Let's See Your Pig And Pig Gun

2011(ish). This is my first wild hog. East TN. Marlin 336, .30-30 Winchester. Dressed @ 99lbs.
1st Boar.jpg

2020's boar. East TN. Marlin 1936, .30-30 Winchester. Dressed @ 128lbs.
IMG_4685.jpg

Several years ago in SW FL. Best of the West 7mm Rem Mag, Dressed @ 83lbs. Initially shot a big sow behind the shoulder. When she ran off with the shot, my friend instructed me to drop them on the spot by shooting them in the head. When I asked why, the question answered itself. We heard a splash, a squeal, and lots more splashing. Those FL boys drop them with head shots so that they don't run off...because when they hit the water, the alligators get them.
IMG-20180323-WA0000.jpg

No recent pig pics.. the last one I took was March 2020... I've got another group pig hunt scheduled the first week of March of this year.. Im hoping to take a few with the rifles mentioned in my earlier post..

On the left is the DIY .458 SOCOM... Its a random assortment of parts... but has a drop in 3lb trigger and will keep about 1.5MOA with factory 300gr loads.. Its topped with a Sightmark Wraith Day/Night scope and a sniperhog high output IR light. 10 rounds of .458, 300gr projectiles flying at about 1950 fps should put the scunion on some hogs if I am fortunate enough to catch a sounder near a feeder..

On the right is a DIY .350 Legend.. also a random assortment of parts.. also a 3lb drop in trigger.. also keeps about 1.5 MOA with factory ammo.. No thermal or NV on this one.. but it does have an extreme high output green light on it that Ive used with success on other hog hunts.. its topped with a RITON 3-9x40 30mm optic with an illuminated reticle.. its benefit over the 458 is higher capacity (20 and 30 round mags as opposed to a max of 10 with the 458) and significantly less recoil (the 458 is comparable to rapid firing a trapdoor 45-70... the 350 legend is more like rapid firing a light loaded .243).. Im figuring the ability to throw 30 rounds of 180 gr 35 caliber projectiles at about 2100 fps should be pretty effective on a sounder if I catch one out during daylight hours with the 350 legend rig :)

IMG_0085.jpg

"How come you didn't use one of your double rifles on that pig? Most of the photos I've seen on here with you and your harvested game, have a double rifle in the photo. Just curious?"

Truth is, I was just going to shoot eating size pigs that day until the rancher mentioned that he had seen a sounder of hogs just inside the trophy pasture (usually for hunting boars with dogs) anbd we could hunt there is we liked. Curiosity got the best of a couple of us and we walked over to check it out. One buddy and I eased up a slight incline to see what was in a field and there were many hogs. He shot one stirred up the mob and then out walked the biggest hog I had seen on the ranch. Just could not pass it up! The staff rolled the dead hog into a tractor front end loader and hauled it back to the cleaning area.

WRT use of double rifles - I have broken in/blooded two doubles on boars on that property, and taken Nilgai, red deer, etc with doubles elsewhere in Texas..

This is my 3rd Texas hog, my first 2 where an unintentional double but I didn't take pictures of them. This was my 1st hog hunt and I used my trusty Ruger #1 in 30-06 and a Federal 180grn TBT bullet.

210lb Boar.jpg

Dad and I have taken a lot of hogs since then, I'll post a few more pics later.

How Boaring! Your post reminds me of just how many boars we've taken over the years...most opportunistically with a .264 WSM while hunting deer or plains game, but my son's first 13 yrs ago using a low-po .30-30 (good placement but required extra shots to put it down!) Piles of 'em taken at friend's ranches in the Hill Country (mostly for grilling that eve,) but the pic featuring the two boys (my son and a friend's son is especially memorable as the latter passed away in a tragic UTV accident.) They literally climbed up a mountain, shot the hog and carried it down (30-06.) We used to test out new gun/handloads on boars (somewhere are old pics of three we shot using a .375 HH, .458 WM and .350 Rem. Mag.) The one hanging was in FL using a .41 Mag S&W revolver (good eating as they root the citrus groves, a la the warthog in Zim.) The highway shoulders in Namib are loaded with warthog at night-quite the collision hazard!!! And, of course, the only Boar native to PA (my area is loaded w/ 'em!) taken with a 7mm Rem SAUM. 'Took a nice one earlier w/ the .300 WM. I am also reminded that I passed up a HUGE reddish bush hog in Zim while buffalo hunting just a couple years ago. 'Snuck to within 10 yds with my .416 (it was sleeping in a shady bush along the Save River,) but I was so intent on getting that buff. Targets of opportunity should be taken!! We returned to the area after we got our buff and no trace....The largest boar(s) ever seen were in the wooded swamps of SC between the plantations and Savannah River. I'll have to find a pic of the "Hogzilla" someone took while we were deer hunting.

021807 038.jpg
072907SAZim2 127.jpg
boar-richter 12-22-01.jpg
DSCN0155 (2).JPG
1224123112 011.jpg
IMG_20190129_125712516~2.jpg
IMG_20171202_100205173.jpg

Last edited:
@Red Leg
Unfortunately I am at work, dont have around any photo of my boars.

But I do, of the tool!

It is Benelli argo, 9.3x62. (In USA distributed as Benelli R2, without sights)
In my case, It is fitted with batue open sights, piccatiny, quick release mounts, and meopta R2 1-6x24, with iluminated reticle.
Basically, this set up is my "winter gun" for driven hunts on boar, and occasional stalking for red deer in dense woods, where shooting range is close, rarely more then 100 meters. I describe it as "poor mans double".

Same rifle, for the reason of caliber, and available piccatiny rail, I use in blind in the night, equipped then with Yukon NV - which is also on QD mounts, exclusively for waiting boar.

European boar, (Sus Scrofa) can grow up to 250 kg or more (though, rare, in my area frequently hunted they dont grow too old, so old boars are rare, and when they grow old, they are also smart), but for this reason I stick to 9.3, soft point, 286 grains. Just in case. I keep it zeroed at 100 meters, and it has almost identical point of impact at 50 m.

This rifle is rarely seen on the forum. Few words about it.
ARGO stands for Auto Regulated Gas Operation system. It has exchangable barrels, which can be changed togehter with bolt head. Made in all usual calibers. Locking of bolt is by rotational bolt head, three lugs..
Rifle is easy to field strip, and for maintenance. There are several version of stock, including composite stock, and few lenghts of barrels are optional. All Benelli rifle barrels are crio treated.
Factory ammo S&B gives accuracy of about 1 - 1.5 moa, depending of lot.

BTW, congrats on your hog!

Benelli Argo.JPG

Last edited:
Second pig on my second trip to Texas. Outside of Dripping Springs, 250lb + porker. Used my CZ 550 Fullstock chambered in 6.5x55 Swede. Was wearing a 2-7x30 Leupold VX-R, and was happy for the red dot as the pig was black and it was pretty dark. Used 140gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws at about 120yrds, he dropped like he had been hit by lightning.

Pig 1.JPG
Pig 11.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Second pig on my second trip to Texas. Outside of Dripping Springs, 250lb + porker. Used my CZ 550 Fullstock chambered in 6.5x55 Swede. Was wearing a 2-7x30 Leupold VX-R, and was happy for the red dot as the pig was black and it was pretty dark. Used 140gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws at about 120yrds, he dropped like he had been hit by lightning.
Hope you saved those tusks. The Europeans mount them beautifully.

View attachment 384163View attachment 384164
I used to have that same set up...down to the scope!

Alas, in my backyard there are not wild boars, but a 12-million megacity. Although, by the way, it happens that moose and wild boar wander through the system of forest parks.
In general, Russia is not a hunting paradise. All species are at the limit of survival here due to the cold and deep snow in winter, so, for example, the European deer without feeding is found only in Poland,and to the east it is not.
Therefore, the main hunting for wild boar is from towers on feeding grounds, in a properly organized hunting farm (but wild boars are wild there, there are no fences). The license for this piglet cost about $ 200, and the main task was not to shoot someone adult. Moreover, in some places you can not shoot sows at all, because of their value for reproduction, and it is risky to buy a license for an adult cleaver (about 500$). A good trophy is unlikely, but its meat in the hunting season can have a very unpleasant smell. Once our team got such a boar with its men's perfume, and one of our friends with meat in a backpack made part of the way in the subway, and he was alone in his half of a crowded car. We ate the meat then, in my opinion, but with serious culinary tricks. Those of us who didn't have dogs, of course.

The rifle is a well-deserved Mosin of 1942, war time, made when the Germans were still standing near Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad, so the exterior finish is quite simple, although everything is OK inside. View attachment 384143
Night sight - army, universal, also ancient, like the shit of a mammoth. But it works and can be used as a club when needed.
i have never seen a scope like that on a mosin

Vashper, we call that unpleasant smell "Boar taint" which is generally present in Boars weighing more than 250 Lbs. I've hunted Hogs in Texas and Missouri and used rifles from a 35 cal. Remington to a 35 Whelen. But I've taken the majority of my hogs with a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. My largest hog weighed 430 Lbs. and was a feral sow of some sort.

Last edited:
@Red Leg , seems like sipping a single malt scotch and then busting a hog could develop into a nice nightly routine.
We'll have to continue tomorrow. I just bought a product from the state of kdenn, in a set with two glasses.

I'm to old to go to prison. Stiff penalty in kansas for trying to bring in ferel hogs. They want you to shoot them if on your property but you can not sell a hunt.
Kansas needs to transplant some from Texas. Ha! Ha! In reality, if Kansas had wild hogs, there wouldn’t be a stalk of milo or corn left and thus no pheasants either. They would eat all the silage meant for cattle. It would be an agricultural disaster. Neither Texas or California and maybe other states can control their population.

I love hunting and eating pigs. We head shoot them also in S GA. Don't want to track them through those south Georgia swamps! My brother's hunt club, down near Waycross. 140 lb boar. Shot this one with a 140 grain NBT from my 7-08 at about 110 yrds. DRT.
20200417_202641.jpg

If you're ever hunting in SE Georgia, take your game over to Wainright's Meats in Nahunta. Get the jalapeno chedder sausage. No affiliation, just a very satisfied long-time customer.

My new pig gun. 450 Bushmaster, Silencerco Omega 46 Cal can, Leupy VX5 2-10x42.
pig gun.jpg

Lots of pigs, lots of guns, but these are the two most recent, shot on successive days last month during a drawn hunt on public land in Texas. Oviedo Mauser 93 in the original 7x57.
5A74BA5C-830D-4917-8954-2B83DDC74443.jpeg
28AE1E1D-4ED2-41B4-AA95-87D9CC043ABE.jpeg

A91A8D70-7DED-44B3-8D7A-F3122FF030AD.jpeg
59BE3190-53A9-44F8-9EF5-B408A3828466.jpeg
5F425B96-13E7-4EB2-AA42-F91E4B228011.jpeg
C38B54B0-7EE4-4600-90AA-140738F2EFD7.png
E7C9BA26-31D7-4B51-88C9-8C05727D82E5.jpeg

Excellent shooting , @Red Leg Sir .
Here are two Bengal bush boars , which I had recently shot in 2020 . For hunting Bengal bush boars , I predominantly employ two arms .

1 ) When hunting them by stalking or from a tree blind ( at night and over torchlight ) , I employ my .458 Winchester Magnum . This one was custom built by Flaig’s in Millvale ( Pennsylvania ) on a Winchester Enfield Model 1917 action , with a contoured French walnut stock and a 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel . I prefer 500 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory loads for hunting Bengal bush boars.
2 ) When hunting them during a beat , I tend to use my Laurona 12 bore side-lock ejector . This features double triggers , a semi beavertail fore end , a manual safety and 30 inch barrels ( left barrel = 1/2 choke, right barrel = 1/4 choke ) . I prefer Eley Alphamax LG shells for hunting Bengal bush boars , during beats . But shots should be restricted to ranges below 30 feet , because LG tends to loose it’s potency beyond that range . Of course , this is hardly a concern during a driven hunt .

Last edited:
I used to have that same set up...down to the scope!
It's my magic wand - anything I even remotely wave it at seems to just fall over dead. It is the luckiest rifle and scope combo I have ever owned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buclover79

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron