Judging Harnessed Buskbuck

Sarg

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
I was hoping you guys with experience on Harnessed/Northern Bushbuck might be able to post some pics or have options on horn length ?

I have only hunted the Southern Species & think 12in is a start 14.5in is Ok & 16in would be nice (no 16in for me yet) I have a self guided hunt in West Africa next year & this is one of the species I should be able to find, be good to have a idea where to start ?

Cheers

So unfortunately I can’t help you…but self guided in West Africa? I’m intrigued to know more on this, not that I’d ever do it but I definitely have to know more.

Good luck. Harnessed Bushbuck are like many of the others. Look for heavy horns at the bases and length 2.5 times the length of the ears. Big will look big.

Heavy bases, thick horns, worn down tips......these are the big ones on bushbuck.....mass is the key indicater. If you keep looking and glassing and you are not sure it is not old enough......dont try and convince yourself.....you should know the right one......

Hopefully you’ll talk to some PHs that hunt in that country before your hunt or Cameroon PHs. There are some big harnessed bushbuck but looking at photos the average horns are considerably smaller than other bushbuck species. If you search media here for word “harnessed” it actually brings up a lot of trophies to use as a reference or google images for harnessed bushbuck hunt. If you go with the mentality of looking for a cape or Limpopo bushbuck you might pass something you absolutely shouldn’t if you even get opportunity to see a trophy. That was one of the species I wanted most from Cameroon but didn’t get an opportunity.

This is your guide.

RW Minimum is a lot smaller.

So average southern is a monster Harnessed.

Here's hoping you run across a heavy 15.

Good luck.

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 11.35.27.png
Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 11.35.08.png

The hunt should always take preverance to the length.....I would hunt an ancient 10" (even a 1 horn)as long as I put in the time and enjoyed that time before I shoot a record book youngster.....

Thank you for the replies, suggestions & guidance, yes I had looked at the SCI & RW scores & saw they were a much smaller subspecies.

Also saw a lot of trophy Bushbuck on the net that looked to be younger/immature animals with thinner horns & bases but it seems the Harnessed are a bit light on the horns.

On the other hand after searching as @375Fox suggested on this forum there were some very nice Rams taken, hopefully I can get there early next year to find out ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]