Is the 275 Rigby up to larger Plains Game like kudu?

Beautiful big trophies, well done.

Thank you Kevin, I used a camp rifle. Musgrave, Swarowsky scope with a red dot, and PMP 150gr partition bullets.

FWIW my .275 Ron Wharton. As mentioned taken a lot of African PG

105F054C-7619-4601-BB30-23732BC17492.jpeg

That rifle is beautiful but the scope appears too large and unbalanced. Just one old hunters observation.

The 7-08 and 275 rigby / 7x57 are similar, but the European specs of the latter two allow for heavier bullets and a longer throat that gives them an edge in Africa over the 7-08.

The problem is that some American gunsmiths and factory guns in 7x57/275 rugby are built to throat and chamber specs similar to the 7-08, neutering its efficacy with 175gr bullets that are responsible for their storied efficacy.

I used a 416 Rigby to shoot my eland but I think a well placed Barnes X from a 7x57 would do the job although probably not the best choice .

I used a 416 Rigby to shoot my eland but I think a well placed Barnes X from a 7x57 would do the job although probably not the best choice .

My son shot his eland with a 7x64 140gr ttsx. Shot through the heart. Not a drop of blood. Several your recovery to find it dead about 200 yards away in the grass.

A 7x64 is a hotter version of a 7x57. If it couldn’t do it well, a 7x57 will only be worse.

We could critique the fact it was a 140gr rather than a 150-160gr (do they make 160?), but nonetheless the same wound channel is the same and that was the problem.

Bottom line: I don’t recommend a 7mm for eland. Even an excellent shot placement is problematic.

Have loaded my 275 with 160 grain but will not attempt to take an Eland with it. Used a 416 on Eland just recently. 275 and 270 took wildebeest and Kudu this past trip.

I may be missing something in the specifications, but I don't understand why people are nostalgic for the ".275 Rigby" vs the original 7x 57 cartridge.

If I understand correctly the cartridge cases are identical. But the 7x57 chamber throat and rifling twist are set up for optimum use of heavy for caliber bullets, 160-175 grain, while the .275 is designed for use with 140 grain bullets. Many here have recommended the use of heavy for caliber bullets to hunt most plains game, and certainly when the game is as large as eland.

I wouldn't choose a .275 loaded with the ammunition it was designed for in preference to a 7x57 with it's preferred ammo. Perhaps the new Rigby rifles can digest heavy bullet 7x57 ammo just fine, but I suggest you get assurance from Rigby on that point before committing a lot of money on a rifle that may be second best. And shooting a rifle with ammunition bearing a different head stamp than what is on the barrel can cause complications when traveling through border checks and airports. Not for me, thanks!

Mama’s 275 Rigby prefers the heavier bullets. Shoots 170gr Norma and 175 Nosler Partitions the best. I am going to be working up some loads using North Fork’s heavy bullets for this deer season.

I bought a case of Hornady 275 Rigby stamped ammo when I ordered her rifle some 10+ years ago, so we have plenty of brass.

It would not be my preferred eland cartridge, but if that was what we had in our hands and the PH gave his approval, I would shoot it. But it would have to be close and offering and excellent vital shot.

Safe shooting

170-175 gr bullets will do the trick. Ensure that your rifling twist is appropriate to stabilize the larger 7mm bullets. Two neighbors have 757s...One is a sporterized, old military Mauser that shoots the 170s just fine. The other has a much newer American factory gun that likes 140 gr and less bullets. I had a custom 7x57 Ackley Improved made and selected 1:9" (1:8" even better for the heavy pills, but I typically shoot 140s at home, so it's a compromise.) The 1:10" and 12" don't stabilize the 160s-170s so well. Many semi- and fully-custom 757s are built on Long Actions for seating the bullets way out and taking advantage of either additional powder space or hotter handloads. I LOVE my 757 AI. Super accurate. Pleasant to shoot. Choose the proper bullet, put it where it belongs and done deal every time! There's a great video out there by Mark ? of CA whereby he takes all sorts of E. African game using strictly traditional cartridges, including the 7x57 (using 175s) and fine custom rifles. There are some eland that weigh 2,400 lbs...My preference would be something larger, but the 7 will do it using the heaviest of slugs and the absolutely most perfectly placed shot(s). I could go for Eland & Eggs right about now!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mymobilityscooters8929

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?