Lee-Speed...Finally

Rubi_300

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Freemasons, Safari Club International, O.G.C.A.
It's been quiet the minute since I've posted but nonetheless Africa is still on my mind everyday...2025 is approaching quickly!

After falling in love with the Lee-speed rifles my time has finally come to have one of my own. I might be jumping the gun on this post but figured I needed to share some excitement with others who will appreciate this fine rifle. Hoping to have it to my FFL within a week and can't wait to experience it in person.

I bought this in an auction and these are the only pictures I have so far. More pics to follow when I get this in my hands!

Does anyone have any information about the Alex Henry & Co markings on the barrel? I found general information online regarding his contributions to firearms but nothing too in depth. Does anyone have any idea how I can accurately date this rifle?
Screenshot 2024-06-24 223502.png
Screenshot 2024-06-24 223448.png
Screenshot 2024-06-24 223647.png

I would like to congratulate you on your magnificent purchase...she is gorgeous!!

I love Lee Speeds they are my favourite bolt-gun bar none and the only rifle to surpass the Model 70 in my affections. As a plains-game rifle, the 303 calibre has a proven pedigree and if the barrel is good enough, I would not hesitate to take it on safari.

I have a poor man's Lee Speed built on a 1900 Lee Enfield 1* by BSA. The date and manufacturer details were on the wrist strap underneath the bolt handle and yours may have something there as well. Cannot see it in the pictures, but I am sure you will go over it with a fine-tooth comb when it's in your hot little hands.

Thank you for posting this and looking forward to more photos when you can.

Very nice rifle!
Alex Henry was one of the premier gunmakers in the UK and probably the best in Scotland.
In fact, I place Henry rifles at the top of the heap in overall quality.
The Lee Speed was introduced after his death so this gun was worked over by the firm under his son's direction.

A. Henry may have simply retailed this rifle. It was quite common for gunmakers to take a factory Lee Speed (or Mauser etc.) and add their touches - sights, scope, cheek piece stock etc. - and engrave the barrel with their name and address.
Often, just add their name and address and sell it on as-is.
This will likely be proofed for the 215gr bullets but I've found most 303s will shoot just fine with the more available 174 or 180gr bullets - mine sure did!

Your only real challenge, assuming the bore is good, is finding the correct scope rings. Show us what the mounts look like when you get it in hand.

Nice rifle. I quite like the Lee Speeds, friend has one in 22/303 which we haven’t been able to work out if it’s original or rebarreled a long time ago by the factory, as all the makers marks are there. And the chamber cast is different to the 3 types of 22/303 that we know of.
when you get it post some more pictures
gumpy

They are special things. @Huvius has it correct. These rifles were essentially marketed by various gunmakers, perhaps with a bit of proprietary customization. For instance, mine was sold by Jeffery and is essentially identical to yours. They were intended to be used with open sights, and I have yet to see one abused with a scope and rings.

W.J. Jeffery .303 Rifle

I would like to congratulate you on your magnificent purchase...she is gorgeous!!

I love Lee Speeds they are my favourite bolt-gun bar none and the only rifle to surpass the Model 70 in my affections. As a plains-game rifle, the 303 calibre has a proven pedigree and if the barrel is good enough, I would not hesitate to take it on safari.

I have a poor man's Lee Speed built on a 1900 Lee Enfield 1* by BSA. The date and manufacturer details were on the wrist strap underneath the bolt handle and yours may have something there as well. Cannot see it in the pictures, but I am sure you will go over it with a fine-tooth comb when it's in your hot little hands.

Thank you for posting this and looking forward to more photos when you can.
Me too - I love them in the trusty old 303 .

I have a real soft spot for Lee Speed rifles . Five or ten shot magazines in the trusty 303 . In Australia we all grew up shooting Lee Enfield No1 Mk 3 military surplus rifles in 303 . But the Lee Speeds were far classier rifles often retailed by great British gun makers . I have this very old BSA&M branded Pattern No1 rifle made in 1897 . A very nice rifle with full length rib , express and ladder sights , magazine cut off , optional 10 shot magazine , trap in butt with cleaning equipment , tasteful engraving . Great wood with a gold escutcheon in the stock . Of note it uses the Lee Metford Mk II action which has no safety fitted ! It shoots 215 grain bullets at 2050 fps accurately . It is shown in pics below . I also purchased an Army&Navy branded Lee Speed Pattern No1 at auction - awaiting Police permit - another lovely 303 . Will post pics once I have it .

Attachments

• IMG_2404.jpeg
    IMG_2404.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Nice pick up you have there !

Is it a .303 Brit as it has the Magazine shape of a .375Ex or 8mm ?

Also I see it has been fitted with a scope at some stage, do you have access to it, that is why the Dust Cover is missing, it would have been engraved, sometimes with more information.

Will be great to see more pics when you get her in your hands !

Last edited:
The rifle in pics is a 303. The Knox form has the full length rib faired into it with the BSA logo stamped in . I forgot to mention the A&N rifle has a shotgun type safety . Both have Metford rifling . Barrels are good on both .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BaileyPoir

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]