Lightweight scope suggestions

I don’t understand the 10x suggestions if the maximum distance is 800y. You all are clearly much better shots than I am. I’ve often dialed my Swarovski Z5 3,5-18x44, Zeiss Conquest 3-15x44s and a Sig Tango 4 6-24x50 up to maximum magnification (the latter up to 16-18) to drill a vervet monkey or baboon at 300-350 yards. If you have a stable rest why not? Especially on maximum magnification the BRX or BRH reticule on the SFP Swarovski then comes to its right.

Himm lot of money getting chucked out there.
Sightron S8 5-40 FFP will do you for those 800y shots. Not that Id use that for game but paper and gongs sure!

I would be curious what you decide on and what your ultimate priorities are. Please let us know! Obviously, we all have our preferences, and we should choose what feels most intuitive and gives us confidence. For me, if I want a light rifle scope and am shooting (rarely) 800 yard max, I thinking dial down the objective and magnification quite a bit.

I don’t understand the 10x suggestions if the maximum distance is 800y. You all are clearly much better shots than I am. I’ve often dialed my Swarovski Z5 3,5-18x44, Zeiss Conquest 3-15x44s and a Sig Tango 4 6-24x50 up to maximum magnification (the latter up to 16-18) to drill a vervet monkey or baboon at 300-350 yards. If you have a stable rest why not? Especially on maximum magnification the BRX or BRH reticule on the SFP Swarovski then comes to its right.
Really!? Interesting. I was just thinking the opposite. Would you really not have had the same confidence in your monkey shot at 8 or 10x, had 16-18 not been available? If I am shooting out to 800 yards (although he said rare, max) I am shooting from a good rest. I'm far from the best shot I know, but don't think Id really need more that 8x.

The way I see it is if you have the magnification and a stable rest use it. Different story off of sticks, a rock, branch etc.the average vervet is maybe 2kg. If I can see more of him in my sight picture, I’m happy to crank the scope up to 16 or 18.

Rest and knowing all the data to dope the shot is second to knowing when you shouldn't take the shot and having the sense not to take it.

But, at least for me, anything over 4x and I'm in the game. 4x on and Moose at 600 yards is not as hard as 16x on a speed goat at 600 yards. Lots of room for error on the Moose's vitals.

Himm lot of money getting chucked out there.
Sightron S8 5-40 FFP will do you for those 800y shots. Not that Id use that for game but paper and gongs sure!

49oz sort of defeats the purpose of the OPs first post........

I would be curious what you decide on and what your ultimate priorities are. Please let us know! Obviously, we all have our preferences, and we should choose what feels most intuitive and gives us confidence. For me, if I want a light rifle scope and am shooting (rarely) 800 yard max, I thinking dial down the objective and magnification quite a bit.

Honestly I don't think what I'm looking for really exists. The trade for weight takes away from the elevation, illumination and parallax requirements.

I may have a QD scope, for certain a load, where I'm not concerned about distance past 500 yards and most shots will be 350 and less. At that point I could get a 15oz scope, w/5 mil and some light rings and meet the goal.

Reactions: WAB

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.35.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.35.51 AM.png
    701.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.35.52 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.35.52 AM.png
    808.5 KB · Views: 44
Dug an older scope out of the "odds'n'sods" drawer; Japanese 2.5 -16X 50AO Bushnell Elite 6500 (w/ duplex reticle).Weighs 25 oz with steel rings; maybe a little heavy, going on a 300 Mag ...

I have a very lightweight Kimber 308. I use a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42. It is 22 oz, which is 2 oz over what i really wanted but the durability and reliability is important and worth it.

I think Nightforce has a couple good scopes that are kind of close to what the OP was looking for. Just depends on priorities. I like the idea of two scopes with QD rings, but I am guessing if weight is prioritized, might have to skip the 1 piece picatinny and find some sort of ultralight bases/ rings to get anywhere close to the goal weight. I have no experience with any of the ultralight (Aluminum, titanium?) but not sure any QD will be light enough to reach that goal. I see myself going down this road in the not too distant future, so curiously watching this thread/ outcome.

Yeah, I don't think that exists. A NF 2-10x offers a lot at 20oz and is worth considering.

Attachments

Look at the Swarovski Z5 or Z5i 3.5-18x44. The Z5 weighs in at 15.9oz and the Z5i 17.4oz. I have a Z5i on a 6.5Wby RPM and a Blaser K95 in 6.5x55. The Z5i has become my favored rifle scope.

I really don’t see how you can get a better scope for the OP’s requirements. And if you really want an exposed vertical turret, there are companies making them aftermarket specifically to your rifle’s ballistics. Or just learn the fantastic BRH or BRX reticule.

I have 3 of VXHD 3-15x44 that i use for hunting longer ranges on some 6.5’s. I love them and would buy 3 more tomorrow if i could afford to have them on all my rifles.

I have 3 of VXHD 3-15x44 that i use for hunting longer ranges on some 6.5’s. I love them and would buy 3 more tomorrow if i could afford to have them on all my rifles.

I have one on a .325. It is certainly a good scope. For me it proved to be an entry level drug in the LR game that led to a Mark V 3.6-18x44.

They are also great scopes and good value for money Rudi. I’m going to give you a call tomorrow about that Eastern Cape price-list for next year.

Vortex HD LHT 4.5x22 comes in at 21.7oz Vortx pro rings 1.6oz.

That a total of 23.3oz.

That is about as light as I would be willing to go. What you have will work just fine. Up to you on how far you want to chase that rabbit.

One thing I find myself asking, if I spend $xxx to save a few oz. Would I be willing to carry those few oz on my trip for the same amount of money. Just a different way to look at something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia