Long time waiting for this one

Thank you very much! I liked his wide spread as well. I feel it gives him some character. :) You can just go hunt them with a general tag? You don't need to put in for a draw or anything? That would be awesome! I wonder what would be involved with a non-resident hunting there. I agree with you about them as table fair as well. I have found them to be very good!
We do have a draw system. With the population out here, it's just easy to draw a tag. There are some units that take several preference points, but where I am hunting, I'll typically draw a buck tag 3 out of 4 years. Those years I don't draw a buck, I'll draw a doe as a 2nd choice.
With the allocation percentage for non-residents, your odds of drawing are quite good in a lot of units. The issue for most non-residents is land access. Most of eastern Colorado is private land, so permission is required. There are quite a few outfitters that guide for antelope; that would include the access. The other benefit of using some outfitters is bypassing the draw system as they have landowner tags that can be purchased; price is typically higher than through the draw. Permission is usually pretty easy to get, but it does take some effort. Doing it remotely would just add a little to the effort needed.
DIY antelope is pretty easy. Doesn't take a lot of specialized equipment. If you did it up there, you can do it in Colorado. Or Wyoming; pretty easy to get a tag there as well with a lot of public land available.
Applications are due in early April. Everything is done online now at https://cpw.state.co.us/
Not sure when WY applications are due. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/apply-or-buy/

@Woodcarver That all makes sense. Obviously a very healthy population of them where you hunt! I think land access/permission can be one of the biggest barriers anywhere, especially if it's someplace new and unknown to you. A guided hunt may make more sense in that way, but it would likely hurt the bank account a bit.
Apparently I don't need to go Colorado.... @Ragman has got them so thick where he lives in Saskatchewan that he's tripping over them! OR he's got horseshoes up his ass! :E Laugh: I mean who gets their first Pronghorn with a bow?? I was having a hard time trying to get within 300 yards to them! My bow isn't the newest, latest, and greatest, but even if it was I have a feeling 300 yards may be just a teensy bit too much to be asking for! LOL Seriously though Buddy, that's pretty awesome to get your very first one with your bow. And almost ALWAYS the way it turns out that you see the monster one after you've filled your tag! I'd still like to see it though if you have pictures!

Thank you.

@Cam Moon I think I didn’t explain that right. The archery buck was my 6th pronghorn, but the 1st with the bow. And there wasn’t a whole lot of skill involved! It was early September and the antelope hadn’t been chased all over yet so we’re still calm. The two young bucks were fairly close to a parked combine, so I just had to keep it between us. When the first buck stepped clear, I ranged him at 44 yards and flung a Rage at him. Game over.
763CA64F-40F4-44CE-842C-5F173CBDC475.jpeg

Of the half dozen pronghorn I’ve shot, this is the best one. Got him in 1992.
21E04385-B2F6-4CF7-9423-CD62F32EB166.png

@Ragman You've got 6 of them? Wow! You must have quite a few around! How long (typically) do you have to put in for them before you're successful?
The one you got mounted is impressive. Thanks for sharing.

@Ragman You've got 6 of them? Wow! You must have quite a few around! How long (typically) do you have to put in for them before you're successful?
The one you got mounted is impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Well the first time I got drawn was 1990 and the last time was 2009 so it’s a few years between. I’m still trying to draw a tag since ‘09.

Since 09? So then about the same as in Alberta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkusRote

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?