Just finishing my safari and joined yesterday

Scott. I wish it was, unfortunately Kasonso Busanga remains vacant and is being poached to death as we speak.

I believe it is the Nkala area Greg hunts.
Actually, KB was awarded back to Cuturi and they recently got the paperwork done.

2018 - continued.

As with the Lesser Kudu, the pattern of the hunt remained the same; we'd drive around until we saw an animal, if I didn't know what it was - he would tell me, and if it was a good one I'd shoot it, if not - I'd pass until the next one.
Subsequent hunts, in other areas, have made it very clear - I was hunting in a petting zoo.

Next was this wildebeest.
IMG_4030.jpeg

Then one of several hartebeest

IMG_4036.jpeg

Then my first cape buffalo

IMG_4044.jpeg

Another one of these.

IMG_4066.jpeg

Then this impala.

IMG_4068.jpeg

Got this guy too.

IMG_4108.jpeg

And one of these.

IMG_4124.jpeg

Cape buffalo number 2.

IMG_4136.jpeg

This is one of many.

IMG_4150.jpeg

It wasn't pretty - but I managed one of these.

IMG_4156.jpeg

To be continued...

2018 - continued - the ostrich.

There were 2 animals which seemed to be in abundance by their almost constant presence - zebras and ostriches, wildebeest were third. They were everywhere. When asked years later why I shot so many zebras, I replied, "To get them out of the way - they were blocking my shots".

Back home, my wife had apparently stumbled (her word) upon her version of Shakari - "1001 Uses For Exotic Hides".

"Are there any ostriches? See if you can get an ostrich - I saw the most beautiful bag".

Now I'm the one invoking God - more specifically the son - Jesus.

Ostrich it is.

The PH explains: "You want to hit them in the spine. While they're walking away - draw a line from the base of the neck to the tail, and aim for that part of the back".

Theory sounds easy enough, let me narrate the practice part.

Locate a male ostrich, preferably a big one, the bigger the bird - the bigger the target. Get into his 6 o'clock - directly behind him for the non-fighter pilots, and pick your reference point.

Ostrich acquired and we move into his 6; sticks are set and I take aim - directly at his butt. My sight picture through the scope is a close up of an ostrich butt.

"Just above the tail and below the base of his neck, when you've got that - shoot".

For those trying to picture this scenario; you got it - there's not a lot to aim at.

Now, to make matters worse, he starts walking.

"You can still shoot, he's moving slow". The operative word here is - moving.

I take aim and squeeze the trigger, he's down.

The problem with ostriches walking is - they don't walk straight, they undulate from side to side.

As quickly as he had dropped - he rose to his feet and started running. The bullet had hit the right area, just not the right spot. It hit right of the spine - breaking the right clavicle (I assume that's what it's called) allowing his wing to hang limp.

Reloading, I hear two of the trackers talking and laughing. "What's so funny", I ask.

One of them responds, "He said, you shot him in the wing - doesn't he know they can't fly anyway?"

He had a point. I close the bolt, take aim at the fleeing handbag and my second shot hits - you guessed it, the drumstick. He crashes to ground.

I turn to the 2 trackers - "There, how about that - now he can't run either".

The handbag is in the bag.

More to come...

Since some of you have asked, I'll try to go back to my first hunt in 2018 and provide a little background and some photos.

I honestly don't know what inspired me to pick hunting in Africa, it just happened.

Bad dream, something I ate, Hatari or Tarzan movie - something got me interested. In retrospect it was it most likely a combo of "Idle hands are the devil's workshop", and too much time on my hands.

Whatever the cause, I Googled, "Hunting in Africa" and Shakari Connection popped up so I started reading. I had stumbled upon the "Reader's Digest" version of Hemingway.

Slowly - at first, I began to imagine myself, in full khaki - armed with a double - following in the footsteps of Roosevelt, facing lions, elephants, buffalo - all the challenges Africa presents. (Shakari has sections dedicated to each of the above - and more)

Totally captivated - I read on. "HELL YES - I could do this".

Ladies, at this point I would like to caution you; when you leave your retired husband at home, unsupervised. This sort of thing can happen.

Listed in the section, "African Hunting Rifles" was Heym, USA; there it was - a phone number in the US. I dialed and Chris Sells answered - blame or credit, that's what set the wheels turning.

Who knows, if he hadn't answered I might have moved on and Googled "Building Your Own Boat".

My wife was barely through the door when I announced, enthusiastically - "I'm going hunting in Africa". I'm fairly certain, "You're going to do what?" were the first words to leave her lips. "What, why, when, OH dear God, and you can't be serious, preceded - YOU DON'T EVEN HUNT", all clear and distinct. I'm not sure what followed, I could see her lips moving but I don't think they were forming real words.

"Honey, I got this - it's right here - I Googled it".

Her response was definitely "Oh dear God".

"Look, it's right here on this website - they list everything you need, shoes, pants, shirts, hats, guns - everything". And I talked to a guy, he said if we come to the DSC Convention in Dallas I can get everything right there".

She invoked God a third time.

* Guys, I would like to point out my use of the inclusive, "WE".

For whatever reason, and this is not the forum for speculation, she said, "Well be careful".
@Franco you have had me laughing in the isles with your writing style (I mean that in a good way)!!!
“I’ve googled it” “Ladies, at this point I would like to caution you; when you leave your retired husband at home, unsupervised. This sort of thing can happen. “
And “You don’t even hunt”!
Like the trip reports to. Please do keep them coming!

Thank you

I am a newcomer to hunting, having only gotten into it 5 years ago. I did a bit of bird hunting along the way, but it was when I turned 65 I decided to give Big Game hunting a try.

My Big Game rifles are:
Heym 500 NE Double (due next year)
Heym 450/400 Double
Heym 458 Lott
Heym 375 H&H Mag
Heym 300 Win Mag
Wthrby 300 Mag

What made you have a obsession with Heym? Not that I disagree I love them myself!

What made you have a obsession with Heym? Not that I disagree I love them myself!
I wouldn't call it an obsession; they're the only Big Game rifles I am familiar with.

When I made the decision to try hunting in Africa, Heym USA had their number listed on the website I had found - it was a USA number so I called. Chris Sells answered, didn't tell me I was crazy for wanting to start hunting at my age, and suggested I come talk to him at the upcoming DSC Convention.

It's been almost 6 years since that call; the biggest thing for me - they work. By no means am I an expert at shooting or hunting; what I do know is - they shoulder quickly and on target, the recoil is more of a push than a barrel rise, I've never had a jamb, they're accurate, and if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

The hunting is becoming the obsession.

2018 - continued.

Having resolved the question of whether or not I knew ostriches "can't fly anyway", we set out for more game,

This was next

IMG_4160.jpeg

Then we just happened upon this old guy. Head down, grazing, separated from a herd of approximately 60 other buffalo.

We were able to get to about 30 yds from him and I took aim and fired. The 450/400 round hit the sweet spot on the right shoulder and he dropped like a brick. He let out a bellow, and a stream of blood shot back out of the entry hole.

The rest of the herd, now alerted to the danger began to react. Some scattered while some seemed to take up defensive positions.

"Stay here" the PH hollered, as he and the trackers ran to face the threat.

I stared in amazement, the blood stream was as big as my thumb - and spraying out at least 3'. Like an organic lawn sprinkler, every beat - another spurt.

Surely this guy is out of blood. Not hardly, apparently not even close.

Just when I thought the referee was going to say, "10 - you're out", he attempted to get to his feet.

Head turned in my direction, blood pulsing out of his shoulder, with a look of, "Is that all you've got?"

Broken shoulders unable to support his weight, he faltered, and pulled his body left as if to join the fleeing herd.

Now facing away from me, his hind legs struggling to lift the back half of his body, I send the second barrel into his hip, breaking it and anchoring him to the ground.

He's down, but he's still not dead, and you don't leave a wounded cape buffalo undead.

With the PH standing guard, I reload and deliver the coup de grâce.

IMG_4181.jpeg

IMG_4204.jpeg

IMG_6903.jpeg

My first shot broke both shoulders and did what you see to the heart - and he struggled to his feet.

Damn - I've got a cousin who won't get out of bed with a f***g cold.

More later...

2018 - a few more

We had seen quite a few eland and the PH said, "They're really good eating - let's get one Wednesday, we can have it for lunch".

Yes, I am dead serious - that is exactly what he said.

So -

IMG_4217.jpeg

Brisket - Mmmmm, very tasty

IMG_6992.jpeg

This next guy kept popping out of his hole and running down the road when we drove out of camp. I told one of the trackers have my 300 Wtherby ready the next time we left camp.

Sure enough, we drive out of camp, this guy pops out on cue, I get out of the truck, the tracker hands me my rifle, and I catch him running down the road.

IMG_4230.jpeg

This one was next.

IMG_4235.jpeg

To be continued - buffalo charge...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidaEthr

Latest profile posts

URGENT LOVE SPELL CASTER TO BRING BACK MY EX LOVER +2349053366074 I NEED A LOVE SPELL CASTER TO BRING BACK MY EX LOVER.
INSTANT LOVE SPELLS THAT WORK FAST, NO SIDE EFFECTS AND IT DOESN’T BACKFIRE, My name is Dr ITSOKWI Spells caster. Call/WhatsApp +2349053366074 Specializing in helping you to achieve your goals. Trusted lost love spells in the world. Love spells that really work, spell to return ex lover with effecti
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!