Lee Factory Crimp Die for .470 NE

I do not shoot double rifles. That said, when both chambers are loaded and the first round is fired the remaining round is buffeted by the recoil and this COULD result in the entire cartridge moving slightly forward (through inertia) or the heavy bullet moving rearward in the cartridge neck.

I DO crimp all rifle rounds from .25 caliber up. I definitely think that crimping (with the Lee FCD) makes a better round and helps to maintain even neck tension, which positively effects precision.

When using the Lee FCD you do not need to 'crush' down the press lever. In fact it does not take much downward pressure - maybe 3 to 5 lbs. for most calibers. Try to be consistent.

Crimping is easy, cheap and helps avoid potential problems in the field.

To that point, I learned something from @Wahoo (he's having a great safari as I write this) about the crimping considerations. He tried literally every 470NE and 375HH bullet known to man because he's that kinda guy. He was looking at SAAMI/CIP specs and then testing them for feed function in his rifles. What he found on more than a few of both calibers is that the cannelures or driving bands do not line-up within the required Over All Length (COAL) to be within spec. That is a pretty good reason for a factory crimp die, because you may not be gripping a cannelure and you'll appreciate that extra neck tension in that case especially.

I do not shoot double rifles. That said, when both chambers are loaded and the first round is fired the remaining round is buffeted by the recoil and this COULD result in the entire cartridge moving slightly forward (through inertia) or the heavy bullet moving rearward in the cartridge neck.

I DO crimp all rifle rounds from .25 caliber up. I definitely think that crimping (with the Lee FCD) makes a better round and helps to maintain even neck tension, which positively effects precision.

When using the Lee FCD you do not need to 'crush' down the press lever. In fact it does not take much downward pressure - maybe 3 to 5 lbs. for most calibers. Try to be consistent.

Crimping is easy, cheap and helps avoid potential problems in the field.
I completely agree with you! I now crimp everything to avoid any potential problems

To the second point of your question, it was about COAL with various types of bullets. That’s harder if you want a wide variety of bullets.
So, this begs the question, will the Lee Trim die work the same for different COAL settings? I understand you have to send them a blank, but what if you want to use a different bullet that is of a different size (same calibre of course)?

So, this begs the question, will the Lee Trim die work the same for different COAL settings? I understand you have to send them a blank, but what if you want to use a different bullet that is of a different size (same calibre of course)?

Really good question, not sure. What I do know is if you want a factory crimp die for a normal caliber like 375HH, they just send you one for about $15. When you ask for a custom caliber like 470NE, they want you to send a piece of fired brass, treating it like a wildcat.

In reality, would the factory crimp die custom made for one reader work perfect on every other person's 470NE built in the modern era that uses modern brass? Probably. Speculation: maybe Lee got burned a few times with oddball British calibers using oddball Bell, Bertram, Jamison brass that was thicker/thinner than Federal/Hornady/Norma.

Really good question, not sure. What I do know is if you want a factory crimp die for a normal caliber like 375HH, they just send you one for about $15. When you ask for a custom caliber like 470NE, they want you to send a piece of fired brass, treating it like a wildcat.

In reality, would the factory crimp die custom made for one reader work perfect on every other person's 470NE built in the modern era that uses modern brass? Probably. Speculation: maybe Lee got burned a few times with oddball British calibers using oddball Bell, Bertram, Jamison brass that was thicker/thinner than Federal/Hornady/Norma.
I asked this very question before I ordered my custom 470 crimp die “since my friends on AH have already done this with you can’t you just send me the same thing?”. There answer is we treat every order as just that, custom no matter how many other 470 crimp dies we have made. I gave them my order paid my $41 inclusive of their shipping to me sent them two loaded rounds no primers or powder in case they screwed on up and will have it to me in 3-4 weeks although they say 8 weeks

I asked this very question before I ordered my custom 470 crimp die “since my friends on AH have already done this with you can’t you just send me the same thing?”. There answer is we treat every order as just that, custom no matter how many other 470 crimp dies we have made. I gave them my order paid my $41 inclusive of their shipping to me sent them two loaded rounds no primers or powder in case they screwed on up and will have it to me in 3-4 weeks although they say 8 weeks

Every time I deal with Lee Precision they make an outrageous claim of 3 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks. Every time I check the mailbox 7-10 days later, there it is. One of those under promise and over deliver companies.

I'm way too lazy to send them brass or rounds and wait for a reply. I might call and ask them to send me a copy of your custom die as-is. I'll take the risk of a paperweight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KieraAtkin

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?