John Rigby 416 Double Square Bridge

When I visited a while ago Safari and Outdoor had a couple of new Rigby Big Games in stock, so anyone can get an idea of the new ex-counter price in South Africa. Give Hanke or Bruce a call.

Their site lists a Rigby Big Game 450 single square bridge with grade 5 wood for R195 000.
I’m glad I don’t live in RSA. If I saw a new square bridge 450R with Grade 5 wood for $11,600 I’d think it over for about 1.25 seconds.

I’m glad I don’t live in RSA. If I saw a new square bridge 450R with Grade 5 wood for $11,600 I’d think it over for about 1.25 seconds.
It has been there for quite a while and I really can't understand why, I have handled it with the gloves on of course, it is beautiful.

I have imported a couple of rifles from Switzerland - no real problem. Used a service out of Maryland for both. No hassle other than costs a few hundred with shipping and all. RSA shouldn't be a problem, then??

I have no idea what the import duty is to the USA, it is 40% to Zim. As Kevin knows I would have bought Safari Outdoors 89b .470 with shotgun bbls for my wife.

Only just long enough to grab the wallet. There is a decent example for sale at a TX Cabela's that you may want to push on. New gun, mediocre wood but could be bought at less than $15k. They have had it for a long while and are into it pre price increase.

My cost on the two aforementioned Swiss rifles was about half that much, each. I am talking total cost to my FFL here in Washington State.

Thank you very much for the input. As you can see we're not used to selling on forums.

With out selling myself short, I fully understand we're not going to see what we put in back. I appreciate input on condition and grading.
lol...do not feel bad...you are like so many of us getting emotionally attached to our rifles. Be flattered that @rookhawk was considering the rifle for his own...that is a high complement indeed. We look to him to give us the facts and nothing but the facts in an unemotional way so we can make an educated decision and he does that very very well. Good luck...you will sell this rifle very soon!

Ok , after piecing a few things together, I think I can be a little more specific with a ball park.

You can get a new one with Grade 8 stock ( a R30K option) for R302K. Take off the R30K and 80% (as a starting point), we're at R216K. The dies and ammo would be around R17K.

All offers will be considered.

lol...do not feel bad...you are like so many of us getting emotionally attached to our rifles. Be flattered that @rookhawk was considering the rifle for his own...that is a high complement indeed. We look to him to give us the facts and nothing but the facts in an unemotional way so we can make an educated decision and he does that very very well. Good luck...you will sell this rifle very soon!
Them emotions , get me every time.

Their site lists a Rigby Big Game 450 single square bridge with grade 5 wood for R195 000.
Yup, saw that. They also have a .416 with Grade 8 listed at R302k. I've asked for an indicative price on the same spec as ours to get an idea. Just did some calcs based on the one listed. Will revert when I get the feedback.

Ok , after piecing a few things together, I think I can be a little more specific with a ball park.

You can get a new one with Grade 8 stock ( a R30K option) for R302K. Take off the R30K and 80% (as a starting point), we're at R216K. The dies and ammo would be around R17K.

All offers will be considered.
The astute would note that with out the rifle , the ammo and dies are meaningless to me. Don't negotiate too hard please :p

The astute would note that with out the rifle , the ammo and dies are meaningless to me. Don't negotiate too hard please :p

Not sure what the wood upgrade prices are these days as it goes in steps. Your rifle is the base model wood which is grade III. Each two grades up (e,g. 5, 7) is another upcharge.

Pretty wood is nice but the advantage of your base model wood is that the straight grain is less likely to crack over years of hard use. You have a beautiful rifle and if I was your neighbor we would have come to a deal on the gun already.

If the buyer sends Rigby $700 they will supply a front ring that goes into the pivot mount slot and a rear ring that clamps to the rear square bridge. Putting a quick detach scope on it turns a 50 yard professionals rifle into a 200 yard versatile client rifle.

Awesome weapon that will hold its value and costs little more than a customized commercial weapon if similar features!

6x9, It may help your cause if you state your price and stop dancing about. People here in general are pretty direct. For me in particular I find this fiddling rather annoying and I would not buy this rifle because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.