Badboymelvin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hey,

Do you have a knockabout/ utility rifle?
By that I mean a perfectly functioning - dare l say it boring rifle, but one you don't mind getting a scratch on, or don't mind getting wet... but one you find really, really useful?
Now, for some people all their rifles are knockabout rifles - but not me. I hate scratching, marking or damaging my rifles.
As for knockabout/ utility rifles, I have 2.

These 2 rifles are my constant companions when my son and I go metal detecting, or we go for a wander in the bush, or go fishing or it's pouring down with rain...
And even though l consider them knockabout rifles, it doesn't mean l don't like them... l do. I love them both.

The first is my 'Churchill' Mauser '98 in .243
Even though it's a knockabout/ utility rifle l love it for a few reasons.

Firstly, it is just so light and handy with it's 18" barrel and 3kg weight. I fitted it with the smallest 3-9 scope l could find and it is just an absolute joy to carry in the
field.
It has a M98 action and with 4 in the mag and another 9 in the ammo holder on the stock, l'm all set for the day
Secondly, l love the cartridge. Where l live in Victoria we just don't have the big dangerous game that other parts of Australia do, so the .243 is a really useful cartridge.
If l am not actually hunting just bushwalking, fishing or going metal-detecting l always carry a rifle - just in case, and in my neck of the woods the biggest predator I would encounter would be feral dogs.
My load consisting of a 87gn projectile at 2900fps would be absolutely deadly on predators this size as well as small/ medium deer, and when l'm carrying it l have every confidence l can handle any potential problems l may encounter...
And thirdly l love it because a dear friend gave it to me for my wife and daughter to shoot. It's nice when l'm out with my family and they can have a shot or 2 with it as well.
I will never part with this useful little rifle...

XMT6Tng.jpg

My second knockabout/ utility rifle will be very familiar with a lot of people... it is the venerable SMLE in .303 British.
I bought this for my Dad years ago and when he let his gun licence go, I inherited all his guns... but this was the one I was really happy to get back.
Like so many of these rifles it has been sporterised and fitted with a scope. This particular rifle is fitted with a Japanese made 3-9 Tasco which is actually pretty good.
The dependability and reliability of these rifles needs no elaboration and my SMLE feed, extracts and ejects flawlessly.
My rifle is pretty accurate for a sporterised .303 and averages around 2" at 100m. This is with the budget PPU 180gn ammo and while this may not please the benchrest crowd, I think it is pretty good for an ex-military rifle that is nearly 100 years old.
It is certainly plenty accurate for deer and big game at moderate ranges.
This rifle will get chosen over the .243 if l am doing something with my son or family and am in Sambar country - and the chance that a big stag may just appear from out of nowhere.
As much as l love the .243 the .303 is better suited to deer this size and a 180gn softpoint at 2400fps is nothing to sneeze at.
It may not look it, but my sporterised .303 actually feels pretty light and handy - and when loaded with a full 10 rounds of 180gn ammo in the magazine, l feel extremely confident carrying this rifle while adventuring in the bush.

J65shD3.jpg

So there's my 2 knockabout/ utility rifles.
What are yours?
Would love to hear about them and see a pic or 2...
I just love working rifles!

Russ

Mine is a Tikka T3 CTR ( Compact Tactical Rifle) it was purchased as a work rifle in 7mm-08 on clearance.
Like you the intention is not to knock it around but I am not precious about the Tupperware stock or getting a scratch on it .
It’s stainless and has the 10 round steel magazine. I paid a little more than a sporterised .303 but mounts etc are readily available and it accurate.
With a medium weight 20” barrel it’s been great from a vehicle and slightly heavier than a sporter model so still ok to carry.
I shot a lot of pests with it when I was working in the bush.
Piggy7-08.jpg

A Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe in 7x57mm Mauser
IMG_20240227_162452.jpg

A Remington Model 700 Kevlar Stock Custom in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum
Messenger_creation_EE9E7EAF-AA8D-47B9-8AFF-121EBFDA4320.jpeg

I don't knock any of my firearms about (and am obsessively particular about firearms maintenance). But I have been putting both these rifles through their paces quite extensively for several years now.

Was there ever any question?

Blaser Professional R8 375H&H and 300WM (not shown).
IMG_0091_Original.jpeg

A Mossberg ATR in 243. Bought it for my nephew when he thought he would take up deer hunting.
Another one I carry a lot is a Marlin Model 25 in 22 Mag. This rifle has dispatched more pests than I can count.

We’ve got a couple of old Ruger Americans that I keep as loaners as well as a couple of sported Mauser that I’ve built that also qualify as loaners… I’ll occasionally take one out myself just to have fun with it… they’ve been beat all to hell over the years but keep on shooting..

In Texas we sometimes refer to them as ranch guns. In the more southern states (Georgia and South Carolina) I've heard them called truck guns.

Mine is a FAL (technically stg58) with Aussie laminate handguards (the foil inner liner blocks heat the best.

1000005381.jpg

Mine is also an R8. I keep one set up as a .257 Wby by the back door. It is also my go anywhere in North America in any conditions deer rifle (with .300 barrel my go anywhere black bear, elk, or nilgai rifle). With synthetic stock and Blaser's proprietary finish, it is impervious to essentially any weather or environmental condition. As a .257 it will also reach anywhere on our little place from the back patio to drop a coyote or pig.

blaser.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NolanMesse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?