DG870

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA ( NE, SD, CO, WY, OK, TX)
A friend of mine gave me 3 boxes of old Nosler Partition bullets, 130 grain .270 Winchester. I’ve reloaded 20 of them working up a load and just reloaded another 20 with 58 grains of H4831 SC, the best load from my testing.

Just wondering if anyone that had used these before had any suggestions on using these bullets. The surface of the bullets seem rougher than the gliding metal on the newer bullets. I’ve been shooting them in a Weatherby Mk V lightweight synthetic (yes, it’s a 270 Winchester not Weatherby). This rifle is sub MOA with 140 grain Hornady SSTs but the best I can get with these bullets is 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. I know that this is plenty good enough to kill a deer but I’m trying to get the best out of it. Right now I’m cleaning the barrel down to bare metal, stripping some remaining copper fouling. I’m wondering if this will help. I don’t know if these bullets are behaving similar to the mono metals following gliding metal bullets. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

IMG_1967.jpeg

I cannot say anything special about this type of bullet because I have never used Nosler Partrition bullets, but I have often loaded old bullets of different calibers for shooting and also for hunting. The surface oxidation of the metal never bothered me, but one have to test the loads and not only take data from reloads with the same bullets from current production. A big difference can be in the hardness of the jackets because there are certainly differences in the alloys over the decades.

Send them down range.
If they shoot well, bonus!

I recently developed a load with older Partitions and they’ve performed as good as new bullets.
I took care of the oxidation with a product called Never Dull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AugustusBr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa