Is a Rigby worth it?

As @SFRanger7GP notes, it is a very personal thing. For many, a rifle is a rifle is a rifle so long as it functions and is accurate. There is nothing wrong with that perception.

I too grew up fascinated with the literature surrounding Africa and the Raj. Hemingway's "Green Hills Of Africa" and especially Corbett's thin little volumes were in my father's library where I discovered them as a teenager.

A year before its release, I was under the awning of Rigby's "booth" at SCI in Vegas where Marc Newton was showing me the prototype of the then new Highland Stalker. I decided that I had to have one in .275 and was one of the first people in the States to place an order. It took several deer here, and finally accompanied me to Zambia last summer for a special plains game safari.

View attachment 460926
View attachment 460930
My Blaser R8 is probably a more "efficient" hunting rifle. But the little .275 was the perfect special thing for this hunt along the Kafue. So yes, for me, it was "worth" the expense.
Redleg could not have said it better

Definitely worth the money. I haven't looked back after my purchase of a 275, highland stalker and later a 9.3.
Plenty of trips and good memories , even the days when nothing was taken. Its good to be carrying a Rigby.
I still use several other rifles of different makes and calibre, and enjoy them as well. Were lucky to have plenty of choices.
Heres a couple of pics, cheers Mick
9.3 x62 highland stalker 250gr TSX
View attachment 461069
275 rigby
View attachment 461067
pair of stalkers
View attachment 461068
@264
Mick I could live happily with those 2 plus my 25 and not want another rifle. Very nice mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WAB
The Rigby’s are definitely worth the money just for the pleasure they give me when using them

however if you’re just chasing perfection in functionality in a hunting tool then the Blaser R8 is the king.

C9D331A2-A8E7-4D7F-8DEA-F8B10767ED98.jpeg
9E58F6BC-D316-4EE6-ADE7-823AEC5D39DE.jpeg
0C6F1EA7-7AA1-4C69-A6F7-35328C5B101C.jpeg

X1 here w/ Mauser! Mauser has a strong history of working w/ Rigby & they recently partnered again on a line of rifles.

The original question - ‘is a Rigby worth it?’ A nostalgic rifle name/brand w/ a rich history of producing quality craftsmanship in a predominantly handmade (key word) rifles - Yes, to ‘worth it’ IF that’s what you want out a firearm.

An older from England in a pub in Bulawayo, Zim of all places shared: John Sr. started the Rigby Co. in Dublin, Ireland & grandson (I believe) migrated to open a London shop.

Just me talking, a rifle is a tool & a tool I intend to fully use vs. admiring w/ a Cognac. Owning a Rigby may be more about the nostalgic history & craftsmanship to Name/Brand vs. performance, plenty of $2 -$3K pretty rifles that match or will outperform a Rigby.

Happy Trails w/ your decision …

Definitely worth the money. I haven't looked back after my purchase of a 275, highland stalker and later a 9.3.
Plenty of trips and good memories , even the days when nothing was taken. Its good to be carrying a Rigby.
I still use several other rifles of different makes and calibre, and enjoy them as well. Were lucky to have plenty of choices.
Heres a couple of pics, cheers Mick
9.3 x62 highland stalker 250gr TSX
View attachment 461069
275 rigby
View attachment 461067
pair of stalkers
View attachment 461068
@Aussie hunter
Better hurry up and grab it before Shifty sees it and snaffles it up.

No offense just curious: "...putting the best American made automobile next to a Bentley." then to say, "They will both get you from place to place...".

I'm the mid size truck type. I like plenty of horsepower for towing, 4x4 off roading to get to and from my hunting areas, the ergonomics of the mid size for turning around in rather tight spaces, the interior space to carry my gear with plenty of leg room, and plenty of power/speed and ground clearance for the beat up main/major highways.

Really....who would actually consider taking a Bentley off road?

Just asking?
@Ridge Runner
Bentley do actually make a fine off road vehicle. At around 250 to 300,000 I'm sure you could get it optioned how you want. How bout an inbuilt gunsafe for your brace of Rigby, a H&H double and a Purdy field game shot gun.
Keep dreaming
Bob

Well heck, let’s do the total package.

@SFRanger7GP
I think @Kevin Peacocke is drooling in his scotch at that flash landrover.
I can see him sitting in his chesterfield chair in the library with a cosy fire, pith helmet on the side table contemplating hast hunts and dreaming of the future hunts.
You can wake up now Kevin and go look a your old faithful landy.
Bob

@Ridge Runner
Bentley do actually make a fine off road vehicle. At around 250 to 300,000 I'm sure you could get it optioned how you want. How bout an inbuilt gunsafe for your brace of Rigby, a H&H double and a Purdy field game shot gun.
Keep dreaming
Bob
A Rigby in 275 and one in 416Rigby, a H&H double in 470NE or 500NE and a pair of 12ga Purdey's seems just about paradise on earth!

The key on any of these sorts of purchases is to not give any thought whatsoever to what anyone else thinks about such an investment. Do it or not do it based purely upon the joy the use of such a special item gives you and you alone.
+1...EXACTLY!

@SFRanger7GP
I think @Kevin Peacocke is drooling in his scotch at that flash landrover.
I can see him sitting in his chesterfield chair in the library with a cosy fire, pith helmet on the side table contemplating hast hunts and dreaming of the future hunts.
You can wake up now Kevin and go look a your old faithful landy.
Bob
I must admit, I think I would accept that beast as a gift.....

No offense just curious: "...putting the best American made automobile next to a Bentley." then to say, "They will both get you from place to place...".

I'm the mid size truck type. I like plenty of horsepower for towing, 4x4 off roading to get to and from my hunting areas, the ergonomics of the mid size for turning around in rather tight spaces, the interior space to carry my gear with plenty of leg room, and plenty of power/speed and ground clearance for the beat up main/major highways.

Really....who would actually consider taking a Bentley off road?

Just asking?
For off road you get the Bentley Bentayga all wheel drive SUV. But I would probably stick to a Yukon for that use.

They are a nice rifle, but IMO, neither the current Mauser 98 or the current base Rigby Big Game are worth what they are asking for them, $15,000, just don't see it. You can have one of the best makers in the US build exactly what you desire for a few thousand more and end up with a way nicer functional work of art, it will just take some time. The other thing to consider for value is that they kinda are propping back up the Rigby name, and there are going to be a lot of those "big game" rifles on the used market at some point for 8-10k, and thats about what their real value is. These new production "semi custom" guns are simply not going to hold their value like the old ones, and they don't have near the character. They just took 2 price increases in the last 3 years, as did everyone, but not nearly as much as all the brands in this family of companies. You used to be able to buy the Rigby 416 big game in 2018, 2019 for 10-11ish, that was a fair deal. Rigby, Blaser, Mauser, all owned by the same guy are experimenting right now with how much they can charge for their guns. If "brand name" is important to you they are all good brands and recognizable in camp. The dead giveaway on the cheapening of their processes is in the wood, really look at the inletting around bottom metal and barrel channel, fit, finish, checkering......not even close to a 15k custom.

They are a nice rifle, but IMO, neither the current Mauser 98 or the current base Rigby Big Game are worth what they are asking for them, $15,000, just don't see it. You can have one of the best makers in the US build exactly what you desire for a few thousand more and end up with a way nicer functional work of art, it will just take some time. The other thing to consider for value is that they kinda are propping back up the Rigby name, and there are going to be a lot of those "big game" rifles on the used market at some point for 8-10k, and thats about what their real value is. These new production "semi custom" guns are simply not going to hold their value like the old ones, and they don't have near the character. They just took 2 price increases in the last 3 years, as did everyone, but not nearly as much as all the brands in this family of companies. You used to be able to buy the Rigby 416 big game in 2018, 2019 for 10-11ish, that was a fair deal. Rigby, Blaser, Mauser, all owned by the same guy are experimenting right now with how much they can charge for their guns. If "brand name" is important to you they are all good brands and recognizable in camp. The dead giveaway on the cheapening of their processes is in the wood, really look at the inletting around bottom metal and barrel channel, fit, finish, checkering......not even close to a 15k custom.
Maybe I was flawed in my logic but I never once saw my purchase of a Highland Stalker as an investment. Maybe an investment in the quality of experience but not financial. As I read through this thread I am aware of three camps. # 1 The Rigby will heighten the experience. Take your rifle out and do great things # 2 Is the Rifle a sound financial investment # 3 You can buy better for cheaper from an American builder. I was asked a question a little while back while standing on a rooftop in Afghanistan while a few of us were trying to sort a problem we were given. The question was "what is the most precious resource we own / are responsible for?". This gentleman's answer to his proposed question was "TIME". You can make more money, train more people and build more equipment but we cannot buy more time. We all have a limited time on this earth and I feel if my Rigby makes that time sweeter, even if only in my own head it is worth every penny. My Rigby serves as a romantic touch point to the past while it motivates me to get out and hunt the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicholeHor

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with