Looking For Dangerous Game Rifle

If you want one caliber for both PG and DG it’s hard to beat the 375. Why use your PH rifle for PG when your 375 will handle it and perfect for Buffalo as well
I strongly suggest that "bigger is better!" African game takes a lot of punishment and stays on its feet. Ex: Some years ago, in Rhodesia, while walking, I jumped a nice impala bull. He ran from me; I got a quartering shot that I aimed at his off front leg (7mm Mag through the center of his chest). He went down.

We walked up toward the impala, maybe for two minutes, and he was up and off running again. He got about 40 yards away, and I took another quartering shot, other side this time. He went down again. He stayed down, this time. Right then, we opened him up. Both bullets went through his heart; there were only shreds of his heart left. Both had expanded correctly, did their job and were caught under the skin. And that was just an impala....

Having shot a few specimens of the larger game, I have two suggestions: (1) Practice with the rifle you are going to use. Shoot it until it becomes automatic to your mind to bring up the rifle,
settle on the shot and shoot it, reload and be ready again. The only times I've had problems on African hunts is when I used somebody else's gun. (The professional hunter's gun, usually.)

(2) Use enough gun. I suggest a .375 or larger. Buffs sometimes take a lot of killing. Don't shoot the damn thing and then congratulate yourself for a one-shot kill because it is disabled and not charging! Shoot it again! Make sure it stays down. The congratulations and photos come later!

Good Hunting!

Rust Merchant

There are lots of good pre64-M70 375 HH for sale on Gunsinternational for 4k and under, buy one and shoot it a lot to practice, while doing that read the book Kambaku by Harry Manners. If you know how to use that rifle it will do anything with the right ammo up the tube and it will be easy to shoot. If you want all weather high tech CRF action there is a Ed Brown Safari in 416 remington for sale on GI right now for 4k, buy it before I do, so I can't, I don't need another rifle but I have its big brother in 458 lott, and its a dandy.

If you only want to spend 1500 bucks on a dangerous game rifle, you need to go into it knowing its like buying a condom that could possibly have wholes in it.

Please consider the 378 Wby. I have advertised on Gunsinternational. The price will be less for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArmandoQue

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!