Long time waiting for this one

Nice antelope! I especially like the height to the cutters and the spread (or width) Should score well!

No, just horns sitting on the garage wall with various and sundry other critters.
IMG_2509.JPG

Nice antelope! I especially like the height to the cutters and the spread (or width) Should score well!
Thank you. I've never had anything scored.

Nice looking Pronghorn @Cam Moon .
I wasn't even going to mount mine last year, but my wife said she preferred shoulder mounts to euros. How do you argue with a lady that thinks like that. Now it is one of my favorite mounts. They just set up beautifully.
Can we see it??? :A Photo:

No, haven’t been that lucky with the draws! Yours looks great!
Thanks Aaron. Keep putting in for it. It's a very enjoyable hunt!

That is a very good looking mount, well done. Do you shoot pronghorn at long distance? Is this the one that runs forever?

That is a very good looking mount, well done. Do you shoot pronghorn at long distance? Is this the one that runs forever?
They do run with very little provocation, can see for miles and cover ground about like a cheetah.. I shot mine at about 300 yards with a .257 Roberts.

Thank you Kevin. Yes, you often need to shoot from a distance as they have exceptional eyesight. To get an idea, imagine looking through binoculars with 8X magnification, but with a field of view you've never seen! With a 320 degree view they can see almost in all directions at the same time, and they can pick up movement at 4 miles (nearly 6 1/2 km) away. So as you could imagine, it can be difficult to get close.
As far as running, with a top speed of about 60mph (100km/h) they are not only the fastest land animal in North America, but the second fastest in the world. (Cheetah is the fastest) But they also have incredible endurance. Pronghorn can run for over 20 miles (30km) at a speed of about 40mph (65km/h), so when you bust them, they are gone!! It all adds to the challenge of the hunt. I've been putting in for an archery draw as well, but I don't know how well that's going to play out for me! I won't be betting any money on my success, but I should have fun trying!!

Nice, congrats !

@MAdcox He's got wicked high cutters!

nice speed goat!!! Congratuations

Very nice. The last time I got drawn for pronghorn here was 2009. Had intentions of looking for a big one once rifle season started, but one day while bowhunting mulies I saw a couple young bucks hanging out close to a combine and grain cart and decided to use them to my advantage and try a stalk. It worked and I killed my first pronghorn with a bow. On my way home of course I saw a giant!

Nice mount Cam. What year did you take him? I'm still waiting to put in my draw but I don't know where to choose. I think I'm priority 18 or something but the last few years it's been so dry that a lot of land owners don't want to grant access because of the damage to the grass, or what's left of it. I don't blame them in the least. My scouting trips over the last couple have been pretty much fruitless. It's a big area to scout for sure.

Thank you. I got him in 2019. The taxidermist I chose had estimated up to a year for completion, but then covid hit. The tannery he uses was shut down for a while, and then were backlogged when they reopened. Obviously this put several of Tyler's (taxidermist) customers animals behind time and he was overloaded trying to play catch up! Then the poor bugger got hit with covid pretty hard to the point that it took him out of action for nearly 6 weeks!
I understood and offered to be bumped a bit if he had some less understanding customers. In the end it was over 2 years to get him back, but that's the way things go sometimes and it's best to just roll with it. I'm not upset with Tyler about the delay, and I think he did a great job!
A level 18 priority??? Get out there and get one!!! They are a great hunt! Have you hunted them in the past?

Thank you. I got him in 2019. The taxidermist I chose had estimated up to a year for completion, but then covid hit. The tannery he uses was shut down for a while, and then were backlogged when they reopened. Obviously this put several of Tyler's (taxidermist) customers animals behind time and he was overloaded trying to play catch up! Then the poor bugger got hit with covid pretty hard to the point that it took him out of action for nearly 6 weeks!
I understood and offered to be bumped a bit if he had some less understanding customers. In the end it was over 2 years to get him back, but that's the way things go sometimes and it's best to just roll with it. I'm not upset with Tyler about the delay, and I think he did a great job!
A level 18 priority??? Get out there and get one!!! They are a great hunt! Have you hunted them in the past?
Cam: No I never had an opportunity to dedicate a time slot yet, it always seems to conflict with harvest around here and I haven't found time to scout pre draw as to where to go. It's going to take one hell of a buck to come close to yours. But I'm getting old so I better hurry up and get it done. I have a couple fishing spots out in that country that antelope inhabitant so I hope to get a couple of fishing scouting days in this spring. I know what you mean about the Covid delays in the taxidermy business. My trophies that I took in 2018 finally arrived this past May and they're at the taxidermist currently. The trophies that I took in November 2019 are about to be shipped in the next couple of weeks, but they had their taxidermy work in Africa.

Cam: No I never had an opportunity to dedicate a time slot yet, it always seems to conflict with harvest around here and I haven't found time to scout pre draw as to where to go. It's going to take one hell of a buck to come close to yours. But I'm getting old so I better hurry up and get it done. I have a couple fishing spots out in that country that antelope inhabitant so I hope to get a couple of fishing scouting days in this spring. I know what you mean about the Covid delays in the taxidermy business. My trophies that I took in 2018 finally arrived this past May and they're at the taxidermist currently. The trophies that I took in November 2019 are about to be shipped in the next couple of weeks, but they had their taxidermy work in Africa.
I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures!!
But the shipping costs are ridiculous right now aren't they!!!

Nice antelope! I like the wider horns. Has good cutters too.

It's interesting to hear the differences in getting tags. Pronghorn are an annual hunt for me. Usually with a buck tag, but sometimes just a doe. We have a very healthy population in most of SE Colorado. They are also great eating if taken care of properly. One of my preferred steaks!

Nice antelope! I like the wider horns. Has good cutters too.

It's interesting to hear the differences in getting tags. Pronghorn are an annual hunt for me. Usually with a buck tag, but sometimes just a doe. We have a very healthy population in most of SE Colorado. They are also great eating if taken care of properly. One of my preferred steaks!
Thank you very much! I liked his wide spread as well. I feel it gives him some character. :) You can just go hunt them with a general tag? You don't need to put in for a draw or anything? That would be awesome! I wonder what would be involved with a non-resident hunting there. I agree with you about them as table fair as well. I have found them to be very good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkusRote

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?