Looking For Dangerous Game Rifle

The WBY and the M77 Ruger are push Feed

So just depends what the liking is

PF over CRF etc

Here we go...CRF vs PF. :rolleyes: :A Stirring: :A Popcorn:

As our members have offered, many have acquired a few extra dangerous game rifles.
SIx or eight months ago someone posted they could not find a decent .375 DGR. I posted up that I had a couple too many. The OP didn't respond but a member reading the post did. I ended up selling two .375's to his hunting partner at a discounted price, i.e. "Prices too low to reveal".

PS: If you want a 450 Rigby on a South African Vector magnum action, I need to list mine for sale. :)
There is also a Chapuis double over under in .375 H&H that JJ Perodeau just regulated and has for sale on his website. I've known the owner for over 60 years...

As our members have offered, many have acquired a few extra dangerous game rifles.
SIx or eight months ago someone posted they could not find a decent .375 DGR. I posted up that I had a couple too many. The OP didn't respond but a member reading the post did. I ended up selling two .375's to his hunting partner at a discounted price, i.e. "Prices too low to reveal".

PS: If you want a 450 Rigby on a South African Vector magnum action, I need to list mine for sale. :)
There is also a Chapuis double over under in .375 H&H that JJ Perodeau just regulated and has for sale on his website. I've known the owner for over 60 years...

Hi Mark, would you mind posting a few pictures of that vektor? ;)

Hi Mark, would you mind posting a few pictures of that vektor?

Hey Vertigo,

I don't mind but I haven't shot good photos of the action. That takes time. If you need something specific in a hurry, please send me a PM.

Here are a couple photos of the rifle;

18452-08.jpg
18452-07.jpg

Nice rifle
Is in us.
What do they want for it.
Krish
Hi Krish and all,

Thanks! Yes, this 450 Rigby is in the USA.
I haven't however listed it for sale yet. When I do, the sale will include CH4D dies, brass, and factory ammo.

Otherwise, send me a PM.

Thanks again,
Mark

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.53.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.53.58 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.53.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.53.59 PM.png
    579 KB · Views: 58
Hey Vertigo,

I don't mind but I haven't shot good photos of the action. That takes time. If you need something specific in a hurry, please send me a PM.

Here are a couple photos of the rifle;

View attachment 478599View attachment 478600
That is very very nice Mark, thanks,
If you would have a picture of the rifle in it's entirety I would definitely be interested to see it. No hurry however, as I forgot about you being located in the US, so that would complicate things.

Any particular reason that you would be letting this one leave the herd?

Any particular reason that you would be letting this one leave the herd?

Hmmm, let's see...

I have a 458 Lott built by Roger Biesen, and a Heym 88B n 458 Winchester, both of which I took on an unsuccessful elephant hunt last October. I did kill a zebra at over 150 meters with the Lott and a Giraffe at a measured 116 meters with the Heym double. I like those guns.

In .416 caliber I own a custom .416 Remington in a New Haven CRF M70, a Pre-64 M70 in .416 Taylor, and I have a .416 Rigby in a Merkel 141AE waiting to be shipped from England.

In .375 H&H, I have a Jim Kobe custom Pre-64 M70, the aforementioned Chapuis O/U double, and a Merkel 141AE also waiting to be shipped from England.

I like my Pre-64 M70's, and love my Heym double. I think the .416 Rigby double will be "just right", providing that with it's scope on I can hit targets and game at 200 yards.

140-416_5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the Classics,404 Jeffery or 416 Rigby,if you want a Double go for the 450-400.have stood the test of Time and still some of the best{IMHO}.

@Cam300 I've got a like new .416 Rigby CZ 550 with the prettiest wood I've seen on factory gun. The caliber is a proven buffalo killer. But, like others - I'd recommend the .375 H&H for a starter DG rifle. Really up to you though - what do you want? You can definitely source a fine rifle from this group - would help if you narrowed down what you're looking for though.

Side note: I love how this thread quickly morphed from - what would the forum recommend as a first DG rifle and who has one to sell? - into - others eyeballing the offers and thinking about how they could fit *just* one more DG rifle in the safe...

Myself included - @Mark A Ouellette, that 450 Rigby sounds very interesting. You'll also be pleased to hear that your fine .375 AI helped my friend take his first nilgai a few months ago. He's very happy. Thanks again.

You'll also be pleased to hear that your fine .375 AI helped my friend take his first nilgai a few months ago.

Anything to help out fellow shooters and hunters.

Colonel Townsend Whelen said “Only accurate rifles are interesting.”

Oh, I think you would appreciate a fine 450 Rigby... :)
And your friend could sell Cam one of his .375's. I know that is a good gun!

Anything to help out fellow shooters and hunters.

Colonel Townsend Whelen said “Only accurate rifles are interesting.”

Oh, I think you would appreciate a fine 450 Rigby... :)
And your friend could sell Cam one of his .375's. I know that is a good gun!

An alternative to Col Whelen in my opinion:

For dangerous game rifles, accuracy is almost irrelevant. Feed and function are mandatory.

For dangerous game rifles, accuracy is almost irrelevant. Feed and function are mandatory.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. Somewhere above I wrote of shooting a zebra at 116 meters with my Heym 88B 458 WIn double rifle. I consider that an accurate rifle and interesting rifle. My M70 458 Lott smacked a zebra at 150 meters. For the recoil generated, that is also an accurate rifle, in my opinion. If feeds just fine, thank you very much.

I like my rifles to function properly and to be accurate. You may shoot whatever you desire.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Accuracy is imperative. I understand the importance of functionality in a DG rifle, but if a rifle cant be functional and accurate, well then it just isn't much of a rifle. If a rifle marketed his rifles as " it always functions but we just never know for sure exactly where the bullet is gonna go" then he isn't much of a gunsmith in my opinion. While there is not a need for 1/4 MOA rifles in DG hunting I feel that anything over 1.5 MOA isn't acceptable. That gives you a 3" impact area at 200 yards. This is solely my opinion and YMMV but in order for me to feel confident with a rifle I need to know that bullet is going exactly where that sight was when the trigger broke.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Accuracy is imperative. I understand the importance of functionality in a DG rifle, but if a rifle cant be functional and accurate, well then it just isn't much of a rifle. If a rifle marketed his rifles as " it always functions but we just never know for sure exactly where the bullet is gonna go" then he isn't much of a gunsmith in my opinion. While there is not a need for 1/4 MOA rifles in DG hunting I feel that anything over 1.5 MOA isn't acceptable. That gives you a 3" impact area at 200 yards. This is solely my opinion and YMMV but in order for me to feel confident with a rifle I need to know that bullet is going exactly where that sight was when the trigger broke.
Besides that accurate rifles kept me and lots of others alive when hunting DG in the middle east :cool:

It’s just a bizarre reprioritization of dangerous game rifle requirements. It leads to posts on this forum of how great someone’s rem700 in 416 remington is with its 4-12x 50mm scope in high rings.

Average dangerous game shooting distance in the boddington survey was 38 yards.

The least accurate guns are wholly sufficient but they better feed and extract flawlessly and have perfect sight alignment for rapid shooting without hesitation.

All my guns are 1 MOA or better but it’s an anecdote at the bottom of the list for what matters. 116 yard zebra shot at 1 MOA means you have 1-1/8” margin of error. Even at 2 MOA 2-1/4”. This isn’t rocket science shooting where accuracy was the penultimate factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForrestOso

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!