Looking For A Lefty Bolt Action Big Bore ~8k

I’m a Lefty, we have something in common - I’ve also had to “work” at finding lefty guns including my double .470 NE Chapuis. I actually did Not want a true “lefty action” on my double - I’ve worked right handed double shotguns all my life and don’t think I could learns something New....at least not reliably in a DG “charge” where my memory would become automatic. Also, I disagree that you double gun will not lose value - for the next 10-15 years you may not get what you paid for it. I know my Chapuis will not resell for the 2006 $14,800 purchase price - not for several more years even though it is mint.
I’m an African newby. I have shot shot guns lefty for 50 years. So as a double rifle newby I am learning from scratch. Not sure if it all matters on the 1st charge w/ poop running down my leg…. Lmao. Thanks for including me in the conversation.

I’m an African newby. I have shot shot guns lefty for 50 years. So as a double rifle newby I am learning from scratch. Not sure if it all matters on the 1st charge w/ poop running down my leg…. Lmao. Thanks for including me in the conversation.
Quiz, you’re right - during a “charge” Me fumbling with either a Lefty or Righty action would be the least of my problems (I’ve never faced a “charge”). Regarding Lefty actions, I got my first one in 1995 (Benelli 12ga semi auto) and while the shell ejecting out the right was nice - the cross bolt safety took much getting use to (it’s reversed from a right handed semi auto). Growing up left handed you learn to become somewhat ambidextrous and operating right handed guns became “normal”. I don’t think I could adjust to a true LH action on a double gun and then if I did - would have trouble operating all my right handed doubles....my motor skills are now ingrained —- so switching back & forth would be a problem and Especially with a double rifle, which you’re Not going to shoot more then 30-50 rounds a year. I do agree - if starting from scratch it might be the way to go, there must be a reason that right handed actions were designed the way they are - “ease and efficiency” of operation.

Quiz, you’re right - during a “charge” Me fumbling with either a Lefty or Righty action would be the least of my problems (I’ve never faced a “charge”). Regarding Lefty actions, I got my first one in 1995 (Benelli 12ga semi auto) and while the shell ejecting out the right was nice - the cross bolt safety took much getting use to (it’s reversed from a right handed semi auto). Growing up left handed you learn to become somewhat ambidextrous and operating right handed guns became “normal”. I don’t think I could adjust to a true LH action on a double gun and then if I did - would have trouble operating all my right handed doubles....my motor skills are now ingrained —- so switching back & forth would be a problem and Especially with a double rifle, which you’re Not going to shoot more then 30-50 rounds a year. I do agree - if starting from scratch it might be the way to go, there must be a reason that right handed actions were designed the way they are - “ease and efficiency” of operation.
I completely agree. Have some great hunts man!

Did the OP ever get his Big Bore lefty?

I ended up with this Dakota:

It came with plenty of ammo, plus I picked up more from one of our members last year on my way to hunt Elk at Acoma, NM. Unfortunately, it’s still in my gun safe without a scope and I’ve yet to fire it… I will soon!

It is a beautiful rifle and I got a great deal on it!

Attachments

It came with plenty of ammo, plus I picked up more from one of our members last year on my way to hunt Elk at Acoma, NM. Unfortunately, it’s still in my gun safe without a scope and I’ve yet to fire it… I will soon!

congratulations! Dakota's in my opinion are one of the very best bargains in bespoke rifles today. We'll look back at these threads in twenty years laughing that people were paying so little for these guns. Your gun is very nice. From a collector pespective, the proprietary Dakota caliber is the only ding. I think you can send your gun to Parkwest and for a nominal charge they will ream out the chamber to 450 Rigby for you, marking the barrel as such. At that point, you have the largest stopping rifle ever made by Dakota and you can find brass and ammo easily.

congratulations! Dakota's in my opinion are one of the very best bargains in bespoke rifles today. We'll look back at these threads in twenty years laughing that people were paying so little for these guns. Your gun is very nice. From a collector pespective, the proprietary Dakota caliber is the only ding. I think you can send your gun to Parkwest and for a nominal charge they will ream out the chamber to 450 Rigby for you, marking the barrel as such. At that point, you have the largest stopping rifle ever made by Dakota and you can find brass and ammo easily.

Great idea…

Thanks!

I too would like to know if OP ever found a big-bore lefty for ~8k? And if anyone else has any Left-Hand Big-Bore (.416 Rigby or larger) rifles they've found for sale, please let me know.

I was getting ready to buy a MRC LH 404 a number of years ago, then MRC went belly up. So I waited. And waited. And waited some more. Finally a LH 404J MRC showed up at GB and I bought it. It is the Alaskan version, synthetic stock, SS barrel. Too short LOP and very low (for me) cheek riser. It has hi-viz express sights, but the comb is too low even to use those.

I've kluged together a fix for both of those issues and it works. If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid. Still and all, I'd like to put a walnut stock on it, one that actually fits.

I lucked out a few years ago and bought a LH CZ 550 in 404 jeffery that already had Wayne's old AHR upgrade #1. The stock looks like a fence post though so I'm having it restocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KelleeShic

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.