Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
I'm considering the idea of trading my Krieghoff 500/416 for another Krieghoff in 450, 470 or 500. Lots of ammo, brass and dies included. Gun is in excellent condition and is a good shooter.

PM me with your ideas. Gun is not for sale but for trading potential.

IMG_2944 copy.jpeg

IMG_2711 copy.jpeg

I realize you are not selling, but an approximate value of the gun for trade value would be helpful.

K gun for K gun...roughly equal swaps unless there is a large gap...typical of gun swaps. I will address potential swap interests offline. Just to be clear, I'm not interested in trades that are not K gun double rifles.

I've been doing more hunts with Blasers and Krieghoff with their cocking levers including a recent hunt that I will be posting a report on soon. They have grown on me and I like the safety features. I don't typically hunt buff with doubles as there are too many opportunities that are ideal for scoped guns and I like scoped bolt guns for DG. I'm convinced I've taken more good trophies with optics than I could have with irons. Your mileage may vary.

Regardless, I prefer to use doubles on ele and feel better with a larger gun on close shots. I love hunting with my 416's but would like to get this K gun platform into a little larger caliber specifically for ele. That's my basis for posting this topic.

I've been doing more hunts with Blasers and Krieghoff with their cocking levers including a recent hunt that I will be posting a report on soon. They have grown on me and I like the safety features. I don't typically hunt buff with doubles as there are too many opportunities that are ideal for scoped guns and I like scoped bolt guns for DG. I'm convinced I've taken more good trophies with optics than I could have with irons. Your mileage may vary.

Regardless, I prefer to use doubles on ele and feel better with a larger gun on close shots. I love hunting with my 416's but would like to get this K gun platform into a little larger caliber specifically for ele. That's my basis for posting this topic.

But GC...you can easily scope a K-gun..I did it on my Krieghoff .470...a Leupold with red dot in a quick detchable swing mount (1.25 -4). It works splendidly and if/when in very dense bush, just remove the scope.. Many K-guns come prepared for a swing mount from the factory, ie clients order.

I shot 2 buff recently and took a fast shot on a cow from ca. 60m...I could not have placed that shot that accurate and fast with the irons..

More fun to shoot buffalo with a double rifle.. :Cigar:

You are right of course and I will admit to never having hunted with a double rifle and a scope. I have hunted with one that had a red dot and that was effective. One option I was asked to consider was adding a 2nd set of barrels to this gun. I need to investigate that further. Does anyone have knowledge of costs related to adding a 2nd set of barrels to a Krieghoff? I sent an email to their service Dept asking about it. If I did that, I would consider adding a scope to the 500/416 barrels as suggested here.

Have you thought about adding a set of barrels?

I love the .500/.416. After I shot my first elephant I was in camp talking to my ph about getting a .500. He said “why the he’ll would you do that?? You shoot that rifle great!! You just shot clean through a big ass elephant’s head. What more do you need.”

It got me thinking and I abandoned my search for a heavier caliber. I ended up getting a different k gun in .500/.416 with ejectors. I’m thinking about splurging on a set of shotgun barrels for it just for cheap practice.

I see people shooting .500s pointing up at the sky after the first shot. As you well know you can get back on target quick with the .500/.516. On the flip side, Buzz Charlton, who has shot a pile of elephants with a .416 and a 500, seems to think that the 500grain plus bullets seem to have a noticeably bigger impact on a brain miss. The .416 has better penetration.

I think maybe the only way to get to the bottom of this is to hunt more elephants.

You are right of course and I will admit to never having hunted with a double rifle and a scope. I have hunted with one that had a red dot and that was effective. One option I was asked to consider was adding a 2nd set of barrels to this gun. I need to investigate that further. Does anyone have knowledge of costs related to adding a 2nd set of barrels to a Krieghoff? I sent an email to their service Dept asking about it. If I did that, I would consider adding a scope to the 500/416 barrels as suggested here.
You have to really want them. I paid about $10,500 I believe and waited two years. It should have been just 9 months or so but they sent barrels with extractors and not ejectors as I had requested. Then we started all over.
The advantage for me versus looking to find a used gun or shopping new was that this Kgun is fitted to me and has an Edwards recoil reducer that I had Kreighoff USA install for me.
The rifle still has to be sent off to PA for barrel fitting if you get a new set.
If by some miracle my neck gets better or I have surgery that is successful then we will break out the .470 barrels again!
I HIGHLY recommend the .450/400. I believe it has less recoil than my .375. ( no I'm not crazy!)

Thanks for the reply Philip. Yea that's a lot for a set of barrels. If I was going to do that $, I would rather have another complete gun. I hear you on the 450/400 recoil. Boddington keeps telling me that's the best thing going unless you really are going to specialize in big ivory. I've long thought it would be interesting to have a 450/400 double and then have a scoped Ruger #1 in the same caliber to cover all the shooting scenarios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerleneRus

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt