Love or Hate for the 458 Winchester

Reaction score
I just purchased a 458 Winchester made by Whitworth off of guns international. I’m anticipating its arrival. There seems to be mixed emotions about the cartridge. I’d like to hear some real examples. It seemed to have significantly decreased the African elephant population along with the 308 FAL through culling operations in the second half of the last century. So it must have some merit. Please weigh in if you have used it on game including and up too Buffalo.

From what I understand the cartridge originally had major issues with case capacity. These seem to have been mostly solved with better powders becoming available.

I personally feel the 458 Win Mag should’ve been loaded from day one with a good quality 450gr bullet and never a 500gr.

Dropping that 50gr in bullet weigh gives you case volume and the extra velocity that the 50”gr is lacking.

Love the Black Powder reference in the name choice

Most of the bad rep comes from ammo when 458WM was first launched. This has been resolved for the most part with modern factory loads, or handloads. You’ve got a fine rifle and fine caliber for anything you might want in Africa. If you decide you don’t like it, you can always rechamber to a 458Lott or do a 450 Rigby.

458 winchester action is not big enough for 458 lott or 450 rigby. If it is cz 550 manum action you can.
Krish

I can tell you first hand. With modern ammo it will take down a charging bull elephant at 15 yards. That was with a 500 grain solid

458 winchester action is not big enough for 458 lott or 450 rigby. If it is cz 550 manum action you can.
Krish
Thanks for the correction. I was thinking whitworth might be a magnum Mauser action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiaraStolt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa