Landrover can do's

P
I'll give free tows to Series III Rovers and earlier models in north Georgia.

I'd waste too much time on anything later.....

View attachment 529777

(not my Cruiser, BTW, but I have two others)

Luv you Kevin, but my two Landys (IIa and III) stayed broken almost all of the time!
Pretty sure that is remote controlled.

I think you are correct.

I just grabbed a picture off the internet.

@bowjijohn
Certainly is a different league to a landy but only just. Toss up the troops is still agricultural but bigger and a slightly better motor. Both slugs on the highway 4 cylinder landy or 1HZ toyo diesel still not as good or reliable as a Nissan TD27 or TD42.. Easy 1,000,000 km motors.
Still not a Nissan.
Bob
To stir things up a bit, I'll try to get a photo of the Landcruiser that's the pride of the fleet, held by the Townsville Toyota dealer; allegedly one of the first brought in for the construction of the Snowy Scheme... beautifully restored, maintained .

I find the Land Cruiser and Land Rover debate quite humorous. I currently own 4 land rovers (110, 109", 88", and LR3). I for the most part agree I need to be aware in my Land Rovers of emerging issues. That said... The most catastrophic failures not reparable on the route have been with Cruisers. Cruisers are reliable until they grenade. Land Rovers required more effort but never have I not been able to limp home. I guess you choose your poison.

I find the Land Cruiser and Land Rover debate quite humorous. I currently own 4 land rovers (110, 109", 88", and LR3). I for the most part agree I need to be aware in my Land Rovers of emerging issues. That said... The most catastrophic failures not reparable on the route have been with Cruisers. Cruisers are reliable until they grenade. Land Rovers required more effort but never have I not been able to limp home. I guess you choose your poison.
They're both desirable. It's a matter of availability and cost really. I wouldn't hesitate to drive either if the price was right.

I don’t find the land rover’s lack of power ,reliability, weak diffs and gear boxes desirable

Especially far from home

They are relatively easy to fix, but not when locals don’t carry parts

To stir things up a bit, I'll try to get a photo of the Landcruiser that's the pride of the fleet, held by the Townsville Toyota dealer; allegedly one of the first brought in for the construction of the Snowy Scheme... beautifully restored, maintained .
@geoff rath
But it was a Nissan Patrol that FIRST conquered the Simpson desert. 4.2l straight 6, 3 speed crash box 4x4 high and low plus 2 wheel drive high and low. Yes 2 wheel drive low range.
Bob

My old '67 IIA 109 from many years ago. Wish I still had it, cant afford one now. Well I could but not willing to shell out what they go for these days!
IMG_2759.JPG

1983 Series 3, last of the line.

IMG_1833.jpeg
55688F63-37A2-4033-A354-01CDC7A8E9E6.jpeg
IMG_1135.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Toyota

My preferred overland vehicle

If you travel the Sahara- use a landy as the locals don’t want it so won’t nick it

Travel in a Land Cruiser or g wagon expect to travel home by bike
If you want to go bush, take a Landrover, if you want to get back again, take a Toyota.
:cool:

If you want to go bush, take a Landrover, if you want to get back again, take a Toyota.
:cool:
@8x60
If you really want to get out in the boonies and beyond and get home again you need a NISSAN. Unstoppable, unbreakable, simple and reasonable comfort. Mine goes places the mate won't take his landcruiser.
Bob

View attachment 528749

Just saying .................. :cool: :A Outta:
a ‘74 model or thereabouts? I drove a 4cyl diesel SWB for a few years, in some pretty wild country. They would go just about anywhere, but not quite as far as a Landrover. However, I never once had to repair a Landcruiser out bush. Where with the Landrovers I always carried a Workshop manual, oil, belts and even axles. Land Rovers are the most unreliable vehicles I’ve ever owned.
I hate to admit this but I’ve owned the below rovers
1966 series 2 LWD 4 cyl petrol.
1971 series 2A 6 cyl petrol
1976 SWB 4 cyl diesel with fairly overdrive
1993 Rover Discovery with V8 petrol. Auto transmission.

They all had a few things in common; oil leaks, unreliable, and a barstard to work on unless you had 3 hands.

I had some great times in them…but I’ll never own another.

Toyota Landcruiser. (y)

@8x60
If you really want to get out in the boonies and beyond and get home again you need a NISSAN. Unstoppable, unbreakable, simple and reasonable comfort. Mine goes places the mate won't take his landcruiser.
Bob
super market car park….or ….Scrape yard?

a ‘74 model or thereabouts? I drove a 4cyl diesel SWB for a few years, in some pretty wild country. They would go just about anywhere, but not quite as far as a Landrover. However, I never once had to repair a Landcruiser out bush. Where with the Landrovers I always carried a Workshop manual, oil, belts and even axles. Land Rovers are the most unreliable vehicles I’ve ever owned.
I hate to admit this but I’ve owned the below rovers
1966 series 2 LWD 4 cyl petrol.
1971 series 2A 6 cyl petrol
1976 SWB 4 cyl diesel with fairly overdrive
1993 Rover Discovery with V8 petrol. Auto transmission.

They all had a few things in common; oil leaks, unreliable, and a barstard to work on unless you had 3 hands.

I had some great times in them…but I’ll never own another.

Toyota Landcruiser. (y)
‘69

Bit of a frankenvehicle - mid seventies power train.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyHud

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?