Large Botswana Bull

M70375!

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My first trip to Africa, I got this 64 ¾ pounder on the second day of the hunt. Then hunted for a second bull, had some exciting stalks and passed one bull, but as luck would have it, I had a sleepless night and was very tired the next day and I got heat stroke that day in the 100 degree heat. I could not recover, so unfortunately I came home 5 days early and still feel crappy.
Any thoughts on recovery or lingering effects of heat stroke?

Congrats on a very fine bull.
See a doctor on the heat stroke to make sure there was no lasting damage.

Thank you, did the picture load, I don't see it anywhere. Yes I saw the doc, he couldn't find anything wrong, but I still feel weak and tired, just crappy, going to take it easy for the next month before I try my exercise routine again, need to recover for my next hunt

Thank you, did the picture load, I don't see it anywhere. Yes I saw the doc, he couldn't find anything wrong, but I still feel weak and tired, just crappy, going to take it easy for the next month before I try my exercise routine again, need to recover for my next hunt
The jet lag is probably not helping.

Did you get the chills? I've overheated so bad a few times just working that I got cold chills. Time to get cooled off. Drink water, electrolytes, rest. I've always recovered pretty quickly. O definitely know it when it happens. My dad had to go in to the doctor one day from working in a hay mow... they gave him salt pills I think, that was about 50 years ago...

My wife @Just Gina blacked out and collapsed on a too long buffalo stalk in mid day going up mountains in Tanzania. Poured water over her and she came too pretty quickly. Got what water we had into her but that was as close to calling Global Rescue as I care to get.

Long story and she's fine but is more susceptible to heat stroke than she used to be.

For all of us there was no magic pill. Cooling off,, water, electrolytes, and rest.

My first trip to Africa, I got this 64 ¾ pounder on the second day of the hunt. Then hunted for a second bull, had some exciting stalks and passed one bull, but as luck would have it, I had a sleepless night and was very tired the next day and I got heat stroke that day in the 100 degree heat. I could not recover, so unfortunately I came home 5 days early and still feel crappy.
Any thoughts on recovery or lingering effects of heat stroke?
Glad to hear you are ok. Heat stroke can kill you. It can also take a lot out of you. Your picture did not load!

The jet lag is probably not helping.

Did you get the chills? I've overheated so bad a few times just working that I got cold chills. Time to get cooled off. Drink water, electrolytes, rest. I've always recovered pretty quickly. O definitely know it when it happens. My dad had to go in to the doctor one day from working in a hay mow... they gave him salt pills I think, that was about 50 years ago...

My wife @Just Gina blacked out and collapsed on a too long buffalo stalk in mid day going up mountains in Tanzania. Poured water over her and she came too pretty quickly. Got what water we had into her but that was as close to calling Global Rescue as I care to get.

Long story and she's fine but is more susceptible to heat stroke than she used to be.

For all of us there was no magic pill. Cooling off,, water, electrolytes, and rest.
No chills, they poured bottled water on me and fanned me with my hat, had an electrolyte , got back to camp had a shower, not much appetite, ate supper, thought I would be good by morning, but not. About 30 hours later they took me to hosiptal at Arapa mine,they gave me an IV rehydration and some rehydrate packs to take for the next 36 hours, but it only gave me some temporary relief. Still feel weak tired and heat sensitive two weeks later. Doc examined me, stick your tounge out poke you in the gut kind of thing and drew some blood, says all is normal. Sure hope I get back to normal for pheasant season in October.

Glad to hear you are ok. Heat stroke can kill you. It can also take a lot out of you. Your picture did not load!
I have tried to load on Safari and Chrome and had Apple support help me , but I can never get pics to load on this website, frustrating!

Heat stroke is scary. I was on the golf course and a guy at the turn was in bad shape. I went to the restaurant and got a couple bags of ice. Basically packed his groin (femorals) head/neck and under his arm pits with ice. He was responsive by the time EMTs arrived but still had a temp of 102. It had to be much higher initially. I ran into his son perhaps a year later and he said his dad still couldn’t handle the heat. Hope you bounce back soon! Congrats on the bull! Awaiting pictures.

I have tried to load on Safari and Chrome and had Apple support help me , but I can never get pics to load on this website, frustrating!
Had to same problem. Mine issue was that the file sizes were to big. I used a program or website to make the file size smaller. But I forget what I used. But Google and you will get some websites and apps that will do it for you. Worked for me.

Heat stroke is scary. I was on the golf course and a guy at the turn was in bad shape. I went to the restaurant and got a couple bags of ice. Basically packed his groin (femorals) head/neck and under his arm pits with ice. He was responsive by the time EMTs arrived but still had a temp of 102. It had to be much higher initially. I ran into his son perhaps a year later and he said his dad still couldn’t handle the heat. Hope you bounce back soon! Congrats on the bull! Awaiting pictures.
I can never get any pics to load on this dammn site, anyone on WhatsApp ,send me your number and I can send pics and video of kill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaughnHaa

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com