Badboymelvin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hey,

Do you have a knockabout/ utility rifle?
By that I mean a perfectly functioning - dare l say it boring rifle, but one you don't mind getting a scratch on, or don't mind getting wet... but one you find really, really useful?
Now, for some people all their rifles are knockabout rifles - but not me. I hate scratching, marking or damaging my rifles.
As for knockabout/ utility rifles, I have 2.

These 2 rifles are my constant companions when my son and I go metal detecting, or we go for a wander in the bush, or go fishing or it's pouring down with rain...
And even though l consider them knockabout rifles, it doesn't mean l don't like them... l do. I love them both.

The first is my 'Churchill' Mauser '98 in .243
Even though it's a knockabout/ utility rifle l love it for a few reasons.

Firstly, it is just so light and handy with it's 18" barrel and 3kg weight. I fitted it with the smallest 3-9 scope l could find and it is just an absolute joy to carry in the
field.
It has a M98 action and with 4 in the mag and another 9 in the ammo holder on the stock, l'm all set for the day
Secondly, l love the cartridge. Where l live in Victoria we just don't have the big dangerous game that other parts of Australia do, so the .243 is a really useful cartridge.
If l am not actually hunting just bushwalking, fishing or going metal-detecting l always carry a rifle - just in case, and in my neck of the woods the biggest predator I would encounter would be feral dogs.
My load consisting of a 87gn projectile at 2900fps would be absolutely deadly on predators this size as well as small/ medium deer, and when l'm carrying it l have every confidence l can handle any potential problems l may encounter...
And thirdly l love it because a dear friend gave it to me for my wife and daughter to shoot. It's nice when l'm out with my family and they can have a shot or 2 with it as well.
I will never part with this useful little rifle...

XMT6Tng.jpg

My second knockabout/ utility rifle will be very familiar with a lot of people... it is the venerable SMLE in .303 British.
I bought this for my Dad years ago and when he let his gun licence go, I inherited all his guns... but this was the one I was really happy to get back.
Like so many of these rifles it has been sporterised and fitted with a scope. This particular rifle is fitted with a Japanese made 3-9 Tasco which is actually pretty good.
The dependability and reliability of these rifles needs no elaboration and my SMLE feed, extracts and ejects flawlessly.
My rifle is pretty accurate for a sporterised .303 and averages around 2" at 100m. This is with the budget PPU 180gn ammo and while this may not please the benchrest crowd, I think it is pretty good for an ex-military rifle that is nearly 100 years old.
It is certainly plenty accurate for deer and big game at moderate ranges.
This rifle will get chosen over the .243 if l am doing something with my son or family and am in Sambar country - and the chance that a big stag may just appear from out of nowhere.
As much as l love the .243 the .303 is better suited to deer this size and a 180gn softpoint at 2400fps is nothing to sneeze at.
It may not look it, but my sporterised .303 actually feels pretty light and handy - and when loaded with a full 10 rounds of 180gn ammo in the magazine, l feel extremely confident carrying this rifle while adventuring in the bush.

J65shD3.jpg

So there's my 2 knockabout/ utility rifles.
What are yours?
Would love to hear about them and see a pic or 2...
I just love working rifles!

Russ

Mine is a Tikka T3 CTR ( Compact Tactical Rifle) it was purchased as a work rifle in 7mm-08 on clearance.
Like you the intention is not to knock it around but I am not precious about the Tupperware stock or getting a scratch on it .
It’s stainless and has the 10 round steel magazine. I paid a little more than a sporterised .303 but mounts etc are readily available and it accurate.
With a medium weight 20” barrel it’s been great from a vehicle and slightly heavier than a sporter model so still ok to carry.
I shot a lot of pests with it when I was working in the bush.
Piggy7-08.jpg

A Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe in 7x57mm Mauser
IMG_20240227_162452.jpg

A Remington Model 700 Kevlar Stock Custom in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum
Messenger_creation_EE9E7EAF-AA8D-47B9-8AFF-121EBFDA4320.jpeg

I don't knock any of my firearms about (and am obsessively particular about firearms maintenance). But I have been putting both these rifles through their paces quite extensively for several years now.

Was there ever any question?

Blaser Professional R8 375H&H and 300WM (not shown).
IMG_0091_Original.jpeg

A Mossberg ATR in 243. Bought it for my nephew when he thought he would take up deer hunting.
Another one I carry a lot is a Marlin Model 25 in 22 Mag. This rifle has dispatched more pests than I can count.

I have a Ruger Scout rifle 308 with the laminated stock. Its accurate in a great chambering low maintenance and nearly indestructible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul K

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?