Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
LIFE NRA, LIFE SCI, LIFE TTHA, RME
Hunted
South Africa, England, Scotland, North America
The rifle is a 7 PCR @ 5lbs 13oz (2kg 387g) unloaded.
The rifle w/scope and ammo is 8lbs 3.6oz (3kg 102g) all in.
The rifle is a pure hunting rifle with a max distance I'd shoot to @ 800 yards (640m). 800 yards is a very very rare hunting shot, but I needed a number to dope to.
img_2625-jpeg.538592.jpeg

img_2653-jpeg.539824.jpeg

I'd like to find a scope/ring combo that shaves 10+oz (283.5g) off the weight. Current mounted scope is a Zeiss V8 1.8-14x50 @ 25.4oz (720g).

Scope must have:
1. At least 7mil elevation travel preferably 9mil (I'd prefer MIL over MOA)
2. Exposed w/zero stop elevation and capped windage turrets
3. Minimum of 10oz (283.5g) weight reduction
4. SFP
5. Daylight illumination center dot or cross
6. Side parallax focus
7. No Chinese manufacture (nothing personal to the Chinese, just these contracted scopes manufactures have less QC by design to keep cost down)
8. 0 MOA scope rail. No +20. I do not want to alter my cheek to stock fit.

Preferred options, but not deal breakers
1. 30mm tube
2. No more than 50mm front objective. 42mm or 44mm would be great.
3. 2x low and 16x high end preferred
4. Unconditional warranty, preferably lifetime
5. European or Japanese glass
6. Uncluttered simple duplex with fine crosshair

There isn't a cost concern past value gained vs. cost.

I haven't been able to find the magic pill on paper. It may not exist.

Suggestions? (yeah..yeah I know, just stick with what I have...and that will probably be the ultimate answer)

I've been impressed with Trijicons in my limited experience. On other forums they get good reviews for withstanding bumps and dialing well. Mine is 18oz so it might not save enough and give you all you want though.
If you want to be really minimal SWFA makes a 9.5 oz 2.5-10 scope. I have one on a 358 Winchester and like it for that. Supposed to dial pretty consistently so you could take the scope caps off and dial a shot.

Last edited:
I will go out on a limb and say that scope doesn’t exist. Too many of the features you list add weight (large range of elevation, illuminated, turrets).

If you are targeting a very minimal weight rifle setup (as it seems you are), I would suggest cutting out the modern amenities and get a “basic” Swarovski so you still have the optical clarity. You can do better than Swarovski for some features, but not for combination of lightweight and optical clarity. IMHO of course.

Look on their website and see if they have any options that get close to your desires.

I will be beyond shocked if you can find a scope that fits your parameters and weighs 15oz, in any brand and at any price. I don’t think it can exist with today’s scopes.

I think it's correct that what you want doesn't exist at that weight. You're either going to have a smaller less capable scope or you won't save 10oz. If you did save 10 oz and got all those features I'd worry about the scope being fragile.

I dropped a 308 with a Leopold 2-7 Freedom about 12 inches onto a pad. Not only did the groups shift they expanded with random fliers. I consider the scope broken. I don't care if a company had a warranty. No amount of money will fix a miss on a once in a lifetime hunt. I shifted to focusing on scopes that won't break (no more Leopolds especially not big but light scopes). There is no standard test for scope ruggedness that I'm aware of but the general concensus seems to be Trijicons are hard to break. So I stuck a 2.5-10 Trijicon Huron on my 308. Seems solid so far. I do want to check zero now that it's been banged around for a hunting season. I'd rather carry a few oz more and not worry about scope zero shifts. My friend lost a chance at his first Dall sheep. His rifle tipped over and the Vortex Diamondback sifted enough that it was off by feet at 70 yards.

For what it's worth my Trijicon is 18 oz so close to your weight goal but a bit less scope. But the cross hairs are very fine and its nice glass. I'd probably be comfortable stretching my range at 10x more with that scope than most. My SWFA 3-9 (which I might sell) is 19 oz and is MIL with exposed turrets. None of those give you everything you want but maybe close enough.

If you’re going to carry the extra weight anywhere, do it in your scope. If you are backpack hunting, there are plenty of places to cut weight without compromising on the most important piece of kit you are packing.

I will go out on a limb and say that scope doesn’t exist. Too many of the features you list add weight (large range of elevation, illuminated, turrets).

Thats why I’m asking. Those requirements you listed are what’s killing it. Thanks for looking.

I think it's correct that what you want doesn't exist at that weight. You're either going to have a smaller less capable scope or you won't save 10oz. If you did save 10 oz and got all those features I'd worry about the scope being fragile.

I dropped a 308 with a Leopold 2-7 Freedom about 12 inches onto a pad. Not only did the groups shift they expanded with random fliers. I consider the scope broken. I don't care if a company had a warranty. No amount of money will fix a miss on a once in a lifetime hunt. I shifted to focusing on scopes that won't break (no more Leopolds especially not big but light scopes). There is no standard test for scope ruggedness that I'm aware of but the general concensus seems to be Trijicons are hard to break. So I stuck a 2.5-10 Trijicon Huron on my 308. Seems solid so far. I do want to check zero now that it's been banged around for a hunting season. I'd rather carry a few oz more and not worry about scope zero shifts. My friend lost a chance at his first Dall sheep. His rifle tipped over and the Vortex Diamondback sifted enough that it was off by feet at 70 yards.

For what it's worth my Trijicon is 18 oz so close to your weight goal but a bit less scope. But the cross hairs are very fine and it’s nice glass. I'd probably be comfortable stretching my range at 10x more with that scope than most. My SWFA 3-9 (which I might sell) is 19 oz and is MIL with exposed turrets. None of those give you everything you want but maybe close enough.

Trijicon AccuPoints are nice scopes. I use their 1-4x24 w/german post on DG rifles. I either get to the weight and loose the elevation or loose a few ounces and it’s not worth it for 5 ounces.

I‘m chasing a Unicorn.

Trijicon AccuPoints are nice scopes. I use their 1-4x24 w/german post on DG rifles. I either get to the weight and loose the elevation or loose a few ounces and it’s not worth it for 5 ounces.

I‘m chasing a Unicorn.

When I was still mountain hunting seriously, I came to the realization that the easiest weight to shed was my own. 10 oz is pretty easy to lose around the middle or in the pack.

If you’re going to carry the extra weight anywhere, do it in your scope. If you are backpack hunting, there are plenty of places to cut weight without compromising on the most important piece of kit you are packing.
Agreed. Unless it’s at least 1/2 pound it’s not worth the sacrifice to me.

When I was still mountain hunting seriously, I came to the realization that the easiest weight to shed was my own. 10 oz is pretty easy to lose around the middle or in the pack.
Don’t you know it. The middle get harder the older you get. Youth is wasted on the young.

Check out Steiner predator 8 2-16. Great scope, German glass but American made. Great warranty. Not too big, 30mm tube. Has become my go to hunting scope. Can get for less than 1500 here, almost a 3rd less than swaro bc comes with flip lens covers and ballistic turret.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 4.35.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 4.35.28 PM.png
    705.2 KB · Views: 46
Unfortunately, most people read/speak to respond rather than understand. Some of the scopes mentioned are as heavy or heavier than your current setup.
Things like parallax adjustment add significant weight
Large objectives add weight
Exposed adjustable turrets add weight

I have been looking for the lightest illuminated scope with 30MM tube and minimum magnification of 10x.
Leupold consistently checks the most boxes for FOV, Turret capabilities, weight, and price.

Unfortunately, most people read/speak to respond rather than understand. Some of the scopes mentioned are as heavy or heavier than your current setup.
Things like parallax adjustment add significant weight
Large objectives add weight
Exposed adjustable turrets add weight

I have been looking for the lightest illuminated scope with 30MM tube and minimum magnification of 10x.
Leupold consistently checks the most boxes for FOV, Turret capabilities, weight, and price.

It happens. At least they are giving options. My want for the exposed vertical turret and parallax is the distances I can shoot at with this. In reality w/100 zero and a 175 pill at 3000 fps this is an 8" point of aim rifle out to 450ish yards. So I could cut back to 5 MIL and be ok, but I don't like running my scopes up past 80% of max adjustment and if I needed to go further it would be and issue.

Honestly I'm attempting to pair down my collection to sentimental and 3 lighter weight hunting rifles. This would be the all-around and I'm looking to get it as light as possible.

My issue is I'm looking for a Tacticle / High quality Hunting Hybrid and there really isn't much out there that is under 20oz.

The option may be multiple QD scopes set for a load. I can trade off extreme weight for a load.

Back to a problem that probably doesn't need the solutions I'm seeking.....LOL

It happens. At least they are giving options. My want for the exposed vertical turret and parallax is the distances I can shoot at with this. In reality w/100 zero and a 175 pill at 3000 fps this is an 8" point of aim rifle out to 450ish yards. So I could cut back to 5 MIL and be ok, but I don't like running my scopes up past 80% of max adjustment and if I needed to go further it would be and issue.

Honestly I'm attempting to pair down my collection to sentimental and 3 lighter weight hunting rifles. This would be the all-around and I'm looking to get it as light as possible.

My issue is I'm looking for a Tacticle / High quality Hunting Hybrid and there really isn't much out there that is under 20oz.

The option may be multiple QD scopes set for a load. I can trade off extreme weight for a load.

Back to a problem that probably doesn't need the solutions I'm seeking.....LOL

Honestly, your setup is pretty optimal as it is. I use a Mark 5 3.6-18x44 on my long range rig. It’s just about the same weight as your scope. I think it probably has a little better functionality but slightly lower quality glass.

Honestly, your setup is pretty optimal as it is. I use a Mark 5 3.6-18x44 on my long range rig. It’s just about the same weight as your scope. I think it probably has a little better functionality but slightly lower quality glass.

I have that scope as well. I'd choose it, if it wasn't for FFP. I'm not a fan of FFP for hunting rifles. It is an excellent scope. So is it's bigger brothers the 5-25 and 7-35. Great values for what you get.

I debated the 2-10x30, but it weights 24oz so it's just a smaller version of what I'm running, with less magnification and FFP.

I have not time behind this scope, but I think it looks like a great hunting tactical compromise.

Reactions: WAB
Leupold vari x 3 hd 3-10x40 fire dot (illuminated) with CDS DIAL

I think the Swarovski z5 3,5-18x44 tics all your boxes.

You could go Z6 but then weight increases and the objective is 50mm
I second this - BRH reticle - it’s what I have on my long range hunting setup. The dial isn’t my cup of tea for hunting, too many variables and forgetting to dial back down is a concern. BRH reticle works best for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaDorri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.