Just finishing my safari and joined yesterday

Franco, thank you for reply.

I must say I admire your spirit.
Maybe, I know only one man, with this type of positive spirit, and this was my mentor and professor at college. I am now 52, and he is now in his 90-ties. he is still driving motor bike, sailing boats, and travels. We meet twice per year to exchange the news, and he always fascinates me with something new!

And i also find similarities in your story with mine.
I am deep sea ship captain, now on drilling rig, and although I started my hobistic activities early (started shooting age 12 with granpa, shot my first roe deer age 18) started fishing and boating earlier, at the age 7 or 8, and as the years gone by, now I am shooting coach, issf shooting judge/referee, member of hunting club, admin in my shooting club, ex free diving spear fishermen, scuba dive instructor, and I still have a feeling I lost a lot of my life spent at deep sea, and in shipping and offshore service. I travelled in the line of duty to 63 countries, all continents.

I made my first safari, in 2017, age 46. This was after I realized I can afford it, and when I realized that safari is realistically possible - thanks to internet.

I went in 2017 to Africa first time, but it took me few years to prepare before I made the trip, first by reading the books and various materials about safari, then also by taking good education on this web site, and other web sites. So, I got interested in African safari maybe with the age of 42, or 44, till I made first trip. (so far done 3 safaris, and planning next one)
Of course my plains game safaris are not even close to your true big game adventure in African wilderness, I experienced hunting plains game in Namibia only.

Once again, I admire your spirit, and congratulate on fantastic hunt.

Looking fwd to your next inputs.
Mark,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am flattered by the comparison to your college professor.

With respect to your realization you could afford to go, it is the realization there are things in life which you can't afford not to do which separates those who do from those who dream.

As you look back on your life, you will find you regret more the things you didn't do - than the things you did.

What I have seen of limitations people face is they are self-imposed.

This may seem like my life has been one big cliche, but it boils down to your basic outlook - you can either ask why or say why not.

If my suspicions are correct, this is the basic philosophy of the majority (if not entirety) of members of this forum.

Good luck on your next hunts.

Really enjoying your writing and thanks for letting us go along vicariously.

Franco, that was one He** of a hunt!! What is next on your list of animals to be taken? When, where and with whom? BTW that is an impressive battery of rifles.
Thanks,

Next up is leopard, it's the only one missing from the Big Five.

I had a chance at one on my first hunt in 2018. We were moving to get a clear view of a kudu and a huge leopard jumped out of bush on one side of the truck, right over the hood, and went into a bush on the other side of the truck.

The PH and I were both standing in the back looking at each other with a "Did you see that/" look on our faces.

The leopard was at the bottom of a bush just a few feet from the side of the truck, but I didn't have a clear shot at him. Too much brush and too many limbs for me to attempt a shot - so i didn't.

Two subsequent attempts have failed to yield positive results, but I am confident my next hunt will be successful. I will be returning next year to the area where I got the lion.

So after checking off such an impressive first hunt, where do you see yourself going next?

New country? Different species? Different method of hunting?

So after checking off such an impressive first hunt, where do you see yourself going next?

New country? Different species? Different method of hunting?
This wasn't my first hunt - it was my first exposure to this forum.

My first hunt was Tanzania in 2018, since then I've hunted Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and Zambia.

My goal is the Big Five. I had high hopes of completing it on this past trip but the leopard didn't work out. I did manage a fantastic lion and have renewed my hopes for next year.

View attachment 556829
This was the main purpose of my hunt in Zambia; all the animals taken up to this guy were bait, and it takes a lot of bait to hunt lions.

We had 4 bait sites with good activity. For whatever reason there were a lot of lions in the area. Cameras showed some good prospects and we started building blinds. We had a bit of a setback when, without any notice, a local conservation organization used one of our sites to dart and collar one of the big males.

This matter has not gone away and is now far above my pay grade. Needless to say the GMA Operator was not happy.

Fortunately for us, the other baits were still active and we (the PH) decided we should build another blind.

Not wanting to arrive too early, in case the lions were nearby - we got to the site at 10:30 AM.

Loaded with poles, grass, tarps, ropes, and more bait, we pulled up and stopped about 40 yds from the bait. Looking across and out the driver side window, I could see most of the bait had been consumed - almost an entire hippo hindquarter had been consumed in one night.

The PH cautioned us to be quiet as we began to exit the vehicle.

Exiting the passenger side, I heard one of the guys still on top - "There's a lion, on the left, at the edge of the grass".

I turned my head to the left and there he was, in broad daylight, about 40 yds out, on his side - head raised, staring directly at us. Directly at me to be more specific.

I pulled my rifle out of the seat and took aim.

"Don't shoot, never shoot a lion laying down, I need to make sure he's good" I think that's what the PH said.

My attention was focused elsewhere. 40 yds away was a male lion; through my scope I saw the fixed stare of his gold/green eyes. All I could think was, I am outside the vehicle and the closest to him.

"Everybody, just don't move" - I don't know who said it, but it seemed like excellent advice.

"I need to get a look at his teeth" - I heard the PH whisper. IS HE SERIOUS? And just how do you plan to accomplish that? I didn't say it - I was too afraid to move my lips, but I sure as hell thought it.

Almost on command, the lion opened his mouth, yawned, licked his lips, and laid his head down and went to sleep. I guess a hippo hindquarter will have that effect.

NOW WHAT? Do we send one of the guys to wake him up? Do we walk up and shoot him, tie a rope to him, what?

"Do not take your rifle off him, he's good, he will stand up to move out of the sun, when he does - shoot".

Sounds easy, stand rock steady, crosshairs on a napping male lion 40 yds away. I watch his nose twitch and his ears wiggle to ward off the Tsetse flies, and I am jealous - I never figured out how to wiggle my ears. I suffer the wrath of the Tsetses.

Rifle clenched, scope fixed on the lion, his eyes open. Will he stand? No - he raises his head and gazes in our direction. My first thought is, great - he's had a nap and now he's hungry.

I try to imagine what he sees and what he's thinking. I know he sees the vehicle, does he see the guys remaining on top as people or part of the vehicle? Does he see me or do I blend in with the background?

In an instant I have my answer, his gaze turns to a stare and it's straight at me.

"Just wait - he'll get up". The PH's words are barely audible, drowned out by the throbbing of my heart beat in my ears. I could hear myself sweat.

Through the scope I see him blink and try to match his rhythm.

That scene from the movie "Tombstone" where Doc Holiday faces off against Johnny Ringo begins to play in my mind, I hear Val Kilmer's line - "Say when". Dear God, please let me be Doc.

As if on cue, the lion's front paws squeeze and I see his leg muscles tense as he pulls them beneath him to stand. Front legs straightened, red-dot on his shoulder - I squeeze. Through the scope I see him fall, I reload and fire again.

The lion lies motionless on the ground. I breath, reload, and I'm joined by the PH who cautions me to hold position.

Just when I think it's over, I hear, "Guys, don't move - there's 2 more coming through the grass to the left".

2 females had been hiding in the grass and were now headed at us. Fortunately they stopped and ran off once reaching the edge.

I would like to say this was a piece of cake - just another day of hunting. I'd like to, but I can't.

I've shot animals at close range; an elephant at 21', a hippo at less, a cape buffalo at about 30'. These all happened so fast there was no time to think - just react. Training takes over and when it's over you actually feel pride and a sense of accomplishment. Events like those are why we train.

Nothing prepares you for a standoff with a lion. There is way too much time to think about all the ways it can go wrong. I am just thankful nothing went wrong that day.

Incredible post, sincere congratulations on your lion, I am absolutely in awe. And great narration by the way, there is no point in shooting a lion if you can’t properly tell an awe inspiring tale about it.

Incredible post, sincere congratulations on your lion, I am absolutely in awe. And great narration by the way, there is no point in shooting a lion if you can’t properly tell an awe inspiring tale about it.
Thank you for the kind words.

Nice trophies, congratulations

@Franco
I am sure you will get leopard next time, and complete big 5.(y)

Already having a bug, may I suggest a next goal: true spiral horn slam?

@Franco
I am sure you will get leopard next time, and complete big 5.(y)

Already having a bug, may I suggest a next goal: true spiral horn slam?
Mark,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm trying my best to put the odds in my favor; the area has lots of leopards and a high rate of success, the owner of the area is very excited and supportive of me completing my Big Five at his camp, and the PH is Greg Michelson - who was just with me for the hunt in Zambia.

As for future goals, to be honest - I don't know what a spiral horn slam is. I don't even have a trophy room. That may have to change.

I am enjoying the hunting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm trying my best to put the odds in my favor; the area has lots of leopards and a high rate of success, the owner of the area is very excited and supportive of me completing my Big Five at his camp, and the PH is Greg Michelson - who was just with me for the hunt in Zambia.

As for future goals, to be honest - I don't know what a spiral horn slam is. I don't even have a trophy room. That may have to change.

I am enjoying the hunting. Thanks for the suggestion.
The spiral slam consists of Greater Kudu, lesser Kudu, Nyala, Mountain Nyala, Bongo, Sitatunga, Common Eland, Livingston Eland, Lord Derby Eland, and all the Bushbuck sub species.

What’s your plan for all your animals that you got? Are you a skull mount or taxidermy kind of a man?

The spiral slam consists of Greater Kudu, lesser Kudu, Nyala, Mountain Nyala, Bongo, Sitatunga, Common Eland, Livingston Eland, Lord Derby Eland, and all the Bushbuck sub species.
Connor,

Why do I get the feeling you're a divorce attorney looking for a client?

The road to spiral slam holy grail of African hunting will lead you to virtually all huntable African countries. To name few. Collecting big 5 is big achievement, but getting all spiral horns are nothing less. and is maybe even more demanding. They are the antelopes that have spiral horns. 9 species, numeorus subspecies. Getting 9 basic species of them is difficult, and without gurantee, but getting it all with all subspecies, uff

Bongo - Cameroun for now only available country with rain forest - other equatorial countries with rain forest are security risk, thus remain only Cameroun to hunt Bongo. This is hunting in jungle. (what I dreamed about when I was a kid watching Tarzan movies)
Mountain Nyala in Ethiopia.
Lord Derby eland, maybe in the savanna of Cameroun again.... tracking on spoor, eland never stops
Sitatunga.... swamp antelope
Lesser kudu in Tanzania...

Below is the list.... 9 species with lot of effort and dediation can be achieved (some forum members did it) but full true spiral horn slam 9 species and almost 30 subspecies...., I am not sure how many hunters have accomplished this in history? maybe one or two, maybe 4? This is the level of difficulty with spirals.

I am hoping to get modest 4 of the spirals.... already have Kudu and Eland, remaining two for me Nyala and bushbuck. I will try to get to them after my buffalo.

But full list is below, to spark some imagination

1. Lesser kudu
o Genus Ammelaphus Heller, 1912 – lesser kudus
 Ammelaphus imberbis (Blyth, 1869) – northern lesser kudu
 Ammelaphus australis Heller, 1913 – southern lesser kudu

2. Common Nyala
o Genus Nyala Heller, 1912
 Nyala angasii (Angas, 1849) – lowland nyala

3. Eland
o Genus Taurotragus Wagner, 1855 – elands
 Taurotragus oryx (Pallas, 1767) – common eland
 Taurotragus oryx ivingstonii Sclater, 1864 – Livingstone's eland
 Taurotragus oryx pattersonianus Lydekker, 1906 – East African eland
 Taurotragus oryx oryx (Pallas, 1767) – Cape eland

4. Greater Kudu
o Genus Strepsiceros Hamilton Smith, 1827 – greater kudus
 Strepsiceros strepsiceros (Pallas, 1766) – Cape greater kudu
 Strepsiceros zambesiensis (Lorenz, 1894) – Zambezi greater kudu
 Strepsiceros chora (Cretzschmar, 1826) – northern greater kudu
 Strepsiceros cottoni (Dollman & Burlace, 1928) – western greater kudu

5. Bushbuck
o Genus Tragelaphus de Blainville, 1816
 Tragelaphus scriptus group (Pallas, 1766) – kéwel
 Tragelaphus scriptus (Pallas, 1766) – western bushbuck
 Tragelaphus phaleratus (Hamilton Smith, 1827) – central bushbuck
 Tragelaphus bor Heuglin, 1877 – Nile bushbuck
 Tragelaphus decula (Rüppell, 1835) – Abyssinian bushbuck
 Tragelaphus sylvaticus group (Sparrman, 1780) – imbabala
 Tragelaphus meneliki Neumann, 1902 – Menelik's bushbuck
 Tragelaphus fasciatus Pocock, 1900 – eastern coastal bushbuck
 Tragelaphus ornatus Pocock, 1900 – Chobe bushbuck
 Tragelaphus sylvaticus (Sparrman, 1780) – Cape bushbuck

6. Mountain Nyala
 Tragelaphus buxtoni (Lydekker, 1910) – mountain nyala

7. Bongo
 Tragelaphus euryceros (Ogilby, 1837) – bongo
 Tragelaphus euryceros isaaci (Thomas, 1902) – mountain bongo
 Tragelaphus euryceros euryceros (Ogilby, 1837) – lowland bongo

8. Sitatunga
 Tragelaphus spekii group Speke, 1863 – sitatungas
 Tragelaphus spekii Speke, 1863 – East African sitatunga
 Tragelaphus sylvestris (Meinertzhagen, 1916) – Nkosi Island sitatunga
 Tragelaphus larkenii (St. Leger, 1931) – Nile sitatunga
 Tragelaphus ugallae Matschie, 1913 – Tanzanian sitatunga
 Tragelaphus gratus Sclater, 1880 – western sitatunga
 Tragelaphus selousi Rothschild, 1898 – Zambezi sitatunga

9. Lord Derby Eland
 Taurotragus derbianus (Gray, 1847) – giant eland
 Taurotragus derbianus gigas Heuglin, 1863 – eastern giant eland
 Taurotragus derbianus derbianus (Gray, 1847) – western giant eland

But I digress with my ideas, and I am stealing your thread. Sorry for that.
Do please continue your story!

wife not happy about the new hobby?
Actually, quite the opposite. I was in the process of answering your question about trophies.

Mrs "NO HEADS" now has designed that huge trophy incorporating the 4 cape buffalo, hung euro mounts on the stairway, has 5 zebra rugs - in various rooms of the house. I might point out, 1 is on the floor of her walk-in closet, and an eland backskin in on the floor of her walk-in closet's walk-in closet.

She and her friends refer to that combo as her "Store", since that's what it looks like. Placed around the room, in no order I can determined, are her alligator, crocodile, ostrich, zebra, and lord knows what else - bags, purses, handbags, you name it.

If I find the person who introduced her to that "Nice lady who used to work for Hermes", I will beat the living crap out of him/her/they/them/shim/? (California remember?)

It's not the new hobby.

Statistics show one of the most stressful events, resulting in divorce, a married couple can experience is building a new house.

Your question about trophies was very timely. We are looking at houses/property in several other states with the intention of shop/mancave/trophy room.

The road to spiral slam holy grail of African hunting will lead you to virtually all huntable African countries. To name few. Collecting big 5 is big achievement, but getting all spiral horns are nothing less. and is maybe even more demanding. They are the antelopes that have spiral horns. 9 species, numeorus subspecies. Getting 9 basic species of them is difficult, and without gurantee, but getting it all with all subspecies, uff

Bongo - Cameroun for now only available country with rain forest - other equatorial countries with rain forest are security risk, thus remain only Cameroun to hunt Bongo. This is hunting in jungle. (what I dreamed about when I was a kid watching Tarzan movies)
Mountain Nyala in Ethiopia.
Lord Derby eland, maybe in the savanna of Cameroun again.... tracking on spoor, eland never stops
Sitatunga.... swamp antelope
Lesser kudu in Tanzania...

Below is the list.... 9 species with lot of effort and dediation can be achieved (some forum members did it) but full true spiral horn slam 9 species and almost 30 subspecies...., I am not sure how many hunters have accomplished this in history? maybe one or two, maybe 4? This is the level of difficulty with spirals.

I am hoping to get modest 4 of the spirals.... already have Kudu and Eland, remaining two for me Nyala and bushbuck. I will try to get to them after my buffalo.

But full list is below, to spark some imagination

1. Lesser kudu
o Genus Ammelaphus Heller, 1912 – lesser kudus
 Ammelaphus imberbis (Blyth, 1869) – northern lesser kudu
 Ammelaphus australis Heller, 1913 – southern lesser kudu

2. Common Nyala
o Genus Nyala Heller, 1912
 Nyala angasii (Angas, 1849) – lowland nyala

3. Eland
o Genus Taurotragus Wagner, 1855 – elands
 Taurotragus oryx (Pallas, 1767) – common eland
 Taurotragus oryx ivingstonii Sclater, 1864 – Livingstone's eland
 Taurotragus oryx pattersonianus Lydekker, 1906 – East African eland
 Taurotragus oryx oryx (Pallas, 1767) – Cape eland

4. Greater Kudu
o Genus Strepsiceros Hamilton Smith, 1827 – greater kudus
 Strepsiceros strepsiceros (Pallas, 1766) – Cape greater kudu
 Strepsiceros zambesiensis (Lorenz, 1894) – Zambezi greater kudu
 Strepsiceros chora (Cretzschmar, 1826) – northern greater kudu
 Strepsiceros cottoni (Dollman & Burlace, 1928) – western greater kudu

5. Bushbuck
o Genus Tragelaphus de Blainville, 1816
 Tragelaphus scriptus group (Pallas, 1766) – kéwel
 Tragelaphus scriptus (Pallas, 1766) – western bushbuck
 Tragelaphus phaleratus (Hamilton Smith, 1827) – central bushbuck
 Tragelaphus bor Heuglin, 1877 – Nile bushbuck
 Tragelaphus decula (Rüppell, 1835) – Abyssinian bushbuck
 Tragelaphus sylvaticus group (Sparrman, 1780) – imbabala
 Tragelaphus meneliki Neumann, 1902 – Menelik's bushbuck
 Tragelaphus fasciatus Pocock, 1900 – eastern coastal bushbuck
 Tragelaphus ornatus Pocock, 1900 – Chobe bushbuck
 Tragelaphus sylvaticus (Sparrman, 1780) – Cape bushbuck

6. Mountain Nyala
 Tragelaphus buxtoni (Lydekker, 1910) – mountain nyala

7. Bongo
 Tragelaphus euryceros (Ogilby, 1837) – bongo
 Tragelaphus euryceros isaaci (Thomas, 1902) – mountain bongo
 Tragelaphus euryceros euryceros (Ogilby, 1837) – lowland bongo

8. Sitatunga
 Tragelaphus spekii group Speke, 1863 – sitatungas
 Tragelaphus spekii Speke, 1863 – East African sitatunga
 Tragelaphus sylvestris (Meinertzhagen, 1916) – Nkosi Island sitatunga
 Tragelaphus larkenii (St. Leger, 1931) – Nile sitatunga
 Tragelaphus ugallae Matschie, 1913 – Tanzanian sitatunga
 Tragelaphus gratus Sclater, 1880 – western sitatunga
 Tragelaphus selousi Rothschild, 1898 – Zambezi sitatunga

9. Lord Derby Eland
 Taurotragus derbianus (Gray, 1847) – giant eland
 Taurotragus derbianus gigas Heuglin, 1863 – eastern giant eland
 Taurotragus derbianus derbianus (Gray, 1847) – western giant eland

But I digress with my ideas, and I am stealing your thread. Sorry for that.
Do please continue your story!
Mark,

Do not apologize; I find the information very interesting.

Who knows, it might be something I pursue.

Off that list, I have a Lesser and Greater Kudu, Eland, and Bushbuck.

Let me see how I do on the leopard.

@Franco
With lesser kudu, you are on good way! Congrats! Good luck on leopard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErickaVang

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!