Leopard Attacks Men At South African Air Force Base

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

A leopard attacked two men at a South African air force base adjacent to Kruger National Park.

One man, an air force member in uniform, was attacked while jogging. The other, a civilian working at the base, encountered the leopard during a walk, according to an air force spokesman.

Screenshot_6.jpg

Similar to CO in the US (w/ Mtn. Lions!) They must prefer seasonings.? That predator-prey response is hard not to trigger (once the prey is running.) Early/late in the day (not in full light phase?) Run w/ a gun in Africa.

Pictures taken beside and behind that very air force base morning of April 12 female (or so said the PH) in grass (the camera was focusing on the grass). April 14 just after sunset, big male walking outside the fence in the road ditch beside the base. He kept testing the fence trying get in. And possibly the same big male strolling down the road behind the base the next morning April 15th. This was all in 2015 when they were debating closing leopard hunting. I sent these pictures to our outfitter because he was collecting proof that there was a very healthy leopard population and no scientific reason to close hunting of them.

When we spotted that female, the PH was beside himself. He said you NEVER see a leopard in the daytime. Then we saw that Tom 2 nights later. And then the next morning that big Tom just strolling along in front of us on the road with out a care in the World.... The PH was absolutely beside himself! He kept saying "I know I told you that we never see leopard in the daylight and now here is a second one in 3 days!!! But honestly, we NEVER see this!!!" Obviously a sign of a very healthy leopard population.

@Justbryan I have also seen at least one leopard on every night hunt with Bossie. There are a lot in RSA ;)
Young Leopard in grass daylight Sprear April.JPG
Leopard Spear.JPG
Leopard 2 Spear.JPG

I wonder how the discontinuing of leopard permits in SA has affected the behavior of leopards. Last year I saw several leopards while night hunting which I had never seen before.
It has had the same effect as the moratorium and later ban on mtn lion hunting had in california numbers exploded and they lost there fear of man.

Lon

I wonder how the discontinuing of leopard permits in SA has affected the behavior of leopards. Last year I saw several leopards while night hunting which I had never seen before.
And the effects on population!

Pictures taken beside and behind that very air force base morning of April 12 female (or so said the PH) in grass (the camera was focusing on the grass). April 14 just after sunset, big male walking outside the fence in the road ditch beside the base. He kept testing the fence trying get in. And possibly the same big male strolling down the road behind the base the next morning April 15th. This was all in 2015 when they were debating closing leopard hunting. I sent these pictures to our outfitter because he was collecting proof that there was a very healthy leopard population and no scientific reason to close hunting of them.

When we spotted that female, the PH was beside himself. He said you NEVER see a leopard in the daytime. Then we saw that Tom 2 nights later. And then the next morning that big Tom just strolling along in front of us on the road with out a care in the World.... The PH was absolutely beside himself! He kept saying "I know I told you that we never see leopard in the daylight and now here is a second one in 3 days!!! But honestly, we NEVER see this!!!" Obviously a sign of a very healthy leopard population.

@Justbryan I have also seen at least one leopard on every night hunt with Bossie. There are a lot in RSA ;) View attachment 626183View attachment 626184View attachment 626185
We saw a fair amount of leopard across the chobe river from Namibia in the Botswana national Park hunting in daylight hours regularly. I'm guessing they simply feel safe there and can live however they wish although traditionally cats really come alive in the dark!

Unfortunately a lot of leopards in RSA are being killed by the ranchers because they are trying to protect their livestock and they have no monetary value for them as hunting is not allowed.
I was there close to two months and heard it time and time again everywhere I went.

A leopard attacked two men at a South African air force base adjacent to Kruger National Park.

One man, an air force member in uniform, was attacked while jogging. The other, a civilian working at the base, encountered the leopard during a walk, according to an air force spokesman.

View attachment 626175
Makes me wonder why if the cat had lost its fear of humans and attacked two men, it was captured and relocated rather than shot and killed. Relocating problem animals to areas that already have a population of those same animals never works out. In the US it has been demonstrated many times with deer and black bears, yet we still do it to appease the public that never learns. Looks like Disney has invaded Africa as well as NA.

We saw a fair amount of leopard across the chobe river from Namibia in the Botswana national Park hunting in daylight hours regularly. I'm guessing they simply feel safe there and can live however they wish although traditionally cats really come alive in the dark!
Yes that's the case in Kruger as well. Those cats, hyena, etc. are so adapted to humans in cages looking at them that it is normal to them. We recently saw a cheetah, leopard, couple lionesses, and lots of hyena within feet of our truck in Kruger.

BTW, when I took the abovw pictures behind the air force base, leopard hunting was still alive and well in RSA. Just so damned many of them in that area!

Why would they go through all the trouble of trapping to relocate only 62 miles away? Wouldn't the cat make his way back in a couple nights if he wanted to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NonaWindso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe