority of his clients are hunting elephant/buffalo. Obviously the .458WM continues to do the job or he would have opted for a better (?) stopper.

Just saying...
Would he still choose it if other calibers and rifles where readily availible? It is not like you can walk into the Harare gunshop and order what you want like at Safari and Outdoor in RSA.....
Just asking....

Would he still choose it if other calibers and rifles where readily availible? It is not like you can walk into the Harare gunshop and order what you want like at Safari and Outdoor in RSA.....
Just asking....

If it works, it works... there is always something bigger, but enough is simply that... enough. A full load with a 500 grain bullet out of a .458 WM is enough.

Just asking....
...Well IvW, I know he had the option to choose some other caliber, he chose the .458WM. I know that for a fact, since I was the one having Gene Simillian build the rifle for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericzwai01

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]