John Talbot Clifton Rigby .275

PaulB

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all,
I purchased this rifle in London last year, The original owner was an interesting chap, he used this rifle all over the world on many adventures.

John Talbot Clifton (1 December 1868 – 23 March 1928), known as Talbot Clifton, was an English landowner, traveler, and world renown hunter.

He was born the son of Thomas Henry Clifton of Lytham Hall, Lancashire and his wife Madeline Agnew. John Talbot was educated at Eton College and Magdalene College, Cambridge. He succeeded his grandfather, John Talbot Clifton I (1819–1882), who had been MP for Lancashire and High Sheriff of Lancashire 1853, Upon his grandfather’s passing, Talbot became the owner of the Lytham estate at the age of 14.

He became a compulsive traveler and hunter who explored and hunted in Canada, Siberia, Burma, Malaya, Indonesia, Africa, and South America, and was known for his shooting ability. Some of the animals he shot were species new to science and were named after him, such as a type of wild Siberian sheep (Clifton's Bighorn) and in Canada (Clifton's Marmot). Talbot noted in one of his writings that on a particular hunt he once dined on mammoth he and his expedition recovered frozen from the arctic permafrost.

In 1928 Talbot embarked on his final hunting journey to Timbuktu with his wife, but he fell ill en route. They turned back in Mali but in 1928 he died in the Canary Islands. His wife later wrote a biography of her husband, published under the title The Book of Talbot, which won the 1933 James Tait Black Prize.

Within the book there is a photo of Talbot with his 275 Rigby.

Talbot_Clifton_1908.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-29 152415.png
Screenshot 2023-12-29 152557.png
IMG_6290.jpeg
IMG_6292.jpeg
IMG_6293.jpeg
IMG_6294.jpeg
IMG_6295.jpeg
IMG_6297.jpeg
IMG_6298.jpeg
IMG_6301.jpeg
IMG_6299.jpeg
IMG_6303.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful rifle and spectacular provenance. I trust you take it out of the safe periodically and share an oily rag and single malt with the original owner. I am certain a bit of the soul must remain with such a firearm.

A gorgeous rifle, and in such pristine condition! It almost looks like it just rolled off the bench.
Congratulations on this purchase, it is magnificent. Take well care of it.

Wow, I think I own all my humble rifles. That is the kind you are just a caretaker for. I am also curious if it will see any action!
I will reload for and shoot the rifle, but I don’t plan on hunting with it. As Schmijar so aptly put it, I am the “caretaker” of this rifle. My plan is to keep her fit and clean in honor of Mr. Talbot.

Just bought The Book of Talbot

first editions are readily available in good condition
It is an interesting read, including maps of his travels.

I contacted the Clifton family through their museum in the UK, to let them know I located his “long lost” (as they put it) rifle. I sent them some pics, and they graciously sent me an autographed (by Mrs. Clifton) first edition.

See pics

B764F300-0C98-4999-A0B7-C7A6891D368C.jpeg
3A3C8E76-BA2D-4C75-A0A6-7C743B0C23F6.jpeg
44A91EAA-8816-4E4C-962F-95860BA44456.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will reload for and shoot the rifle, but I don’t plan on hunting with it. As Schmijar so aptly put it, I am the “caretaker” of this rifle. My plan is to keep her fit and clean in honor of Mr. Talbot.
Respectfully. I encourage you to rethink your stewardship role. That fine rifle was born to hunt! Its lines are close to perfection, not only to see, but to use. I’m sure Mr. Clifton would agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarriKawam

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]