Leopard Attacks Men At South African Air Force Base

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

A leopard attacked two men at a South African air force base adjacent to Kruger National Park.

One man, an air force member in uniform, was attacked while jogging. The other, a civilian working at the base, encountered the leopard during a walk, according to an air force spokesman.

Screenshot_6.jpg

Similar to CO in the US (w/ Mtn. Lions!) They must prefer seasonings.? That predator-prey response is hard not to trigger (once the prey is running.) Early/late in the day (not in full light phase?) Run w/ a gun in Africa.

Pictures taken beside and behind that very air force base morning of April 12 female (or so said the PH) in grass (the camera was focusing on the grass). April 14 just after sunset, big male walking outside the fence in the road ditch beside the base. He kept testing the fence trying get in. And possibly the same big male strolling down the road behind the base the next morning April 15th. This was all in 2015 when they were debating closing leopard hunting. I sent these pictures to our outfitter because he was collecting proof that there was a very healthy leopard population and no scientific reason to close hunting of them.

When we spotted that female, the PH was beside himself. He said you NEVER see a leopard in the daytime. Then we saw that Tom 2 nights later. And then the next morning that big Tom just strolling along in front of us on the road with out a care in the World.... The PH was absolutely beside himself! He kept saying "I know I told you that we never see leopard in the daylight and now here is a second one in 3 days!!! But honestly, we NEVER see this!!!" Obviously a sign of a very healthy leopard population.

@Justbryan I have also seen at least one leopard on every night hunt with Bossie. There are a lot in RSA ;)
Young Leopard in grass daylight Sprear April.JPG
Leopard Spear.JPG
Leopard 2 Spear.JPG

I wonder how the discontinuing of leopard permits in SA has affected the behavior of leopards. Last year I saw several leopards while night hunting which I had never seen before.
It has had the same effect as the moratorium and later ban on mtn lion hunting had in california numbers exploded and they lost there fear of man.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vbert6363

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe