Is the CZ 550 Gone or Not?

It's a push feed.
1681777438184.png

The barrel attachment was claimed to be so users could interchange barrels (probably more to do with cheaper production), however the warning from CZ USA shows it may not have been all that well thought out.

1681777300182.png

"CZ-USA has recently learned of a potential safety issue with the CZ 600 bolt-action rifles. CZ-USA is voluntarily initiating a recall of these rifles to protect the safety of its customers because of the potential for a catastrophic failure if the barrel is not installed correctly.

To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, you should immediately stop using your CZ 600 rifle and not load or fire it until it has been returned to CZ-USA to be inspected and modified.

CZ 600 rifles were designed to allow the users to replace the barrels themselves to change the caliber. CZ-USA has learned that if the barrel is improperly installed, it is possible that the rifle could still be fired, but potentially result in a catastrophic failure. CZ-USA will correct this issue by permanently installing the barrels in CZ 600 rifles. As a result, the barrels on CZ 600 rifles will no longer be interchangeable. CZ-USA understands that this solution may not be acceptable to some of our customers, in which case we will issue a full refund upon presentation of a valid receipt for the purchase of your rifle."

It's a push feed.
View attachment 529061

The barrel attachment was claimed to be so users could interchange barrels (probably more to do with cheaper production), however the warning from CZ USA shows it may not have been all that well thought out.

View attachment 529060

"CZ-USA has recently learned of a potential safety issue with the CZ 600 bolt-action rifles. CZ-USA is voluntarily initiating a recall of these rifles to protect the safety of its customers because of the potential for a catastrophic failure if the barrel is not installed correctly.

To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, you should immediately stop using your CZ 600 rifle and not load or fire it until it has been returned to CZ-USA to be inspected and modified.

CZ 600 rifles were designed to allow the users to replace the barrels themselves to change the caliber. CZ-USA has learned that if the barrel is improperly installed, it is possible that the rifle could still be fired, but potentially result in a catastrophic failure. CZ-USA will correct this issue by permanently installing the barrels in CZ 600 rifles. As a result, the barrels on CZ 600 rifles will no longer be interchangeable. CZ-USA understands that this solution may not be acceptable to some of our customers, in which case we will issue a full refund upon presentation of a valid receipt for the purchase of your rifle."
They should have used something similar to Savage's time tested barrel replacement system with a barrel nut. Now, you just have ANOTHER push feed rifle at a higher price point than Savage, Mossberg, Ruger, Weatherby, etc.

It's a push feed.
View attachment 529061

View attachment 529060

Why did Guns and Ammo have to be the publication to explain this and not CZ's actual website? Not good.

I would think from the standpoint of a future chambering of .375 and up, most hunters would desire a true CRF action?
Judging from this community, there are few schools of preference on this forum, for large calibers.

1. CRF fans, on some type of mauser 98 action

2. Double rifle fans

3. Push feed fans, who mostly hunt with Blaser R8, which is also straight pull action. Basically R8 fan group.

4. Single shot fans, mostly based on ruger 1

This is majority of forum members when it comes to choice of serious african rifle, that includes DG hunt.

Putting new CZ 600 somewhere on this list, is going to be difficult. I dont see it coming. One time goers to safari can take savage, tikka, bergara (or cz 600).... But serious repetitive safari hunters are in these 4 groups.

To be compared with some rifles designs I mentioned above.
Somehow, I dont see mr Paul Mauser or mr John Farquharson writing such letters, at the end of XX century.

I suspect the CZ action in phasing out the 550 is both in wear and tear of production machinery, and like Ruger, with William B's passing, did likewise with the delectable No, 1 (Yup, another fanatic here) and the RSM. The accountants now have control, sadly.

the cz 550 in ./375 H&H sat on the rack for some time with the price being lowered every month, it was at 750./00+tax and i offered 700./00 and was told, its 750./00, but he offered two boxs of new os winchester ammo. i bought it/. i also have the cz 550 in 6.5x55 and a 550 varmite in 22-250 with detachable magizine./ i have shot those./

Just my opinion - In cetral Europe, where the ZKK 602 and later the CZ 550 were produced, I don't personally know any hunter who uses them. No local gunsmith even recommended me to buy them. Reason - big differences in the quality of individual pieces. Only the better quality pieces were exported. So much for previous CZ production.
(I'm not a gunsmith, but I've come across this argument many times. It is also common here on the forum - CZ yes, but have it modified by a competent gunsmith.)
Of course, there are people who are excited about them, either because "it's ours" or because they were lucky enough to get a quality piece.
Big bore rifles are, after all, more demanding on the quality of processing and materials than something in regular calibers. I personally do not think that CZ will start producing something like that again.

Last edited:
It's a push feed.
View attachment 529061

View attachment 529060

That system looks very much like Sauer 202, SSG 3000 and similar. One have to test fire each barrel after removed ,put it back in for zero .

Just my opinion - In cetral Europe, where the ZKK 602 and later the CZ 550 were produced, I don't personally know any hunter who uses them. No local gunsmith even recommended me to buy them. Reason - big differences in the quality of individual pieces.
Interesting comment.
What are most popular rifle brands in Slovakia and Czech republic? I mean, for middle class.

Interesting comment.
What are most popular rifle brands in Slovakia and Czech republic? I mean, for middle class.
In our country(s) it is the one that has an advertisement from the importer and thus is known. A standard hunter is not an expert on weapons, he buys what he knows or what he is advised (ie they have in stock).
I also asked in stores what was offered and sold - Blaser/Sauer/Mauser in the lower and middle class, Tikka, Browning. Less Steyr, Haenel and Bergara.
Of course, most of it is new production from CZ.

In our country(s) it is the one that has an advertisement from the importer and thus is known. A standard hunter is not an expert on weapons, he buys what he knows or what he is advised (ie they have in stock).
I also asked in stores what was offered and sold - Blaser/Sauer/Mauser in the lower and middle class, Tikka, Browning. Less Steyr, Haenel and Bergara.
I don't know what a Haenel is, but the other rifles mentioned are ALL good choices in my opinion.

Same thing in my country. (especially about average hunters knowledge)

Last edited:
I don't know what a Haenel
Haenel is german company, with solid bolt action rifles in lower middle price market. They are owned by Merkel, and all of them are owned by Caracal company from UAE.

They were sued by H&K for some patent infringement, and H&K won.

Hunting rifle jaeger 10, is very much OK, have tried it. (it is not m98 CRF, but ok very nice with accuracy cca 1 moa)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.49 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.49 AM Large.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.51 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.51 AM Large.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.53 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.53 AM Large.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.54 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.54 AM Large.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.58 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.44.58 AM Large.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 41
Haenel is german company, with solid bolt action rifles in lower middle price market. They are owned by Merkel, and all of them are owned by Caracal company from UAE.

They were sued by H&K for some patent infringement, and H&K won.

Hunting rifle jaeger 10, is very much OK, have tried it. (it is not m98 CRF, but ok very nice with accuracy cca 1 moa)
I just looked at their website and the Jaeger 10 features and the short video. Love the wood used for their stocks, the 60 degree bolt throw (like my Browning), large bolt knob and magazine fed. Looks to me like a fine rifle for its intended use.

Looks to me like a fine rifle for its intended use.
My friend, whose rifle I tried use it extensively. (in 9.3x62)

The drawback of this rifle is: no model in 375 HH. (for the purpose of this web site ;) )

Got an R8 steel receiver, along with some Selous big bore barrels. What a setup, a beautiful gun. So what’s my obsession? Getting the 550 (.416) smoothed out, synthetic stock, Timney, Warne rings for the 550, and parts for a Model 70-like safety. Must be the fear of losing the R8 in airline transport….crazy. That R8 though, she’s a stunner in the rifle safe!

Once the safe queen is inaugurated, you definitely need to get a field working rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodAtwell

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]