Let's talk Ibex hunting

I'm pretty sure he is very much alive. But his businesses had a rough go of it. I will leave it at that.
Ah now I see. Looks like his name is well known in the outfitter world and he scammed some people out of big money for some of his asian hunts. Also seeing poaching convinctions in Canada.

Lots of drama.

Honestly, if you are concerned about price creep, I would book a North America mountain goat hunt immediately. They seem to be sky rocketing in price.
Mtn goats are a whole subject as you say...I drew the Kodiak tag after 3 years and couldn't go!

Oh man!!! That is heart breaking!
The rest of that story is I ended up on a cancellation leopard hunt…didn’t get the cat but got a 50# ele, 42” eland, 6” duiker, old kudu, zebra and a dozen impala for bait.

I’ve done Tajikistan twice. Amazing adventure hunts. The scenery from Dushanbe to the hunt area in the Pamirs is worth the price of admission (and you will see the Taliban on the other side of the river). It’s really hard to put into words how amazing that part of the world is unless you’ve been there.

IMG_8291.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg
IMG_8202.jpeg
IMG_8281.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
To your point. Sheep prices have gone crazy. Ibex are still very reasonable.

To help justify your cost. The 2024 Colorado and New Mexico governors Bighorn sheep tags auction at $600k each.

Has anyone drawn and hunted the New Mexico Ibex

Looks like sheep hunting really is a rich man's game. Sheep hunts costs what I used to believe elephant hunts costs (before joining this site).

I think I'll stick to the goat and capra species.

To your point. Sheep prices have gone crazy. Ibex are still very reasonable.

To help justify your cost. The 2024 Colorado and New Mexico governors Bighorn sheep tags auction at $600k each.

Has anyone drawn and hunted the New Mexico Ibex
That Florida mountain ibex tag is tough odds...around .1% for rifle any sex permit, which is once in a lifetime. Archery odds are about 2% and good luck on that hunt, you'll need it! By all accounts, it's a tougher hunt than in Turkey. I've been in those Florida mountains. They are no joke. These are Bezoar ibex of course in NM. I believe the annual success rate on 200 tags issued is around 3%. Many are self-guided, which is kind of nuts. Some of the better guides have success rates around 50%.

Looks like sheep hunting really is a rich man's game. Sheep hunts costs what I used to believe elephant hunts costs (before joining this site).

I think I'll stick to the goat and capra species.
I've heard the saying several times that a sheep hunt costs about the same as a new 1/2 ton pick-up truck. Seems to still be on par with that today.

Hunt cost inflation is a real thing, especially in North America

I've heard the saying several times that a sheep hunt costs about the same as a new 1/2 ton pick-up truck. Seems to still be on par with that today.

Hunt cost inflation is a real thing, especially in North America
The Atchesons always said that phrase about trucks and sheep costs.

I’d love to hunt a sheep one day but with how the prices of even the cheapest NA Dall Sheep are going I think I’ll have to settle for a Marco Polo.

I’d love to hunt a sheep one day but with how the prices of even the cheapest NA Dall Sheep are going I think I’ll have to settle for a Marco Polo.
I was having dinner this week with a friend who is saving and researching for a sheep hunt. I told him I would have a hard time spending that much on a Dall when you can get an argali for that $. Everyone has their own goals of course, and he is going for his Super 10 list, but for Dall sheep $ you can get into massive Gobi argali.

127042624_3485809101509712_5646647053110479061_n.jpg

I was having dinner this week with a friend who is saving and researching for a sheep hunt. I told him I would have a hard time spending that much on a Dall when you can get an argali for that $. Everyone has their own goals of course, and he is going for his Super 10 list, but for Dall sheep $ you can get into massive Gobi argali.

View attachment 628952
Exactly. I’d like to complete the Super 10 as well meaning a domestic sheep is required…but when comparing these two specimens side by side it’s not even close.

Any reason why the Marco Polos are far more affordable than the other Argali’s?

I've wondered the same thing and just sent a booking agent friend that question. He hunts sheep and sells sheep hunts and should have some ideas on it. I have seen Marco Polo sheep hunts around 35k lately. What are you seeing?

I've wondered the same thing and just sent a booking agent friend that question. He hunts sheep and sells sheep hunts and should have some ideas on it. I have seen Marco Polo sheep hunts around 35k lately. What are you seeing?
If we’re talking USD these two hunts are slightly less.

I’ve seen the other Argali like the High Altai go for $100,000+.

They are priced more like a markhor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MHROdell83

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!