Looking For Dangerous Game Rifle

All my guns are 1 MOA or better but it’s an anecdote at the bottom of the list for what matters. 116 yard zebra shot at 1 MOA means you have 1-1/8” margin of error. Even at 2 MOA 2-1/4”. This isn’t rocket science shooting where accuracy was the penultimate factor.
Making me look up words again...;)

It’s just a bizarre reprioritization of dangerous game rifle requirements. It leads to posts on this forum of how great someone’s rem700 in 416 remington is with its 4-12x 50mm scope in high rings.

Average dangerous game shooting distance in the boddington survey was 38 yards.

The least accurate guns are wholly sufficient but they better feed and extract flawlessly and have perfect sight alignment for rapid shooting without hesitation.

All my guns are 1 MOA or better but it’s an anecdote at the bottom of the list for what matters. 116 yard zebra shot at 1 MOA means you have 1-1/8” margin of error. Even at 2 MOA 2-1/4”. This isn’t rocket science shooting where accuracy was the penultimate factor.
I couldn't agree with you more, but I don't think any here is actually disagreeing. Any modern rifle will be accurate enough. Not all modern rifles feed flawlessly. not all hunters know how to run their guns correctly. Accuracy is the least important of those three factors. Many hunters can't control their nerve well enough to see how accurate a modern big bore is anyway.

Good maybe he can learn a few things before he chooses which rifle and caliber he wants.
My Grandfather would often say "you can learn something from anyone, even if it's what not to do". Sound advice but sometimes (with firearms) it's tough to learn from others. But I agree with you...the more information the OP has the better. Then he can make the most informed decision in his best interest.

Good experiences with a mid-bore will be a key to success on anything larger. Proper fitting rifle and one that is an appropriate weight for the caliber is another. Shorter shooting sessions (less than 10 rounds) to gain experience and become comfortable. Shooting off sticks instead of the bench. Practice with a .22 caliber that is of similar size and weight. Lots of things to learn here on AH and I've only scratched the surface.

Sorry @Cam300...I don't have a DG caliber rifle to sell you and I apologize for going off topic. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: SLG
My Grandfather would often say "you can learn something from anyone, even if it's what not to do". Sound advice but sometimes (with firearms) it's tough to learn from others. But I agree with you...the more information the OP has the better. Then he can make the most informed decision in his best interest.

Good experiences with a mid-bore will be a key to success on anything larger. Proper fitting rifle and one that is an appropriate weight for the caliber is another. Shorter shooting sessions (less than 10 rounds) to gain experience and become comfortable. Shooting off sticks instead of the bench. Practice with a .22 caliber that is of similar size and weight. Lots of things to learn here on AH and I've only scratched the surface.

Sorry @Cam300...I don't have a DG caliber rifle to sell you and I apologize for going off topic. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
The short shooting session thing is real. I tried being a tough guy with my 460 when I first started and it is very counter productive. Keep it to about 8 or 10 rounds at most per session and make them count.

Hello everyone, I will be heading to Zim next year for my first buffalo hunt. For PG I used the PH’s rifle, but for buffalo I’d like to bring my own and have plenty of time to practice with it. New guns in DG calibers seem to be hard to find, so I figured I would ask here if anyone was interested in selling one in their collection. I don’t mind if it’s got some character as long as it’s been well taken care of. I’d also like to know that it will last for quite some time, because something tells me this won’t be my last trip to Africa. I am open to any DG caliber. Thank you all and appreciate you reading this post.
I would suggest something that starts with a 4...(bar nr. 2)as long as it does not have Weatherby behind it....
450/400 NE
500/416NE
404Jeff
416 Rigby

Gives you proven performance and 2 choices on either double or bolt action.....all you will ever need as a visiting hunter for buffalo or any other DG for that matter.....

I think the thread is completely on-target and not off-topic.

put another way, Dangerous Game Rifles - Feed and Extract flawlessly with a suitable comb for instant target acquisition With iron sights or scope.

So, that puts it in the $3500-$350,000 array of options.

The OP Has yet to say what his budget is which will determine if he is seeking a dangerous game rifle or a rifle in a large caliber not entirely suitable for dangerous game. Many untrustworthy, highly accurate rifles in large bore cartridges can be had starting at around $1200. A well tuned CZ or Winchester that is properly worked over is sort of the ground floor on “field worthy” DG rifles and they start quite a bit higher than that.

A bit of calibration from the OP on what his requirements and budget are will assist in finding a viable (or cheap but non-viable) rifle to suit his budget.

You can never go wrong with a 375 H&H Cam, but don't overlook the 375 Ruger. I have several H&H and also a 375 Ruger All are accurate and dependable and no animal I ever shot knew the difference.

As stated here by others, a good 375 will eliminate the need to borrow a PH's rifle as it can do it all even out to 300 yards for PG if necessary. You will also have solids (or FMJ) for your buffalo hunt and they are great for the small stuff such as Steinbok. You will take more pride in any shot you make with your own rifle.

Right now times are crazy and finding any 375 in stock is going to be a challange, and a used search like you are doing is really your only option. I'm just not ready to turn loose of any of my heavies at this time, but I wish you luck in your search. Once you have a good 375 H&H you will be like most of us and become very reluctant to let it go.

All that being said don't overlook any of the 416's. They are a great mid caliber choice between the 375 and the 458's.

Like the 375 with 300's a good 416 throwing a 400 gr bullet at 2400 fps is good for everything including long shots on PG.

But for you enjoyment, I hope you don't have to do many long shots. The challange here is in the stalk, and with that fact stated, may the vast majority of your shots be at 70 yards or less. We ARE Hunters, not Shooters, and the hunt is what we enjoy most.

Good luck with the rifle search, and your upcoming Buffalo Hunt.

Like most others out there who have wanted to find the “right” safari rifle, I bought a bunch over the years. 375HH, 404J, 460WBY, 458 win, 458 Lott, 500NE, plus the pile of pg rifles. Tried the double rifle thing (not for me - some guys love them and that’s great). After many dollars, range time and hunts I came to the conclusion that a nice 375HH bolt rifle is the way to go. The journey to get to that conclusion was fun but sounds like you want to cut to the chase.
that’s my $.02 cents - hope you find what you want.

I have a couple 375 H&H rifles that I would let go:

- Current production model 70 Alaskan. $1650
- CZ 550 with the hogs back stock. $1350

Both are new in box / unfired. If there is any interest in these I can pull everything out and take some photos.
I will take it.
CZ 550 with the hogs back stock. $1350.
PM SENT.
KRISH

This is very simple. Buy a 375 Model 70 Alaskan or a 416 Safari Express. They are very cheap. Importing animals is not. Give ‘em horns as they say. New Haven or Portugal - it doesn’t matter. They will go bang when you pull the trigger.

Without hesitation, @krish. Easy decision.
Like member @Berettaco said, (Like most others out there who have wanted to find the “right” safari rifle, I bought a bunch over the years. 375HH, 404J, 460WBY, 458 win, 458 Lott, 500NE, plus the pile of pg rifles. Tried the double rifle thing (not for me - some guys love them and that’s great). After many dollars, range time and hunts I came to the conclusion that a nice 375HH bolt rifle is the way to go. The journey to get to that conclusion was fun but sounds like you want to cut to the chase.) It is no question decision.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TammieCale

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]