Leopard with CEB raptor, particularly in 416?

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Starting my prep for my 2026 hunt. I already have pretty much all my gear and load plans nailed down from the last hunt. However, I will be hunting leopard on this one, which I did not do on the last one and have never done before.
I have 2 rifles I'm picking between for the leopard/incidental plains game portion of the hunt. My trusty 416 Rigby from the last trip or a much more "modern" read "tactical" 338 lapua. I hear that fast opening bullets are desired for leopard so has anyone shot a leopard with a CEB Raptor in 416 or would a 350gr speer hot cor soft point be a good choice. Should I just roll with the 400 gr A frame that I used on the last hunt. I killed a hyena at 50yds with it and he never even kicked. I would think for bullet performance purposes a hyena and a leopard are built similarly. I don't see him limping off from a well placed 400 gr A frame. That way I'm also covered for any other DG if I need to use my 416 instead of the double. I'll be running a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 for the leopard. I have QD mounts so I can pop a 1-4x on it later. I hate to bring a gun that is too small for DG in case I have an issue with the double, but I haven't ruled out the lapua.

My wife missed her leopard last month. So unfortunately I can not tell you how the Raptors performed on a big male leopard.

But I used the same rifle on her bait animals. 6 Impala (2 were shot with a .375 &TSX) 8 total

The raptor worked very well on Impala. I’m guessing that the leopard will be dead at the bottom of the tree.

Of course the others will work also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamelMacCu

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?