Leupold or Swarovski

M70375!

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm thinking about upgrading my 1x6 Leupold to a 1.7x10x42 Swarovski. I have never had a Swarovski rifle scope , do you guys think it is worth the cost to upgrade, I like the Leopuld but not happy with the illumination. Is there a noticeable difference in clarity between the two?
Thanks

Depends a lot on the exact scope. Both brands have excellent products. Maybe take the rifle to a store where you can compare both side-by-side. A good shop will let you take them outside for a try.

One bit of warning……, I “upgraded” a scope once and by rotten luck got a scope that wouldn’t hold zero. This was the source of many frustrating range sessions and probably cost me a wounded & lost waterbuck. Sometimes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Depends a lot on the exact scope. Both brands have excellent products. Maybe take the rifle to a store where you can compare both side-by-side. A good shop will let you take them outside for a try.

One bit of warning……, I “upgraded” a scope once and by rotten luck got a scope that wouldn’t hold zero. This was the source of many frustrating range sessions and probably cost me a wounded & lost waterbuck. Sometimes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
yeah, you are probably right about not fixing it if it's not broken

Clarity is much better on the Swarovski. Some people say Leupold is a more rugged scope. I can only speak from my own experience, and 5x Swarovskis have never let me down. One on a .416, one on a .375 and one z5 3,5-18-44 on a camp .308.

I have a very reliable Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 and it is a superb scope for the money with very effective illlumination

I've held both and it's not even close. I have three Swaro Z8i scopes because of it and one of them is the Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 with 4A-IF reticle. Both my wife and I compared the top scopes from Leica, Swaro, Zeiss, S&B and Leupold at Euro Optic. At any one time I believe we had close to $10K worth of scopes or binos in the parking lot doing the comparison. Ended up spending the entire day there. For scopes, it came down to the Leica and Swaro with the Swaro winning by the factor of the reticle and true to color factors.

The Leupold (VX-6HD) and S&B scopes were taken out of contention pretty early in the evaluation. The clarity and light transmission in the waining hours of daylight made it clear that the top German scope companies charge a premium for a reason. We chose Swaro because of the reticle and how true the colors looked vs Zeiss and Leica.

If you can afford the Z8i series, I'd highly recommend at least taking a look. Just understand that your bank account may pay the price for your decision. There is no way to "unsee" what you may have just seen.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about upgrading my 1x6 Leupold to a 1.7x10x42 Swarovski. I have never had a Swarovski rifle scope , do you guys think it is worth the cost to upgrade, I like the Leopuld but not happy with the illumination. Is there a noticeable difference in clarity between the two?
Thanks
Take a look at the NightForce NX8 1-8x24 if you want something more durable.

I suppose it depends on how deep your pockets are. For me at least. I see the need for better clarity and low light gathering in the states hunting whitetail or elk / mule deer in the Rockies. I haven’t seen the need in Africa. That’s just me.

My scopes have been just fine there. Dead is dead. :cool:

Not just a plug for a scope I happen to be selling, but a testament to the quality of another scope brand Meopta. Illumination in scopes vary by a significant amount. The only two I find that are truly daylight bright are Swarovski and the Me opt a R2 meostar. Bright enough for use during full sun. The dot stands out so much it really draws your eye. The 1.7-10X42 is what I have for sale in the classifieds. But they offer others too. Very rugged scopes and half the price of the Swaro.

I have many Leupold scopes and have never had a problem. My best friend has a Swarovski and it has never given him problems.

I think Leupold scopes are more rugged, but the Swarovski has better glass.

If you want really want a bombproof scope that will almost always hold zero, get a NightForce or Trijicon.

I think Leupold is good but Swarovski are a step up. Daytime there is a little difference but in low light you will see how they actually perform. If you can, try to find someone near you who would be willing to check out the scopes side by side at very last light / dark hours to see if the difference is worth the $ to you

I have several Leupold from the VX3 line and up. I have never had a problem with any of them mounted all the way up to .416 Ruger. I was able to buy a reduced price Swarovski here on AH a couple years ago. The difference is small but noticeable. You should buy the best optics you can afford, and buy them once. I am at the point where I will purchase Swaro from now on should I ever need another scope.

Swarovski will be better but for durability, look at the nightforce 1-8. Its illumination is very bright too. On 1x it’s like a aimpoint red dot.

If it is a scope only for hunting in Africa, then a Leupold will work great.
If you need a scope that will be the best you can find at first and last light, the Swarovski.

When you are looking though your scope at a nice buck in low light and can clearly see the antlers, and your buddy next to you can’t, you will be thankful for the upgrade to a Swarovski.

I will add, if you are setting up a nice PG gun with top end glass, you will gravitate to only using that rifle when back home.

Thanks
I think you just opened a can of worms.

My only Swarovski is the older model Habicht.
I can recall a time I was dissatisfied with a Leupold Vxll in a spotlight.
I can recall a time I was suitably impressed with my Zeiss Diavari in low light
My Leupold Vx3 seems pretty good. Lightweight, and solid.
I think Meopta are clear.
I want an S&B PMll
Nightforce are bullet proof.

I think @Badboymelvin recently said Leupold have never failed him.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen will chime in for Meopta

@BeeMaa is talking about z8 Swarovski so that’s better glass than the z3.

Z3 has 2 erector springs and some say it’s questionable where the z5 and above have 4 erector springs as well as different zoom range.

Leupold is probably a good balance between price and reliability.

If you have the coin go with the SWARO. Not sure why but I think they are heirloom items as well. I’m thinking about adding the 1.7 x 13..3 z8i myself to the collection.

What rifle are you putting it on?
As said above if it’s something with a bit of push back then Leupold would be my choice.
If it’s ya manbun creedmoor then I’d find a mirror take a good hard look at yourself and take up knitting :A Stirring::ROFLMAO: our trade the rifle(y)

I have the Z6 non illuminated and have found it to be an excellent scope.This past year have used it on the 6.5 for fallow hunting and also mounted it on the 9.3 for a trip to an area where the low power came into its own. Field of view is excellent. I have come to see this scope as one of the most versatile scopes that I have owned. You won't be disappointed.

Another vote for the Swarovski, I have at least a dozen or so of them, I have hunted some of them real hard in rugged terrain, often in a constant wet environment. They have never lost zero other than the one where I slipped on a wet slimy boulder in a river and landed on the scope, it was an 1980's model with a steel body, still has the dent in the front housing but works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brandonligon

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa