Is this normal behavior by a Safari outfitter?

He said a package hunt not an auction or donated hunt or did I miss something, definitely two different animals.
I saw this but maybe read too much into it... "But maybe they don’t care as they stay busy with donation hunts it seems."

He said a package hunt not an auction or donated hunt or did I miss something, definitely two different animals.
just miss interpretation.

I mentioned this outfitter does many auction hunts and seems to be the model. And @Green Chile just added that this makes his radar go off.

The op has a package booked. (Not an auction) They added a day due to flights. Outfitter said ok add day per package rate. Now it seems they are going back and are saying no you need to add day based off price sheet and not from package rates.

It’s not super duper shady but Is just bad service. *** if the operator did originally say yes add extra day just off package rate and is now going back. ***

But standard add ons to SA packages are generally added off the listed price sheet. So it’s just a tough situation IMO.

I would just try and have a good time and hopefully the outfitter makes right. If not I bet you could still have fun and be the bigger person. (Easier said than done… not sure how I would take it)

Last edited:
At our state SCI meeting last week a fellow member talked about a missed shot fee. If the hunter didn’t find and kill the exact animal he missed he would have to pay the trophy fee if he killed the animal or not. I’ve definitely never heard of this before. Has anyone else?

That's why I asked the question about the 180 daily rate...no one charges that low right now. It's probably the wrong rate...but they said it and should hold it for that 1 day in my opinion.

That's why I asked the question about the 180 daily rate...no one charges that low right now. It's probably the wrong rate...but they said it and should hold it for that 1 day in my opinion.
Yep

And observe fee is listed at $250 on their sheet.

Seems the operator extended the package a day but now are going back on that. Bummer

At our state SCI meeting last week a fellow member talked about a missed shot fee. If the hunter didn’t find and kill the exact animal he missed he would have to pay the trophy fee if he killed the animal or not. I’ve definitely never heard of this before. Has anyone else?
I would be in deep shit hunting there :ROFLMAO:o_O

Sometimes seeing double on the morning hunts :D Cheers:

I don't know how other outfitters work. I can only go by my experiences with outfitters that I have used. Once we have a contract prices are set in stone. Any Prices Subject to Change Without Notice, only affect any added animals of opportunity not part of the contract, any additional days, and taxidermy fees.

"all prices are subject to change without prior notice." sure, but... that is before you get a contract/offer/agreement in writing, after that he can´t change it.

I would stay away from people like this, who knows what other "surprises" you may end up with.

"all prices are subject to change without prior notice." sure, but... that is before you get a contract/offer/agreement in writing, after that he can´t change it.

I would stay away from people like this, who knows what other "surprises" you may end up with.
If your kudu ends up being sci gold they list it as a %50 increase on their price sheet.

Don’t need to say much more

Sounds to me like they originally quoted an observer rate, rather than hunting day.

As an aside, a mate and I booked a 2:1 buff/ele hunt in 2018, for 2020. Due to covid, we had to reschedule the hunt twice, and we finally got to do it in 2022. Marius Goosen from KMG Safaris was absolutely adamant that he would stick to the original quoted price, even though we offered him the chance to re-quote, which we thought only fair. He is a man of his word, hence why we go back.

Well, it isn’t a great start. Communication problems about payment is probably the best way to mess up a hunt before you even get there.

I see many acquaintances go to Africa, fall in with an “animal mill” operation, and not really enjoy the trip. They often don’t go back, which is pretty sad.

It’s probably for this reason I keep going back with the same outfit. I’m there to have fun and I’m happy to pay for it. We hunt many different regions, and they’ve hooked me up with other PHs and properties when the desired menu required it. I always leave with the feeling that I got more value than I paid for.

For the OPs situation, I’d try to discern if it’s a single issue or symptom of a bigger mess about to happen. In the grand scheme of things, the difference isn’t that much compared to the whole trip. Sometimes you just need enough margin to suck it up and go have fun.

That said, if a talk with the owner left my spidey-senses tingling, I might rethink the whole idea.

As for missed shot fees and paying-by-the-inch, I’ll probably stop going when that takes over.

Totally unacceptable business practice IMO. If you are not good to your word, you are rather useless as a human being. I don’t know how much money you have sunk with this outfit, but I would
Be doing the math on a cancellation.

Yes.
A person books a hunt for 10 animals in 7 days. Client didn't understand 7 days total, 5 hunting days. Client kills X amount of the 10 animals. The money paid for those animals are part of the contract. The PH provided the client with one or more opportunities to kill the 10 contracted animals; either the client missed and/or refused to shoot the contracted animal(s). Thereby no refund on trophy fees.

If the hunter didn’t find and kill the exact animal he missed he would have to pay the trophy fee if he killed the animal or not.

Finding the "exact animal is the PH's responsibility. I think "exact animal" is out of context. Or a bad outfitter/PH and/or PH.

Regardless of a miss or wounded animal a good PH and tracker will look for evidence and confirm the shot was a miss and continue to hunt that species or confirm the animal has been wounded and the client is then given the choice to hunt that specific animal for a "quick" and humane kill or to hunt another animal of the same species at 2 x the trophy fee: 1 fee for the wounded animal plus 1 fee for the animal recovered.

This is easy to say but do not let this issue ruin your trip.

I would take this issue directly to the owner. I can see someone who sets behind a desk causing this issue without the sales/hunting side being aware, I guarantee you the PH is going to side with you (tip).

Is $420 their regular daily fee? If not what could cause that big of a increase? I have to assume this is a RSA hunt?

What we would do in a circumstance like this. The client unless there was a pre existing agreement would be charged as a normal extension of hunting days.

I do not know what normal daily fees are in RSA. In Zim if I hire a PH it is going to cost me $250.00 to $300.00 per day.

I have a feeling that after you have communicated with the owner you will reach a satisfactory agreement, if not other members need to be informed. Then the outfitter should state his case.

For your sake and the industry I hope this is resolved.

Lon

At $420 a day for a plains game hunt in South Africa I have to ask if it is a 5-Star lodge and service?
Assuming it is not, and that it seems the outfitter misquoted you a price of $180 and won't honor it, I would not be pleased.

My recorse to this behavior would be to act polite and professional before and after the hunt and take the total difference of $720 out of any tip that I might provide for comparable service at an honest outfitter. If that outfitter is a total smuck, when he drops me off at the airport for departure, I'd tell him that I kept the $720 difference from his tip because of them not honoring thier quote of $180 a day. "No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Many times I've praised the honest total service I've received twice at @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS . I do this because being a blunt retired US Marine, I appreciate when a business goes out of their way to please their customers. Great profits are earned from satisfied "repeat" customers!

Last edited:
I've heard of missed shot fees. You miss a shot $40.00. Not a trophy fee. Wound it, its yours.
Miss it, no trophy fee.
It is meant to slow some guys down and make them aim and to keep the noise levels down.

Wow! Plains game daily rates are now $450!!?? Manitoba waterfowl and Yukon caribou are looking a lot more appealing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BusterKrus